just because i thought on of his movies is shit doesn't mean i don't think he's great...the top two are absolute masterpieces and the third is close enough. i'm sure he's got other great movies i haven't seen yet. i might grab mulholland drive next.

Lynch has to be my biggest blind spot in modern cinema. Over the years I've learned enough information about the man, his style and his work that I sometimes feel like I'm actually familiar with it, except that, in reality, I've only seen The Elephant Man (and that was over a decade ago) and Lost Highway. What's funny is that there's no problem of him not appealing to me - I dug the hell out of Lost Highway, and from all I've read and heard, I'm actually pretty sure he's right up my alley. Yet somehow I can never just sit down with a movie of his. (Well, there are reasons: over the past few years I've become used to catching modern filmmakers' films in weeks before the theatrical release of their new films, and since Lynch hasn't released a film since Inland Empire, I've always been preoccupied with other notable directors. Meanwhile, I'm also catching some classics, both old and modern, on whatever DVDs I can get in this country, and I actually own a 4-disc Lynch box set that includes The Elephant Man, The Straight Story, Mulholland Dr. and Inland Empire; only problem is, I also own a couple dozen films from 1960's and 1970's that I haven't seen yet, and I'd like to deal with them chronologically. I know it's largely a "problem" I created for myself, by myself, but still, those 1960's movies are pretty fascinating too. And in addition to all of this I have a life going on, too. I dunno, maybe I should just drop whatever the hell I'm doing right now and watch something of his just like that, right now. Anyway. I sure can't wait.

FEATURES

9.9 mulholland drive

9.8 eraserhead

9.5 inland empire

9.1 blue velvet

8.5 lost hightway

8.0 the elephant man

7.5 wild at heart

6.0 the straight story

3.0 twin peaks: fire walk with me

SHORTS

6.5 rabbits