luna

Lars von Trier

Not a fan of Melancholia, but I think Antichrist is fucking incredible. It had that rare effect on me where I didn't watch anything else for days after seeing it for the first time, because it just refused to leave my mind. Stunning film. Haven't seen anything else yet. 

watched a few more...

100 melancholia

99 dancer in the dark

97 breaking the waves

96 dogville

95 the idiots

93 antichrist

90 the element of crime

80 the five obstructions

80 medea

75 the boss of it all

i need to amend my initial statement that he is the greatest filmmaker alive...he is in fact the greatest ever.

Saw myself some LVT over the past month. Element of Crime and Epidemic I can take or leave, The Idiots is uneven but at times extremely powerful (and at other times really funny). Not gonna say anything original about Breaking the Waves, it's simply one of the greatest dramas ever made with one of the most amazing performances I've ever seen by Emily Watson. And for anyone who's even slightly interested in watching any of Trier's films (or has only seen his harrowing dramas) I recommend Europa which is a very entertaining, gorgeously filmed stylized neo-noir/genre exercise that's unlike anything else LVT has made - and also visually unlike almost anything I've ever seen. 

Oh, and Nymphomaniac Vol. 1 I found to be an incredibly boring, unfunny (save for the Uma Thurman scene), uninspired, flatly acted, self-masturbatory piece of shit - pretty much the movie Von Trier's haters always accuse him of making and the one they'd have a field day with. Pity, really. I didn't even go see the second part in the theater though I do intend to watch it just to finish the whole thing.

Also have yet to see The Kingdom, Dancer in the Dark, Dogville, Manderlay, Boss of It All, Medea and Five Obstructions. The first three especially I'm still very excited about but I doubt I'll have time for them in the next couple of months. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2usvKfgBjGo

Watch Europa. Honestly, I don't know how any film buff could be disappointed by it. Then Breaking the Waves. I get the complaints about Antichrist (even though I personally find it great) but none of them would apply to those two films. 

Edited by Jake Gittes

It might seem like it... to those who didn't properly use their eyes, ears or brain when watching the movie. Or turned it off halfway through.

I mean, Trier does put Watson through the wringer - he tends to do that with his female characters, to be sure - but his deep empathy towards her is unmistakable. As is his full contempt towards those who, uh, make her life worse without fully understanding her.

Again, I get the mysogyny complaint about Antichrist (even though, in my eyes, Dafoe is much more of a villain there and it's largely his actions that lead to what happens... it might be a misanthropic film, which suits my taste just fine, but it's not mysogynistic) but I have no idea what ground people applying it to BIW think they're standing on.  

Edited by Jake Gittes

Oh, and Nymphomaniac Vol. 1 I found to be an incredibly boring, unfunny (save for the Uma Thurman scene), uninspired, flatly acted, self-masturbatory piece of shit - pretty much the movie Von Trier's haters always accuse him of making and the one they'd have a field day with. Pity, really. I didn't even go see the second part in the theater though I do intend to watch it just to finish the whole thing.

I thought the same, and part 2 doesn't get any better.

FEATURES

10 melancholia

9.9 dancer in the dark

9.7 breaking the waves

9.6 dogville

9.5 the idiots

9.3 antichrist

9.0 the element of crime

8.5 epidemic

8.0 the five obstructions

8.0 medea

7.5 europa