Jack Nevada

Paul Thomas Anderson

Magnolia, for me, is easily his weakest. It doesn't lack for ambition, which is great, but its characters and their stories are very uneven in terms of how interesting and compelling they are, and it often crosses the line from an actors' showcase into LOOK AT US, WE'RE ACTING HERE! The script and direction also suffer from that, often being showy without earning it (personally, I had to keep myself from rolling my eyes during both the sing-along bit and the frogs bit). To me it feels less like an organic film and more like a collection of various things that Anderson had to get out of his system, just throwing everything that was on his mind into a single movie. Well, I'm glad he did get it out of his system because he followed it up with two original masterpieces in which everything is in its place and everything works perfectly. 

• Like 1

Oh, I was enormously touched by the sing-along scene. That's easily the highlight for me. Truly beautiful moment. And while I can see the frog device being a problem to some people, I personally liked the frogs. There's something both mischievous and graceful about it. I had a bigger problem with the annoying Julianne Moore character. 

But yeah, Magnolia's a divisive movie, it seems. 

• Like 2

1. Magnolia (A)

2. There Will Be Blood (A)

3. Boogie Nights (A)

4. The Master (A)

5. Punch-Drunk Love (B+)

Haven't seen Hard Eight.

Needless to say, Inherent Vice is one of my most anticipated movies of the rest of the year.