CJohn

The Hunger Games OS thread: 258M Total

The next big WW phenomenon? Will it be big OS? Are the books popular enough?I think it won't do the same as Twilight (almost 200M). But Catching Fire will definitly increase OS. Is rollout begins in March and continues in April.Discuss and have fun!Predictions:Noctis - 315MHeretic - "250m-300m is doable"Ball Lightning - $280mJuby - 260MAmerican Eagle - 255Mfiredeep - "Mid 200M"Magic - 240Miceroll - 235MFake - 200MNeo - 195MLuffy - 150MThe Hand of Illumination - 145M

Edited by CJohn

The next big WW phenomenon? Will it be big OS? Are the books popular enough?

I would like to know, too. In the USA it sold something like 23.5 mio copies max, but I didn't find anything regarding intl sales.In Germany it did never better than number 5 in the Spiegel bestseller list if I get it right.

Japan may be a wildcard because it's quite similar to Battle Royale, and that film did pretty well, 2.5m tickets (3rd highest grossing Japanese film of the year). I assume from that that the novel was popular. It also spawned a manga that ran up to 2006 (according to wiki).I have a feeling it'll be "meh", but not an outright disaster.

Edited by lab276

I wouldn't say that 5M copies sold by the time the first Twilight film opened would indicate explosive interest at that point. It seems like it didn't really lift off until after the film opened. I still can't find total OS sales for THG but they probably would be in a similar ballpark by mid March. This won't be huge OS but I think it can do solid numbers. 240M-250 is attainable IMO.

Edited by Magic

You always seem so pessimistic pinocchio... The Hunger Games is hugely popular in English-speaking countries especially, and it'll likely catch on in many of the bigger European countries like France, Spain, Iitaly and Germany.... 200m should be easy enough to clear. The target is 250m+ imo.

You always seem so pessimistic pinocchio... The Hunger Games is hugely popular in English-speaking countries especially, and it'll likely catch on in many of the bigger European countries like France, Spain, Iitaly and Germany.... 200m should be easy enough to clear. The target is 250m+ imo.

It's not pessimism. It's just that I didn't find any indications the books are big outside the USA. And the movie surely needs the books to push it. That's all. ;)