It’s time to celebrate the movie man himself. The man who birthed the blockbuster. The man who directed some of the greatest films ever made. The man who could make hit after hit without even trying. The man who invented the blockbuster, brought back the dinosaurs, gave us a friendly alien, showcased the horrors of the Holocaust, took us into sci-fi landscapes
It’s time to celebrate the one and only Steven Spielberg! This time, through a fun countdown where we create the definitive ranking of all the movies he directed.
Your job is very simple: PM me your rankings of your favorite Steven Spielberg movies. From Duel to Ready Player One.
However, there are a couple more rules you need to understand:
1. Only theatrically-released movies directed by Steven Spielberg are allowed. No movies he produced, written, or cameoed in. So no Poltergeist, no Gremlins, no Back to the Future, no Roger Rabbit etc. None of his TV episodes or TV movies will qualify, with the exception of Duel, because it was released theatrically overseas, making it qualify under a technicality. I’m also excluding Twilight Zone: The Movie, because he only directed one segment from that movie, and because it gives people one less film to worry about.
I shrunk this down because I want to look at the movies that define the man best, and also because it’s easier for you and me. As for the TV movies he made pre-Duel, this is also because, while not impossible, they aren’t the easiest movies to find.
These are the movies you can put onto your own list
2. The Sugarland Express
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
6. Raiders of the Lost Ark
7. E. T. the Extra-Terrestrial
8. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
9. The Color Purple
10. Empire of the Sun
12. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
14. Jurassic Park
15. Schindler’s List
16. The Lost World: Jurassic Park
18. Saving Private Ryan
19. A. I. Artificial Intelligence
20. Minority Report
21. Catch Me If You Can
22. The Terminal
23. War of the Worlds
25. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
26. The Adventures of Tintin
27. War Horse
29. Bridge of Spies
30. The BFG
31. The Post
32. Ready Player One
If any list has a movie that is not in that pool, I will ask for you to change your list accordingly.
2. To allow your list to go through, you are required to send it through PM. You are more than free to share your list in this thread, and I strongly encourage people to, as well as FYC the Spielberg titles you love. However, if you want it to count, you have to send it through PM. No exceptions!
2. I don’t expect people to put every movie onto their list, and that’s totally okay. The minimum number I will ask for your list is 10, about a third of his filmography. However, I strongly encourage people to see as many Spielberg movies as possible, both to make the rankings and lists stronger and more accurate, but also so people can see some of his films that do not have the cultural reverence as E.T. or Indiana Jones. So don’t be lazy.
3. If you are wondering where you can find some of these movies, the best place to look is on the website JustWatch.com. It’s an excellent database on where to find the best places and deals to stream any movie.
4. Voting will continue from now until November 30, 2020. Essentially, you’ve got until Thanksgiving weekend to watch the Spielberg joints you missed. I don’t know when exactly the countdown will start, but I do plan on finishing it on December 18. That’s Stevie’s birthday!
Number 1. 10 points
Number 2. 9 Points
Numbers 3 - 4. 8 Points
Numbers 5 - 6. 7 Points
7 - 8. 6 Points
9 - 10. 5 Points
11 - 15. 4 Points
16 - 20. 3 Points
21 - 25. 2 Points
26 - 32. 1 Points