Neo

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves | March 31, 2023 | Paramount | Amazon Prime advance screenings March 19 @ 2 PM

@Ethan Hunt

Warner Bros’ fantasy film Dungeons And Dragons, the movie based on the role-playing game that began in 1974 and has built a multi-generational cult following worldwide, is moving forward with word coming that YA favorite Ansel Elgort is in early negotiations to star in the project — a primo role for any actor.

Dungeons And Dragons, to be directed by Rob Letterman, has been a top priority film for Warner Bros. which is looking for new franchises to invigorate the studio. The property was, at one point, the center of litigation as who had the rights. Thatwas resolved last August.

David Leslie Johnson (The Conjuring 2) scripted the fantasy story for the studio. Hasbro’s Brian Goldner and Stephen Davis, Sweetpea Entertainment’s Courtney Solomon and Allan Zeman, and Roy Lee are producing.

33 minutes ago, Chewy said:

who can blame them after Warcraft's success

Yeah. The problem is that there's just no way to do D&D justice on the screen. A bunch of people have played the game, but no two groups play it the same way. There's no central story to tell that everyone can relate to.

Some folks are in Greyhawk, some are in Forgotten Realms, some are in Dark Sun, some are in Spelljammer, plus lots of others and even among people in the same setting some are playing 3.5 or 4 or 5, and there are probably still some die-hards playing 1st or 2nd edition. All those different groups will be in different worlds with different cultures and gods and enemies. And some groups are playing good characters and some evil, some are barbarians warriors while others are crusading knights and others are pirates or thieves or whatever.

Plus, the characters and setting is just backdrop anyway since the important part of the game is the interaction between the people playing. There's just no way to tell a story that everyone can relate to like Warcraft had.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

On 6/27/2016 at 11:31 PM, department store basement said:

The problem isn't just that there's already a D&D movie, it's that there's already a good D&D movie.

It's called The Last Witch Hunter.

Oh, c'mon, that was awful.

I saw it with Wrathette #1 when it first came out. Afterwards we were discussing it, and she wondered if Diesel made a deal with Universal after FF6. The deal being that for every FF movie he did, they had to agree to make a movie about one of his D&D characters. We then spent a few days trying to find out what other characters he plays and speculating on it.

Edited by Wrath

On 6/27/2016 at 10:02 PM, Wrath said:

Yeah. The problem is that there's just no way to do D&D justice on the screen. A bunch of people have played the game, but no two groups play it the same way. There's no central story to tell that everyone can relate to.

Some folks are in Greyhawk, some are in Forgotten Realms, some are in Dark Sun, some are in Spelljammer, plus lots of others and even among people in the same setting some are playing 3.5 or 4 or 5, and there are probably still some die-hards playing 1st or 2nd edition. All those different groups will be in different worlds with different cultures and gods and enemies. And some groups are playing good characters and some evil, some are barbarians warriors while others are crusading knights and others are pirates or thieves or whatever.

Plus, the characters and setting is just backdrop anyway since the important part of the game is the interaction between the people playing. There's just no way to tell a story that everyone can relate to like Warcraft had.

That's why they can always use Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, the Drizzt novels, etc as source inspiration

• Like 2

On 7/2/2016 at 10:08 AM, 4815162342 said:

That's why they can always use Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, the Drizzt novels, etc as source inspiration

I doubt they'll lead off w/ the Drizzt novels, but I'm praying whatever they do, it succeeds so that I'll eventually get the Drizzt novels. 

19 hours ago, UrosepsisFace said:

I doubt they'll lead off w/ the Drizzt novels, but I'm praying whatever they do, it succeeds so that I'll eventually get the Drizzt novels. 

You've got a lot of praying to do! I really can't see this succeeding, it's way too nerdy for the GA and that's not even its main problem. The biggest problem is, I don't think Hollywood has what it takes to actually pull this off without making it cheesy as hell.  It might end up still being fun to people who enjoy this kind of stuff(like Warcraft was to me despite its flaws) but I doubt they could pull off an actual great movie out of it. Same issue for video-game movies.

I'm ready to be proven wrong though.