Neo

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves | March 31, 2023 | Paramount | Amazon Prime advance screenings March 19 @ 2 PM

This movie feels like this will be like Pacific Rim. It's not gonna bomb like I expected it to, but its numbers are still gonna be pretty meh with a ceiling of $300M WW plus some change. Only difference is that it'll do good domestically while bad worldwide. If it does well on home media and streaming it could get a sequel but with a reduced budget.

The trailers really did this movie no favors, IDK who's idea it was to put Led Zepplin over a trailer for a fantasy trailer but they need to be slapped. 

2 minutes ago, AGlitchGnome said:

I'm trying to think of the last movie that had great reviews/WOM but bombed because of its budget. Alita is the first thing that comes to mind? Edge of Tomorrow was similar but not as drastic I think.

The Suicide Squad, but that had a day 1 streaming release

4 minutes ago, AGlitchGnome said:

I'm trying to think of the last movie that had great reviews/WOM but bombed because of its budget. Alita is the first thing that comes to mind? Edge of Tomorrow was similar but not as drastic I think.

Alita had meh WOM outside the core fanbase. Edge of Tomorrow is a more apt comparison IMO.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AGlitchGnome said:

I've been wrestling with this as well. 

It's on the family friendly type of film, but , the Paddington films likely qualify. The second one in particular did horribly domestically.

In terms of a blockbuster action/comedy type film though, it's hard to think of something like this not ultimately connecting with these type of reviews. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AGlitchGnome said:

The most famous is Dredd. Phenomenal movie with great reviews. Fucking nobody saw it in theaters.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Blade Runner 2049

Ik BR2049 has an A- CS, but that movie isn't a crowd pleaser like this. The best comparison would be Edge of Tomorrow.

Alita reviews had a very mixed critical reception so that doesn't match either

17 hours ago, AGlitchGnome said:

It was ALMOST Puss in Boots 2, til the insane legs DOM and WW.

I'll hold on to the hopium until the actuals come in, but unfortunately I agree that things are looking bleak for the next couple weeks. Although Mario is looking to suck up all the business next week, maybe there will be some spill over looking to check this out since they have similar target audiences and it should have good WOM?

18 minutes ago, Maggie said:

One thing for sure: you can't blame Paramount for not trying. It's just that these type of sword-and-sandal movies are dated, not something people get hyped for.

I will blame them for the trailers. I thought the first one was fine/good, but I thought it looked like it was gonna be good on the knowledge of who the filmmakers are. Without that knowledge, I could see people thinking it looks stupid, which seems to be A LOT of people going off of social media and even people here. Trailers didn't make it look great

At the same time, it's probably a pretty hard movie to make a truly great trailer for

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Paddington 2 made $200M with a $50M budget. hard to spin that as a bomb.

people just look at the box office figures without taking the budget into consideration. You see that an awful lot here.

Paddington  2 made a good,solid profit for the studio.

2 hours ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

DREDD didn't bomb because of its budget though. It bombed because of its pathetically low gross.

This, Dredd had a low budget.

There is diffrence between a movie that has poor ticket sales, and a movie that sells a reasonable number of tickets but sitll fails because it cost too much to be profitible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

One thing for sure: you can't blame Paramount for not trying. It's just that these type of sword-and-sandal movies are dated, not something people get hyped for.

True..though  I think the trailers, were not very good.

It could be situation of Paramount spending the money in  marketing , but not spending it well

But I lerned a long time ago that many--in my  opinon.. good movies fail at the box office, and many bad..in my opinion... movies are big hits.Just the way the world works.