Neo

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves | March 31, 2023 | Paramount | Amazon Prime advance screenings March 19 @ 2 PM

11 hours ago, Arlborn said:

You've got a lot of praying to do! I really can't see this succeeding, it's way too nerdy for the GA and that's not even its main problem. The biggest problem is, I don't think Hollywood has what it takes to actually pull this off without making it cheesy as hell.  It might end up still being fun to people who enjoy this kind of stuff(like Warcraft was to me despite its flaws) but I doubt they could pull off an actual great movie out of it. Same issue for video-game movies.

I'm ready to be proven wrong though.

Have you read the books of R. A. Salvatore? Tolkien, and LotR lead to this genre, and several world-builders have separated from the pact as being great fantasy writers. Of those, imo, the three stories I felt could best fit a cinematic universe would be George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, and R. A. Salvatore's Forgotten Realms work. Wheel of Time will soon be adapted, and interestingly, it was probably Jordan's recommendation that had so many people reading Martin's first book. Martin's work, already, has shown itself to possibly be the most popular thing on television. R. A. Salvatore's work is serious and meticulous in the same vein as these great writers. Unfortunately, our movie-going audience has seemingly regressed to hating anything serious, so movie studios will try to lead off w/ the action/comedy approach. That could take something fantastic, if taken seriously, into campy cheesy trash. Imo, a huge gamble would be to dive right in and do both...a team-up in the same light as Avengers/GotG while doing a serious adaptation of a Drizzt novel for a second movie in the same year. If the first fails because it's too cheesy, the second one still has a chance to succeed because the built-in fanbase knows and loves Drizzt.

Also, they simply need a good CGI dragon. Warcraft looked like a video game. Dungeons and Dragons have never had a video-game aesthetic.

• Like 1

There's a chance that Bautista's gonna be in:

-Dune

-Army of The Dead

-The Suicide Squad

-Dungeons & Dragons

In the span of 2 years. I guess he really doesn't need the Guardians franchise after all.

He was really good in his short screentime in Blade Runner 2049, so I'm happy he's breaking out

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TMP said:

There's a chance that Bautista's gonna be in:

-Dune

-Army of The Dead

-The Suicide Squad

-Dungeons & Dragons

In the span of 2 years. I guess he really doesn't need the Guardians franchise after all.

He was really good in his short screentime in Blade Runner 2049, so I'm happy he's breaking out

Also, surprisingly pulled off a different ethnicity in Hotel Artemis

2 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

There are many many people who are familiar with Dungeons & Dragons, and I'm sure the film would hit big if it's good. I'm definitely rooting for this because Paramount needs many big hits to get them back on track.

Most people probably didn't even know about what D&D was until Stranger Things ngl...