Neo

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves | March 31, 2023 | Paramount | Amazon Prime advance screenings March 19 @ 2 PM

I expected this to be a little more aware ala Jumanji Next Gen, but I don't hate what I'm seeing. It look like "We just slapped the DnD name on a generic fantasy film" so far, but my tabletop role playing knowledge comes from reading a few guidebooks and listening to TAZ so maybe there's something obvious I'm not getting so far.

When I read the early descriptions of this project I was expecting something like "Princess bride" and "Stardust", as in movies that manage to mix humour to romance and epic with an healthy balance, providing a fantasy that's ultimately fun but really heartfelt and occasionally dark at times, too.

This, however, looks more like every marvel movie that aims at mindless fun and seeks teenage boys as its main audience, so it's an utter disappointment and an hard pass for me. I will say that everyone looks really beautiful though.

18 hours ago, filmlover said:

Is this supposed to be an action-comedy because everyone in this looks so ridiculous that it has to be intentional. Would make sense given the Game Night guys are directing this.

WHich I think is the right approach for a D and D movie. Play a lot of it for laughs.

• ...wtf 1

12 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

When I read the early descriptions of this project I was expecting something like "Princess bride" and "Stardust", as in movies that manage to mix humour to romance and epic with an healthy balance, providing a fantasy that's ultimately fun but really heartfelt and occasionally dark at times, too.

This, however, looks more like every marvel movie that aims at mindless fun and seeks teenage boys as its main audience, so it's an utter disappointment and an hard pass for me. I will say that everyone looks really beautiful though.

Just like the actual game........

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Just like the actual game........

Of Course! This looks coherent with the game and its fanbase, it's just not my cup of tea.

I was hoping for something more classical in the vein of the 80's fantasy films, but I can't really complain since I have the new LOTR and Willow series to look for, and The Green Knight also felt somewhat satisfying as an epic/serious take on medieval fantasy.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

1 hour ago, Grebacio said:

Trailer didn't look really expensive. I guess budget is 150M-ish

To me, that sounds a little too expensive for this. If it's good, I would expect a domestic opening weekend in the $40m range maybe. That would be fine, but not really great for a movie with a $150m-ish budget.

To me, this doesn't seem like anything that's gonna explode to like $70m OW (I feel like D&D is too niche. A big niche, certainly, but still). So I hope they can be careful with that budget.

Looks fun. Honestly with something like D&D, which has extremely varied settings and basically the ability to play however you want, it is not necessarily a bad idea for the first venture to be Fantasy Guardians of the Galaxy to ease theater audiences into the franchise.

You can have serious tragedy epics, you can have wacky misfits, you can have slick heists, there's a lot to play with. The direction they're going for the first entry makes some sense as a starting point for what could be a lot of different things

• Like 6