Neo

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves | March 31, 2023 | Paramount | Amazon Prime advance screenings March 19 @ 2 PM

5 hours ago, Reddroast said:

No but a large number of diehards are boycotting. To explain what happened: WOTC ( the subsidy of Hasbro that controls DND) changed the ogl so that if you where someone who made 3rd party campaigns and sold them... If you made a certain amount of money off it ($750,000+) you would have to 25% of that to WOTC. They also put a similar tax on streaming campaigns (think critical role). 

Add to that comments by WOTC leadership about DND being treated like a video game... The die-hards snapped

Once again, the precentage of D and D nerds boycotting the film will have little if any effect on the final Box Offce.

And yo8 know some of the nerds screaming loudest will still plunk down their ten bucks.

Problme with many nerds is they are not nearly a powerful as they think they are.

I have my doubts about how this film will do at the box office, but noe becuase of the kerfuffle  over D and D.

4 hours ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

This trailer is even worse, just way too much humor.

I think it's meant to be pretty much a comedy adventure.

Which is fine if it's actually funny.

And I think it's the right approach for and D and D movie. Try to make it serious and it will turn out badly, I guarantee you.

Of course if the humor falls flat, the film is in real trouble.

God, some people want everything to be dead serious.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And I think it's the right approach for and D and D movie. Try to make it serious and it will turn out badly, I guarantee you.

It's more that most blockbusters are now adding unneeded humor in their films to attract audiences. Even smaller budgets like Meghan are using that tactic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

There's a difference between being serious and taking itself seriously. I think what a lot of people want for these movies is to ditch the overload of obnoxious meta humor and take themselves seriously. You can do that and still have humour.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Chris Pine needs a better agent.

Yeah i always thought It's kinda weird that the 1-2 combo of Hell or High Water and Wonder Woman didn't lead to him getting better more prestigious roles. I guess Outlaw King was a worthy followup on paper (Netflix's biggest film at the time) but then it lukewarm reactions and probably wasn't that big a hit on the service (though I really like it personally). It's kinda sad seeing his filmography since, especially bc I think he's the best Chris in terms of acting range by quite a bit

I'm personally excited for this tho. I think this trailer just feels like more of the same, but it looks fun to me. I'm confident it'll get good reactions out of SXSW. But yeah this trailer feels like it didn't land very well across the internet, both in terms of impact and visibility. It just kinda dropped. Should've waited for the Superbowl I think

Edited by Pinacolada

1 hour ago, Pinacolada said:

It's kinda sad seeing his filmography since, especially bc I think he's the best Chris in terms of acting range but quite a bit

he's probably the only one of the 4 chris' with any acting range at all lol. tarantino loves him so i feel like that's a collaboration that'll happen eventually, either on tv or film. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I see Hollywood is still working overtime to undo all the goodwill LOTR / GOT did for the fantasy genre.  This looks exactly like every other shitty fantasy media in recent years except with inserted humor / jokes.

That fits DnD tho!

Fact is, Fantasy has been up and down; it seems like when a fantasy film is a huge hit like lLOTR..it spawns a lot of imitators most of which fail at the box office. Of all the LOTR wannabes, only the Narnia films did well, and that was short lived.

On 1/23/2023 at 11:10 PM, DAJK said:

Idk I thought this trailer was fun as hell. I'm looking forward to it, but yea John Carter numbers are probably the best this can hope for. Warcraft is more likely.

But Fantasy has got to be serious! Can't have any Fun.....

20 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

I just can't get onboard with a medieval-esque fantasy film where everyone speaks like they time-traveled from 2022. 

I think that meant to be part of the humor.

People having a hard time getting this was meant primarily as a comedy with some action.

https://deadline.com/2023/02/2023-super-bowl-movie-trailers-the-flash-fast-x-transformers-ant-man-expected-1235247160/

Paramount, too, has a rich history with the Super Bowl. This year we hear there will be spots for Scream VI (March 10), Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (March 31) and Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (June 9). Not expected: a trailer for Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (July 14). Paramount had one for Mission: Impossible Fallout back during Super Bowl 2018.

• Like 1