Neo

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves | March 31, 2023 | Paramount | Amazon Prime advance screenings March 19 @ 2 PM

2 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

When I read the early descriptions of this project I was expecting something like "Princess bride" and "Stardust", as in movies that manage to mix humour to romance and epic with an healthy balance, providing a fantasy that's ultimately fun but really heartfelt and occasionally dark at times, too.

This, however, looks more like every marvel movie that aims at mindless fun and seeks teenage boys as its main audience, so it's an utter disappointment and an hard pass for me. I will say that everyone looks really beautiful though.

I feel you. It's like stuffing your movie with jokes is going the easy route. Whereas when playing it straight your really have to bring the goods.

However, to my surprise, i wasn't appalled by the trailer, it even got a few chuckles out of me. And recently i enjoyed The Legend of Vox Machina on Amazon Prime which was going for a similar tone so i might check it out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

"Here's the thing."

The very first line in the trailer is a late 20th/early 21st century anachronism. 🤦‍♂️

I mean the film is not taking place on Earth so there's no reason for it to follow medieval human language

• Like 3

As someone who played multiple versions of DND this looks really good. I was expecting the GOTG vibes considering the directors but I wasn't the trailer to be this good. They really did their research. For example having Pine's character (who's obviously the leader) be a bard is something you see in a lot of groups

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Last Man Standing said:

Anachronistic, quip filled fantasy cheesefest is exactly what a D&D movie SHOULD be like. I feel some people here who may have expected a LotR type movie never experienced the game. 

DnD is basically a rulebook. There is no rule in there as far as i know dictating the tone. DnD stories run the whole gamut, from funny to serious.

Edited by Elessar

10 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

When I read the early descriptions of this project I was expecting something like "Princess bride" and "Stardust", as in movies that manage to mix humour to romance and epic with an healthy balance, providing a fantasy that's ultimately fun but really heartfelt and occasionally dark at times, too.

One of my favorite genres, but I struggle to think of anything quality besides the exact two you named 😔

I feel like it's a massive missed opportunity to not move up the release date to this September 2 or 9. 

I know this is a VFX heavy movie and they probably need more time, but this movie wrapped in August 2021. That's a full year before September 2022. I feel like they could have accomplished it. 

This late August/Early September is a WASTELAND, whereas 2023 is already filling up pretty fast. Feel like it could've done Free Guy numbers and legs if it had all of September to its self.

In That March 3 2023 spot, it's sandwiched between antman and aquaman. Granted, those r both 2 weeks apart before and after it, but haven't there been rumblings that Creed 3 is moving to that March 3 spot? Internationally DnD wouldn't have to worry that much, but domestically I feel like Creed would give DnD a run for its money. Plus, Creed 3 was shot with imax cameras, meaning it would get Large format theaters over DnD. In a September 2022 spot, it could have Imax and Dolby for 2 weeks uninterrupted 

21 hours ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

"Here's the thing."

The very first line in the trailer is a late 20th/early 21st century anachronism. 🤦‍♂️

I think that was the point.

And, anyway, "Game Over: in ROTK was a lot worse.

Edited by dudalb