baumer

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

117 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It's alright. Cumberbatch is absolutely fantastic but let down completely by the script. There was all-time potential there gone to waste, his resolution is really, really unsatisfying IMO and his big reveal is so deflated.

The opening scene has nothing on that of the first but it picks up quickly after that. The scene with Khan 'helping' the child was chilling, Giacchino's music was hypnotic there. The middle portion of the movie is immensely boring. The last act is an improvement, but again I found what happened to Khan really unsatisfying and giving his blood to revive Kirk was daft.

Pine and Quinto are great but Kirk's death scene falls flat. Alice Eve shouldn't have been there and her underwear scene is hilariously forced. Simon Pegg is, as always, like a power drill to my head.

Giacchino's theme for Khan is awesome, some of his best work ever but I swear I never need to hear that main theme again. So, so overused. Here's the Enterprise *theme blares*. It's tiresome after maybe the fourth time.

6/10

• Like 3

OK, so I have a question. If they are keeping Khan alive and super-pointless Marcus chick, than they will pursue the Kirk`s son plot from WoK in the sequel, no? There`s no other reason why they`d add her and keep him alive unless STiD is a part 1 or a two aprter so to speak.

Fantastic film!I'm not a Trekkie or whatever someone who is into Star Trek is called, and I thoroughly enjoyed it (moreso than ST09). Will post more later if I get a chance.9.0/10.0

Have you seen Wrath of Khan?

It was good, but nothing special. A well-crafted generic sci-fi action. Didn't like the way handled the WoK plot, Cumberbach easily stole the show. It's fast paced and entertaining though. 

A-

Edited by Alfred Beyond The Pines

It was good, but nothing special. A well-crafted generic sci-fi action. Didn't like the way handled the WoK plot, Cumberbach easily stole the show. It's fast paced and entertaining though. 

A-

A- is too high for a generic sci fi unless the movie wasn`t as generic as you claim.

Nope. I've only seen ST09 and this. I was (thankfully) forced to watch ST09, but prior to that thought Star Trek was mega nerds.

You should watch Wrath of Khan. It really is a companion to this film.

I'll give it a C, but mostly because the chemistry between Kirk and Spock and between Uhura and Spock is pretty good.

The first 40 minutes are entertaining. About the same level of fun as ST 2009, but when they reach the Klingon planet it starts to fall apart. The pacing during act 2 is a drag, and the whole "Admiral trying to start a war" cliche really doesn't work. Speaking of cliches, here's another movie giving us a villain who gets captured on purpose, as part of his Machiavellian scheme plot.

But a few cliches are nothing compared to what comes next....

(I should mention at this point that I love Wrath of Khan. It's easily the best Trek movie, and is one of the best movies of its kind ever made.) 

The way the incredible conclusion of Wrath of Khan is shamelessly STOLEN here is astonishing. Ballsy, yeah. Taking the piss? Oh yeah! Whole lines of dialogue, entire scenes even, just copy and pasted.... from a MASSIVELY BETTER MOVIE. I can't wait until JJ does EP7 and includes the carbonite chamber scene, "I love you", "I know" and all that. With added lens flares. Can't... wait...

After that it's OK. There's magical blood. And then the theme tune.

My guess is that if WOK means nothing to you you'll enjoy this - it's breezy, amusing, well directed. But if those last 20 minutes of WOK mean a lot to you then the way it's been bastardized in this movie will piss you off no end.

Edited by yads
  • Like 4

Good point. haven`t seen the movie but since his blood raises from the dead one gotta wonder.

Eh, once a fracnhise takes the bring-back route it`s POTC all over again.

Star Trek already has that effect in canon, its nothing new. Complaining about it now is about 35 years too late. The blood will only work for a short time after death, its not a universal cure. Voyager also has 'death cures' in it. It will never be seen again.

Edited by Rovex

I'll give it a C, but mostly because the chemistry between Kirk and Spock and between Uhura and Spock is pretty good.

The first 40 minutes are entertaining. About the same level of fun as ST 2009, but when they reach the Klingon planet it starts to fall apart. The pacing during act 2 is a drag, and the whole "Admiral trying to start a war" cliche really doesn't work. Speaking of cliches, here's another movie giving us a villain who gets captured on purpose, as part of his Machiavellian scheme plot.

But a few cliches are nothing compared to what comes next....

(I should mention at this point that I love Wrath of Khan. It's easily the best Trek movie, and is one of the best movies of its kind ever made.) 

The way the incredible conclusion of Wrath of Khan is shamelessly STOLEN here is astonishing. Ballsy, yeah. Taking the piss? Oh yeah! Whole lines of dialogue, entire scenes even, just copy and pasted.... from a MASSIVELY BETTER MOVIE. I can't wait until JJ does EP7 and includes the carbonite chamber scene, "I love you", "I know" and all that. With added lens flares. Can't... wait...

After that it's OK. There's magical blood. And then the theme tune.

My guess is that if WOK means nothing to you you'll enjoy this - it's breezy, amusing, well directed. But if those last 20 minutes of WOK mean a lot to you then the way it's been bastardized in this movie will piss you off no end.

Thats a very cynical way to look at it. Actually the intent of the movie is to show parallels across the realities. Anyone who has watched the new Battlestar Galactica series will know all out parallels in time and space, and Scifi in general.

• Like 2

Thats a very cynical way to look at it. Actually the intent of the movie is to show parallels across the realities. Anyone who has watched the new Battlestar Galactica series will know all out parallels in time and space, and Scifi in general.

Maybe I'm just being overly cynical. I don't know. But I strongly disliked the WOK stuff, and the two people I saw the film with were also big fans of WOK and felt exactly the same way. Like I wrote before, I suspect how well you like that part of the film depends on your view of WOK.

I don't mind referencing the other ST timeline, but I felt this was so close to the other timeline that it was almost a parody.

And for the record, I adore BSG. It's my favourite tv show of all time.

• Like 1

Star Trek already has that effect in canon, its nothing new. Complaining about it now is about 35 years too late. The blood will only work for a short time after death, its not a universal cure. Voyager also has 'death cures' in it. It will never be seen again.

Yeha, I know but since this trek is tyring to be untrek a spossible they could`ve ditched that effect altogether. since it sucked in canon too.