baumer

Titanic | James Cameron | Pretend it's 1997 all over again (The pure awe of Titanic's run)

This was one of the more fun threads we had at Mojo. Titanic's run was obviously before Mojo forums were formed, so none of us got to witness its historic run as a community. But it would have been a fun time.The buzz about Titanic before it came out was that of John Carter. It was, no question. It was delayed from the summer to the winter, the budget had sky-rocketed and Paramount was pissed and so sure it was going to lose money that it sold the foreign rights to Fox, just is the mere hope that they would break even.Then the film opened.And the rest they say is history.The original thread chronicled the month before it came out, we re-enacted everything....the negativity, the Cameron bashing, Guru's prediction (very funny stuff) the tears it brought us to while viewing it, the backlash, the dailies, everything.....Rules....use common sense. If you are going to participate in this, remember, this is starting in November of 1997, act accordingly. Don't skip ahead too much, no more than a few days at a time.Have some fun, and remember what it was like to witness the greatest (imo) run in box office history.Enjoy.We'll start as if it is November 15th

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

As much as I love Cameron, this really does look like a vanity project. A 200 million dollar budget? Are you freakin kidding me? And its about a romance on the ship? I don't get it.And can someone tell me who Kate Winslet is? I'm glad to see my boy Bill Paxton in this, but it doesn't look like even he will be able to save this mess. But...in JAMES we trust. It comes out in 5 weeks, curious to see the reviews.

• Like 6

lol this film is such a disaster coming? 200 million for a 3 hour historical movie... Zero Appeal to women..

I think women might be interested in the romance part, it's more the guys I'm worried about. I'll see it because I love Cameron, and I'm sure my girlfriend will go, but how many guys are really going to check this out?
  • Like 3

The shock of Titanic flying past #1 spot dom, OS and WW when SW just recalimed #1 thanks to re-release #5000 must have bene too much for geeks.

True, but we are now in 1997, not 2013. :)
  • Like 2

Why the hell is the director of Terminator making a corny love story? This won't appeal to males at all...

That's the part I can't figure out. Termintor, True Lies, Aliens and TITANIC? WTF.

Wow, what a flop. Cameron doomed the movie with his delay.  :lol:

Yep, the delay does not bode well for this. A Christmas movie about a sinking of a ship? Weird.

Cameron is an irresponsible director, I read that stuntsmen were badly injured and he didn't give two shits!

What a maniac.

Mr Cameron, safety first on a shoot, please.

Jim Cameron and Love Story  ? Pluuuueeeaase !!!

He should have made Spiderman.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

That's the part I can't figure out. Termintor, True Lies, Aliens and TITANIC? WTF. 

It's running time will kill its chances anyway. No-ones's going to want to sit through a 3 hour+ romance. It's not Gone With The Wind ferchrissake.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

Doomed for failure. $200m budget with two major studios splitting the cost because they both think it's a huge risk. The delay is going to kill it as well. No way it will do very well in December.

That's got to be the most concering part, Paramount selling foreign rights to Fox.  I assume they have seen the film by now.....not good.