baumer

Titanic | James Cameron | Pretend it's 1997 all over again (The pure awe of Titanic's run)

Just now, baumer said:

I saw it twice when rereleased in 3D and I'd go again to see it on the big screen.  I can't get enough of it.

yeah I had plans to see it a second time when it was re-released, but the person I was with changed their mind when we were in the parking lot of the theater. :(

but yeah I would see it again on the big screen if it ever popped up again

• Like 1

There was one part of Titanic where I thought the script was weak and it was when Jack and Rose meet the day after he saves her and they are talking about his drawings and such.  

Turns out, Cameron wanted Kate and Leo to improvise that whole scene....he wanted it to feel like two people who had never met kind of having an awkward moment together.  So, the joke is on me.  

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

There was one part of Titanic where I thought the script was weak and it was when Jack and Rose meet the day after he saves her and they are talking about his drawings and such.  

Turns out, Cameron wanted Kate and Leo to improvise that whole scene....he wanted it to feel like two people who had never met kind of having an awkward moment together.  So, the joke is on me.  

that's funny :P

yeah I am not taking a shot at the script, although I don't think I have heard anyone in their lives use other people's first names that many times ever let alone in 3 hours :P  and the "I just realized I already knew" line, which isn't the worst, but my friends always used it as a joke afterwards.  again, very, VERY, minor qualms.  But i can do that with any movie I like, I just don't let it take away from the film :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Telemachos said:

I've only seen TITANIC three times. I don't think I've watched it from start-to-finish on home video or TV. 

You'll hate it now.  You hate almost everything.  James should have cut the movie down to 65 minutes, have Kate meet Leo, have Leo draw her, have sex with her and then sink the ship for the next 60 minutes.  That's your kind of movie now. :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Well, speaking of playing again in theaters, it's playing in Toronto.  This is about a 45 minute drive for me so I don't know if I can make it tonight for 7pm

http://www.tribute.ca/showtimes/movie/toronto/titanic/172/

you'll find a way to make it.  besides if you miss the first 10 minutes, you still have 3+ hours to catch up with it :P 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

You'll hate it now.  You hate almost everything.  James should have cut the movie down to 65 minutes, have Kate meet Leo, have Leo draw her, have sex with her and then sink the ship for the next 60 minutes.  That's your kind of movie now. :)

:rofl: 

• Like 3

Jack:  Don't jump.  Chipewa Falls....indoor girl....thousand tiny knives....you jump I jump

Rose:  Thanks for saving me...come draw me like your french girls.

Jack...I'm nervous....I know Money wasn't, but he drew landscapes.  Thanks for the dime.  

Rose:  Incredible drawing.  Put your hands on me Jack.

Guys who think they have Kate and Leo:  GOTCHA!

Cut to deck of ship:  Two guys on lookout:  ICEBERG RIGHT AHEAD.

Kate and Leo manoeuvre through the ship....ship is about to sink.

Next hour....the band plays, time for an Absolution....I'll never let go Kate whistles and then COME ABOUT!!!

Paxton throws Coeur de la mer in the ocean

62 MINUTES LATER CREDITS ROLL.

Tele's review:

10/10...perfection.

:)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Jack:  Don't jump.  Chipewa Falls....indoor girl....thousand tiny knives....you jump I jump

Jack...I'm nervous....I know Money wasn't, but he drew landscapes.  Thanks for the dime.  

Next hour....the band plays, time for an Absolution....I'll never let go Kate whistles and then COME ABOUT!!!

Tele's review:

10/10...perfection.

Why would I keep those moments? :ph34r: 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Why would I keep those moments? :ph34r: 

so basically this is the Tele edit of baumer's film

Poker scene wins ticket

skip 3 days ahead, Iceberg right ahead

movie ends on Molly Brown saying "my god" as she sees the sink ship

credits

I think that is a streamlined 1 hour  at most with the credits

Edited by 75live
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, no.

If Titanic was so big because teenage girls couldn't get enough of Leo, why were those Backstreet Boys or 'N Sync movies never made? Those would've made at least $300M+ on the basis of "teenage girls couldn't get enough" alone.

Well, they did make a Spice Girls movie around that time, and it did pretty well.  More generally, pop stars can sometimes sell a movie (e.g., Purple Rain) but they don't necessarily cross over, and there are big logistical issues in making a movie as well (might as well say "if you claim Michael Jackson and Bruce Springsteen were so huge in the 1980s, why didn't they have have movie vehicles"?). Tween (not teenage, LOL) girls got plenty of the Backstreet Boys and NSync via their records and videos. 

Like it or not, the young girls showed up massively for Leo. He was the biggest reason (not only, but biggest) it was the phenom it was.

Edited by SteveJaros

1 hour ago, 75live said:

Oh I give Cameron a ton of credit, obviously.  I don't see a movie 12 times in a theater if it wasn't good to me :P  I like almost all his films except one so yeah he usually does a very good job.

Although if I had to pick out a "weak spot" of Titanic was the script.  Most of it was very good, but there were parts that weren't.  But don't flip out, it literally is nitpicking at something tiny to even find something "wrong" with the movie :P   But yeah obviously I love this film

Sorry I was really responding to the "Leo made Titanic" comment.

3 hours ago, baumer said:

Tele's review:

10/10...perfection.

But what did @Telemachos think of this shot:

Image result for titanic hand on window gif

I don´t know how, but it´s very nice to me to see this thread is again alive.

I can be talking about Titanic and its run for years, i think there can be nothing more exciting for a box office numbers lover.

Can you imagine if this forum would be existed when Titanic played?

Would be really crazy the commnts after the end of christmas holidays with those unbelievable holds.

• Like 2