baumer

Titanic | James Cameron | Pretend it's 1997 all over again (The pure awe of Titanic's run)

On 2018/5/13 at 2:48 AM, Thrylos 7 said:

Kate was never that hot (and looks like DiCaprio’s mother in that film) and having to sit through the soapy and melodramatic love story for a few disaster scenes...

Wait, what if this actually made that love story, not less, but more appealing???

04-animal-shock.jpg

3 hours ago, ShouldIBeHere said:

giphy.gif

Just kidding but imho Titanic was much more than that. It was a very believable and engrossing bringing to life of 1912 society... the last months of a world bound to go under during and after WWI. The best "fin de siècle" portrayal out there. A lot of what caused Europe (and later the US) to sleepwalk its way into the war is similar to what led to to the death of those 1500 crew and passengers. Also I think the consistency in which this movie keeps showing up on "best" lists even on the most male dominated fronts shows that for many people there was much more in this than "love" (or that aspect was simply done too well to be rejected).

Imho there is a lot in there... the brillance being that it is possible to just watch it as a romance and/or a disaster movie at the same time.

The haters argument couldn't be weaker than weakest.......

This movie is now over 20 years old, definitely a true classic of cinema, if not the classic, quintessential film. 

I like revisiting this thread from time to time. Really wish I had been around to experience this run for myself. 

On 7/4/2018 at 3:36 PM, DAJK said:

This movie is now over 20 years old, definitely a true classic of cinema, if not the classic, quintessential film. 

I like revisiting this thread from time to time. Really wish I had been around to experience this run for myself. 

It was REALLY fun tracking this film in real time on the online forum I frequented at the time. I tried recreating the experience below (also, consider reading boxofficeguru's recaps). If you have any questions about forum reactions, experiences I'm happy to answer what I can. :)

• Like 5

On 5/11/2013 at 3:34 AM, grim22 said:

Seen a lot of trailers for this on Star Movies in India, love having a 24 hour English movie channel here finally. It is not releasing here till the end of March.

I hear people complaining that it is over 3 hours long, that is actually 30 minutes shorter than "Hum Aapke Hain Kaun" which I watched twice in the theater. So sitting through this should not be a big issue, especially with the intermission in between.

Got to log off now, Internet access is really expensive in India, costs me 50 rupees for half an hour of browsing and the connection can't even load a picture properly.

And now,

Titanic is still most watched Hollywood film in India, until May this year though.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

I really miss this type of slow juggernaut run where a film remains flat or inexplicably increases without a holiday from week to week, month to month. And being #1 at the box office for 15 consecutive weeks, that's something we will never see domestically again because of major tentpoles releasing in every month. Much more exciting to follow than a gigantic OW followed by normal drops in my opinion. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KP1025 said:

I really miss this type of slow juggernaut run where a film remains flat or inexplicably increases without a holiday from week to week, month to month. And being #1 at the box office for 15 consecutive weeks, that's something we will never see domestically again because of major tentpoles releasing in every month. Much more exciting to follow than a gigantic OW followed by normal drops in my opinion. 

BO runs such as that of Titanic were extremely uncommon in the 90s as well. The only movies with ultra-leggy runs (but at a much smaller scale) from that era that I can now think of were: a) As Good As it Gets, b) Good Will Hunting, c) There's Something About Mary, d) Scream. Also, Forrest Gump from 1994 can be considered the next best thing after Titanic and maybe also The Sixth Sense. 

• Like 3

On 1/2/2019 at 12:04 AM, KP1025 said:

I´m agree with ppzvgos, this kind of run only happpens few time in life.

Titanic run defied every rule of box office behaviour, don´t forget ever that its highest grossing day was 58 th!!!! and this is in uncommon at very time.

I also really would love to see a run again like this, leggy, leggy, leggy...

On 1/3/2019 at 4:47 PM, setna said:

I´m agree with ppzvgos, this kind of run only happpens few time in life.

Titanic run defied every rule of box office behaviour, don´t forget ever that its highest grossing day was 58 th!!!! and this is in uncommon at very time.

I also really would love to see a run again like this, leggy, leggy, leggy...

I'd say that TGS and Jumanji were probably the closest from the last few years.

And those crazy run nowadays only happen in Japan (Frozen or Your Name) and sometimes somewhat in China.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Christmas baumer said:

I too this miss seeing this kind of run.  Such a magical time at the box office.

get ready to see this on a smaller scale in just 5 weeks.

Then get ready in dec 2020 to see the greatest box office run of all time.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

On 1/4/2019 at 6:31 PM, Taruseth said:

I'd say that TGS and Jumanji were probably the closest from the last few years.

And those crazy run nowadays only happen in Japan (Frozen or Your Name) and sometimes somewhat in China.

*Ejem Ejem* 

This is Coco in Chile 

rNr9t2l.png

Multiply everything by 75 to get a sense of the scale. 

A 18.4 Multiplier from a FOUR day opening weekend in a country which only has 420 screens available.

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 2

14 hours ago, salvador-232 said:

*Ejem Ejem* 

This is Coco in Chile 

rNr9t2l.png

A 18.4 Multiplier from a FOUR day opening weekend in a country which only has 420 screens available.

In India the leggiest film ever is Hum Aapke Hai Kaun in 1994.

Had opening day Gross of $40k Approx, finaled at $33 million. Following is week wise Net of HAHK and Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995). Net = Gross - Tax.

IMG-20190106-140234.jpg

Not only the run of Hum Aapke Hai Kaun was leggy but it also beat the previous All Time Grosser Sholay (Biggest box office Hit in India of all time with over 250 million admissions). It's saying a film gross $1.8 Billion in USA today with $6.5mn weekend, trending much better than Titanic.

The actuals may vary +/- 10%.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 2

12 hours ago, salvador-232 said:

*Ejem Ejem* 

This is Coco in Chile 

rNr9t2l.png

Yeah, sorry don't know about a lot of the smaller countries.

But just wanted to point out, that Japan in general is quite leggy market.

Though one could say BR is doing something pretty impressive in Japan, SK and some smaller markets.

I have missed this thread when it initially relived the opening weeks. I have come back to this thread over and over again. It still gets me.

I was 9, almost 10 when the movie released in Germany. I had become interested in the fate of Titanic when I was 8 - spellbound by a model of the ship I had built together with my Dad. I remember watching this haunting image of the sinking ship for hours which was on the cover of the model's box.

My parents knew I was too young to watch it in Germany (it was PG-12 here). But they saw my real historic interest in the ship and I had already started to develop a strong interest in movies, books and stroy-telling in general. So they decided to try and go see it with me, convinced I could handle it. It worked out... the date was January 21st 1998. My father explained to a guy at our local theater why he should allow me to see it. The guy wanted to help but there was press at the theater that day. Due to the enormous success of the movie the theater showed a special matinee and the local newspaper was there to cover the event ("event" meant serving champagne before the movie and in a short intermission - leave it to the Germans to watch this movie in stlye). 

He finally let me and my parents in. To get me out of sight of the press the manager took me on a tour of the theater during intermission - which was great for 9-year-old-me. 

Both my family and I fell in love with the movie that day. Back then I was mostly interested in the scenes when the ship was the focus and not so much Leo&Kate (though I later started to appreciate the romance as well). 

I remember that half a year later I waited for my father until he came home from work, after he had promised me that he would get the VHS for me on his way home. I must have watched the sinking dozens of time in the months after and became more and more of an amateur expert on Titanic (the ship) and got interested in movie-making and acting (acting I still do until this day) more and more. That was also the time I read for the first time that some NZ-dude was going to make a movie out of my favourite book - LotR. 

So I would argue Titanic has remained the most influential movie I ever saw with a close runner-up being Fellowship of the Ring. And while at times I put FotR as my #1 of all time... it is Titanic in the end. One of the most rewatchable movies of all time - while going on for over 3 hours. What a masterpiece.

For anyone interested in Titanic, the ship, visit https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/ and the project Titanic: Honor & Glory (those guys rebuild the Titanic down to incredible detail at the moment for a video game... on their YT channel is also an interesting real-time simulation of the sinking which takes into account some of the new theories about her plunge that have emerged since 1997).

• Like 3

On 1/5/2019 at 4:34 PM, salvador-232 said:

*Ejem Ejem* 

This is Coco in Chile 

rNr9t2l.png

Thank you for this. Amazing.

• Like 1