baumer

Titanic | James Cameron | Pretend it's 1997 all over again (The pure awe of Titanic's run)

Well, here we are in the second weekend, and I realize this is Christmas weekend, but Titanic has increased by 23.8%.  Are you freakin kidding me?  That's enormous.  It's now at 88 mill.  Maybe this goes higher than 150.

• Like 1

Well, here we are in the second weekend, and I realize this is Christmas weekend, but Titanic has increased by 23.8%.  Are you freakin kidding me?  That's enormous.  It's now at 88 mill.  Maybe this goes higher than 150.

Move over A Christmas Story, Titanic just bumped as the perfect Christmas movie. Nothing reminds you more of the holiday season than an epic disaster movie with star crossed lovers. :lol:
  • Like 1

Well, here we are in the second weekend, and I realize this is Christmas weekend, but Titanic has increased by 23.8%. Are you freakin kidding me? That's enormous. It's now at 88 mill. Maybe this goes higher than 150.

It'll crash after the holidays are over. No doubt about that, but I think this could possibly hit 175.

150 would be huge, but thats the roof, imo. I dont see it going higher.

• Like 2

It'll crash after the holidays are over. No doubt about that, but I think this could possibly hit 175.

Yea, you are probably right, but next weekend it has basically another 4 day weekend as well.  Then you have MLK day and I know it's a way's from now, but it might still be doing well by Valentine's Day (if the female demographic is as strong as exit polls suggest they are).  88 mill after 2 weeks is quite good.  175 looks like a good target.

Yes, it was a lucky second week, but we all know all that good luck is going to end when Mr. Magoo open next week....Magoo is going to be huge!!!

• Like 2

Yes, it was a lucky second week, but we all know all that good luck is going to end when Mr. Magoo open next week....Magoo is going to be huge!!!

:rofl:  :rofl:

Wanna see a ship sinking? wait for The Postman, this is going to be the first directorial effort from Kevin Costner since Dances With Wolves....this will be too much competition for Titanic.... This also will be Kevin's second Oscar.... make room in those shelves for another gold, bold little fellow named Oscar, baby!! 

• Like 2

That's pretty good, but I'm pretty sure a few movies increased in the 40% range last year (having a hard time finding the actual source data) so I'm thinking the legs won't be as good as Guru is saying. I'm gonna say that 150m will be the max for this movie.

• Like 1

From our friends (again) at boxofficeguru.com (side note, this is an excerpt not the whole writeup)"THIS WEEKEND The Christmas weekend saw millions of moviegoers put on their life jackets and hop onboard the Titanic for a one-way cruise into box office history. Its three-day gross of $35.5M is the biggest weekend gross of any film in December beating the $32.9M opening of Scream 2 two weeks ago. Over the four-day holiday period, the Paramount/Fox collaboration grossed a hefty $44.6M. The mighty Titanic easily beat out competing films and left many casualties in its path. Up 24% from last weekend's gross, the James Cameron epic romance has zoomed to a ten-day cume of $88.4M and could be able to hit the $100M mark by the time we change our calendars. Its per-theater average of $13,078 was also up dramatically from last weekend and was tops among films in the top ten.Titanic's Christmas day total came to $9.2M which beat the old record, held by Paramount stablemate Godfather III since 1990, by an enormous 46%. Fantastic reviews, great word-of-mouth, numerous award nominations, and an overall increase in leisure time due to the holiday all contributed to the massive haul that Titanic pulled in. After a year filled with delays and negative press, the incredible performance of the $200M budgeted movie is a wonderful holiday gift for Paramount Pictures (the domestic distributor) and Lightstorm Entertainment (the production company), and looks good for Twentieth Century Fox who will distribute Titanic around the world. For a review of Titanic visit Chief's Movie Review Page.Holding steady as the runnerup was the James Bond action/adventure hit Tomorrow Never Dies which was down 19% from last weekend's opening to end the holiday frame with a three-day gross of $20.5M. Its ten-day cume stands at a hefty $62.2M and is a likely candidate for the $100M club like its predecessor Goldeneye which grossed $57.2M in its first ten days. Tomorrow's average per site was $7,296. Because of the remarkable performance of Titanic, Tomorrow Never Dies is losing out on lots of attention as it sits in the ship's shadow, but the Bond picture is also playing extremely well and doing solid business.Opening in third place was the Jack Nicholson romantic comedy As Good As It Gets which scored $12.6M over the Friday-to-Sunday period and $16.2M since its Tuesday opening. This was the best start for a Nicholson film since the $17.9M opening of Wolf in June 1994. Good, which also stars Helen Hunt and Greg Kinnear, played in just 1,572 houses for a per-theater average of $8,020 - second only to Titanic in the top ten. The opening bodes well for the Golden Globe-nominated picture and if it holds over the weeks ahead it should be able to top $50M."

Edited by GiantCALBears

Die off? It's 2nd weekend was much stronger than an OW for two mega stars in Jack & Helen with AGAIG

It will remain flat next weekend at best even though I am feeling a dip of 10-20%. Then it will at least fall 40% on the next weekend. It might hit 250M for a finish but that is still questionable. 

Titanic was boring and so long. I was hoping a sea monster would come up and fight the boat BUT NO the idiot driving the boat didn't see the stupid iceberg. 

(I was 6 and I hated this movie, now I just don't like Titanic, still feel its overrated.)

I agree. Titanic was really overrated and long. I don't see way everybody is in love with it. I knew this would be crap and I was proven right. Too bad American audiences are foolish enough to let this shit get a increase on its second weekend. Hopefully it dies off in January which it will.