baumer

Titanic | James Cameron | Pretend it's 1997 all over again (The pure awe of Titanic's run)

wow .. what a 2nd weekend!

an increase... yeah ok it's christmas but even then i expected a small drop or flat at best.  (like how bond dipped on a still small 19%)...

hmmm where too from here... 150m is looking very good now... 200m to me a very strong possibility... but will temper things with a 180m finish ...

and it posted it's biggest day yet @ 9m (not on opening weekend which is all but unheard of today.) 

big opening followed up by an even bigger weekend..

oh and it's 2nd weekend is now the biggest weekend ever in december... biggger than all the other opening weekends (given we broke it only 2 weeks back that is just .... wow)

sadly i won't have any reports from australia for next 2 weeks as nothing is reported until after new years :(

but from what i'm hearing it's going massive here too ... no numbers but attendance appears to be about even possibly higher..

Talking 2013 here in regards to As Good As It Gets... Wtf happened to Helen Hunt in the 2000s and later. She was a huge star for a few years in the 90s

People realized she had no talent and said "wait a minute, why am I giving her my money?"  ;)

Edited by IronMan89

Wow It has broken the best weekend gross IN its 2nd weekend!! Amazing! 250M here we go!

WTF? Here in Spain I sae it OW and theater was half empty.... I went with my mom and she was disappointed. My friends also are zero interested in Titanic.

But, I don't know why, I can't stop thinking about this movie, talking about it with everyone...

And the score... I bought it last week and its whimsically amazing. Let's hope it wins some Oscars, specially for Horner's score. It still hurts me he didn't win for Braveheart's score. He's the new John Williams!!

Any updates about OS numbers ? should be interesting to watch ...

Here in Spain it seems like it will be a mild success. The theater I went to was half empty, and it was the OD! Also, this holydays I've also seen Alien Resurrection (what an awful screenplay by Joss Whedon, sure he won't do anything more in Hollywood) and the line for Titanic was not too encouraging.

I expect Titanic to top 15 million of pesetas max (around 9m euros)

Edited by stripe
  • Like 1

From boxofficeguru.com

# Title Dec 26 - 28 Dec 19 - 21 % Chg. Weeks AVG Cumulative Dist.

1 Titanic $ 35,455,673 $ 28,638,131 23.8 2 $ 13,078 $ 88,425,009 Par.
2 Tomorrow Never Dies 20,480,931 25,143,007 -18.5 2 7,296 62,211,421 MGM
3 As Good As It Gets 12,606,928     1 8,020 16,164,889 Sony
4 Mouse Hunt 9,702,770 6,062,922 60.0 2 4,428 21,505,569 Dream.
5 Jackie Brown 9,292,248     1 6,783 12,888,609 Miramax
6 Scream 2 9,085,992 13,921,565 -34.7 3 3,403 71,100,014 Miramax
7 An American Werewolf in Paris 7,600,878     1 4,399 10,985,777 BV
8 Flubber 5,407,445 4,277,276 26.4 5 2,693 73,056,808 Dream.
9 The Postman 5,260,324     1 2,383 6,814,391 WB
10 Mr. Magoo 5,233,631     1 2,818 6,471,459 BV

• Like 3

Is there really any movie opening in the next few weeks that can slow the Titanic down?  Still can't see it keeping this pace though; this weekend should be pretty good again with New Years, but it should start dropping in the high 20% or low 30% range after that.

It will slow down after the holidays.  I think it will have a good chance at 200, but it will slow down....but then again, the WOM is insane right now.

• Like 1

A little off topic but did anyone watch Mouse Hunt yet? It's by that new studio with Spelberg and company and for a family movie I thought it was ok but nothing memorable. But why did they pick an unknown for their first family film? Who the hell is Gore Verbinski?

• Like 1

It will slow down after the holidays. I think it will have a good chance at 200, but it will slow down....but then again, the WOM is insane right now.

Agreed. I saw it a second time and the crowd was bigger. They seemed more into it too. I already have plans to see it a third time on its third Friday.By the way, anyone know where to buy the soundtrack? I hear it is selling like crazy Edited by 75live

It was a safe first attempt but that's it. Well it's a new studio so their just testing the waters I guess. I wonder how their animated films will do?

But Peacemaker didn't do very well. It's not a great start. We'll see.

• Like 1

A little off topic but did anyone watch Mouse Hunt yet? It's by that new studio with Spelberg and company and for a family movie I thought it was ok but nothing memorable. But why did they pick an unknown for their first family film? Who the hell is Gore Verbinski?

I think studios like to give unknowns a shot when they are kind of just feeling their way around at the beginning.  I've never heard of Verbinski but who knows, he could go on to be a good director.

• Like 1

I think studios like to give unknowns a shot when they are kind of just feeling their way around at the beginning.  I've never heard of Verbinski but who knows, he could go on to be a good director.

Yeah but it's SKG! It arrived with a lot of fanfare and it looks like their taking very measured steps. Which is not a bad thing but as RichWS said Peacemaker was a none event. Ok film but that's it. MH looks like it'll make money at least so it won't bankrupt the Dreamworks. I'm expecting big things from them.