Impact

Best Score-2013

Seeing Zimmer in there again for a useless score just grates on my nerves. Does the score serve its purpose for the film, sure, but it could also serve for any other drama too. I just get sick of seeing scores nominated for the sole purpose of another nom for a popular film with critics. Its like they dont even really care. Williams will get the nom, mostly deserving, although I wouldnt say it is his best work. Gravity was stunning. While minimalistic, I found it really creative, which for me, is strange given I dont normally enjoy scores like that. Mr. Banks was good, probably one of Newman's better works of late. As a whole this years offerings are rather limited. I really hope Gravity wins though, it was a great score, especially in context of the film.

• Like 1

Anyone have heard the score for Her?

My predictions:

Williams - Book Thief

Beck - Frozen

Price - Gravity

Newman - Mr Banks

Desplat - Philomena

Yeah, I think Zimmer will miss the nom this year. The composers branch usually surprises with really good against critic choices. A shame that later the Academy voters usually go for the weaker scores (Babel, Brokeback, Red violin, Il Postino, Slumdog, Social Network, Frida, Finding Neverland...) Embarrasing choices all around!

Is it? Didn't know that!

I believe it is, because it has the same or similar theme from the original songs which is against the rules.

Such a shame. It's not like the replica of the songs anyway and it did have lots of original moments on its own, def one of more memorable Disney scores in years. :P

• Like 1

I've looked at the complete list of eligible scores and you're right.  :angry:  Can't believe they made that mistake! With that stupid rule, great Disney scores wouldn't be nommed.

I'll redo my predictions then, but the obvious default nominee will be Zimmer.

I think we've had a couple of weak years in terms of nominated scores.

Looking back, my favourite score year is 2001. That was pure magic, with five memorable scores.

2010 was great, with a few excellent scores not even being nominated

2001 was the year when we heard Harry Potter's iconic theme; when Shore gave us the main themes of LOTR (unprecedented musical journey that has yet to end); when Williams wrote one of his finest and personal scores (AI); when Horner delivered us the haunting A beautiful mind; and when Randy Newman brought us the brilliant Monsters Inc.

But it was not enough! Composers also gave us terrific/notable scores like Shrek, Pearl Harbor, Amelie, Iris, Black Hawk Down, In the bedroom, The mummy returns, Spy game, Enemy at the gates, Gosford Park, The pledge, K-Pax, Life as a house... Most of them would've been nommed if composed this year.

2010 was great, with a few excellent scores not even being nominated

Was Tron: Legacy eligible that year? Because it not even being on the ballot was a travesty. (Inception, HTTYD, & The Social Network were all great. I don't think I've ever heard 127 Hours, but The King's Speech never struck me as anything particularly spectacular.)

• Like 1