baumer

Thurs Numbers STID 11.4 GG 3.4 IM3 3.3

All these blockbusters try and try and try but none can ever match the Joker. Heath set the bar too high.

Bardem in Skyfall, Guy Pearce, Hugo Weaving in CA, Mickey Rourke, all flop wannabes.

Only Skyfall attempted to match Heath Ledger IMO.

Terminator 4 under $100m.

That is a win as far as I'm concerned.  You don't have to get it exactly right to have the prediction be a good one.  My original prediction was under 125 mill, then someone dared me to go under 100, then as a joke, when it got past 100, we changed it back.  But when people were predicting 200 mill for it and I said that the interest sans Arnold wasn't there, I was right.

So, no, that is not a bad one, but a good one.

In his defense though, I'm thinking very, very few people predicted Hangover would do what it did.

naaa...by the time it came out many knew it would blow up.....I don't think anyone knew it would do 260 mill, but many people thought it would go over 100.

I predicted Perks of Being a Wallflower to hit over $100m. I swear it could have done it had Summit not fucked its release. Bastards.

Dunno about $100m, but it likely would have made 2 or 3 times its actual gross under Fox Searchlight, Weinstein or even Focus Features. And if released immediately wide in 2500+ theaters (because why the fuck not?), it would have had a $10m OW and over $40m total locked.

• Like 1

Is the number spectacular? No it isn't.  But let's wait till sunday to get the full picture.  They did mess up the release date and I believe the majority of the GA thinks it comes out today.  With that said "Trek" if you look at it historically never really shut the box office down. They made money but it's never been record breaking at the box office.  "Trek 09" did break some new ground for the franchise box office wise though.  If Trek 09 did about 75 Million OW then STID needs to top that for sure.  With that said "Trek" has come a long way if 14 Million OD is disappointing.  Something to think about.

• Like 2

I don't know why everybody is going in on Baumer for his predictions in the past. He always mans up and takes his lumps. He should have the luxury of dragging bad predictions on this movie, lol.

Exactly. We all have our history of awful predictions.

In his defense though, I'm thinking very, very few people predicted Hangover would do what it did.

I would say nobody did. Getting on someone for low predictions for a movie that was a huge sleeper hit is dumb.

• Like 1

Dunno about $100m, but it likely would have made 2 or 3 times its actual gross under Fox Searchlight, Weinstein or even Focus Features. And if released immediately wide in 2500+ theaters (because why the fuck not?), it would have had a $10m OW and over $40m total locked.

I think it could have made $100m with the awards attention it would have gotten. At the Academy, the vast majority of the people who watched Perks nominated the actors, story, and director in major categories. The problem is that not many people saw it. 

Bardem was so far from a flop, aDIM.

He kicked major ass in Skyfall.

Agreed. There seems to be this prevailing notion that he wasn't good, but he was absolutely a part of its success. Joker rip-off or not, he was the big villain Craig's Bond needed at that time.

I'm trying to remember more epic bad predictions though and I can't find them right now.  I'll have to look into it more later today.

All Potter under 300M than moved to under SS1, it almost came true than DH2 blasted by it.  ;)  :P