theultimatebiu

WKND BO: #StarTrek $70.6M/$84.1M, IronMan3 $35.2M/$337.1M, Gatsby $23.4M/$90.2M

FRIDAY 1 PM, 3RD UPDATE: My sources say early matinees are very strong for Star Trek Into Darknessfrom Paramount Pictures, Skydance Productions, and director J.J. Abrams‘ Bad Robot. It continued its domestic run today in 3,762 theaters with a refined number of $13.4 million from Wednesday’s 336 IMAX late shows and Thursday’s midnights and then yesterday’s wide release. Today’s grosses are almost double Thursday’s and an early read of noon averages is ranging from $25M to $27M Friday and $80M to $88M for the 3-day weekend - with a prediction of $100M for the first four days.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/star-trek-into-darkness-3d-opens-to-2m-late-night-and-imax/

Edited by theultimatebiu
  • Like 1

Either the Trek franchise simply has a relatively low ceiling due to decades of ridicule, or they made a big fucking mistake waiting four years to release a sequel to one of the most beloved blockbusters of the last decade. Considering the reaction that the reboot received, the sequel shouldn't be starting this slow. 

I'm sure WOM will be great, but still. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 1

Until this has a solid increase on Saturday, it wont come close to 80M 3 Day and 100M 4Day.

I don't see why it won't have a solid increase. Just giving it +20% from a 27M Friday and -30% on Sunday gets you $82M.

Im taking these with a grain of salt until 9pm. By then, East coast late shows are going strong and West coast matinees have ended. Ive never been a Nikki fan cuz she seems to just rush stuff out to say she has it first, rather than make credible predicts. Ill be more happy if this number is standing around 9-10'toninght and RTH confirms.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 1

I just don't get why the veterans of this forum get shocked by this. We knew it was moved last minute and MOST would not have known so obviously the Friday will act as a normal OD minus some early fanboy rush.

Edited by theultimatebiu
  • Like 4