theultimatebiu

WKND BO: #StarTrek $70.6M/$84.1M, IronMan3 $35.2M/$337.1M, Gatsby $23.4M/$90.2M

Nikki and her excuses. Why is everyone obsessed with her? She has a personality, but her numbers are always shit, and she posts too early so she can say "Got numbers at 6 am! IS A RECORD". She came up with a $28M Trek friday, she screwed up IM3, shes misses alot cuz she just guesses. I see why we love RTH so much, but Nikki I dont understand. Anyone can guess and do math.

3D can be very cool.

Yes, but the last time it i liked it was avatar. It was definitely the novelty. Granted a lot of the films i do go out to see, i do see in 3d but mostly because if its a 3d release, that's the only way i can see it if i want reserved seating.

Amen. I wanted to see it in IMAX, but the 3D was too big of a turn off. Ended up doing regular 2D. I really enjoyed it.

You really enjoyed it? And Andrew really enjoyed it? 

The podcast is gonna be LEGENDARY this week. 

• Like 1

3d for nearly every blockbuster needs to stop. I'm not gonna say 3d altogether should die, because I have really enjoyed it when used right, but it needs to go back to being more of an event thing. Maybe 4-6 movies a year have it, and they all utilize it. Post converted 3d in particular needs to die.

• Like 1

Four years ago, Star Trek opened in a slightly different format. It was slotted into the second weekend of May with a Friday release kicking off with Thursday night shows in all theaters starting at 7:00pm. It had an IMAX release in 138 locations, but was all 2D. Its opening was $75.2M over the three-day period and $79.2M including $4M from Thursday night shows. Add in that film's Monday gross to make a similar 4.5-day start, and its $86.7M was bigger than the $84.1M of Darknessdespite the new chapter having higher 2D ticket prices plus 3D surcharges plus 200 additional IMAX screens.

Studio research showed that the audience was 64% male and 73% 25 and older. A very high 16% of the gross ($13.5M) came from IMAX indicating that fans were willing to pay extra in this case given that about 30 minutes of the film were shot with those special cameras making for a premium experience. Overall, 45% of the gross came from 3D screens including IMAX

GURU

You really enjoyed it? And Andrew really enjoyed it? 

The podcast is gonna be LEGENDARY this week. 

I sure did. Is it dumb? Yeah, but I got a kick outta most of it. Definitely not better than the last one.

Edited by RichWS

Has anyone done the math of how it compares to ST09s 4 day start in ticket sales?

See Guru's take above.

Nikki and her excuses. Why is everyone obsessed with her? She has a personality, but her numbers are always shit, and she posts too early so she can say "Got numbers at 6 am! IS A RECORD". She came up with a $28M Trek friday, she screwed up IM3, shes misses alot cuz she just guesses. I see why we love RTH so much, but Nikki I dont understand. Anyone can guess and do math.

She's person you love to hate. She's hilarious.

I still laugh at Jackie Robinson mistake. What did she name him?

Edited by Dragon