theultimatebiu

WKND BO: #StarTrek $70.6M/$84.1M, IronMan3 $35.2M/$337.1M, Gatsby $23.4M/$90.2M

Because Prestige came out before TDK/Inception/TDKR. Nolan of today is pretty famous, Nolan of 2006 not so much

Yeah I thought it did but I didn't feel like going back to check.

Because Prestige came out before TDK/Inception/TDKR. Nolan of today is pretty famous, Nolan of 2006 not so much

I guess we'll find out with Interstellar. No A-list male lead attached. They will still use the "from the director of TDK Trilogy and Inception" all over the marketing, but that still isn't the same thing as "from Christopher Nolan." His name itself doesn't mean shit. The projects he has done in the past are marketable for future projects. He is more like Ridley Scott than Spielberg or Cameron.

You don't even need to say which projects Spielberg and Cameron are famous for, whereas a lot of people in the general audience would not know who you're talking about if you asked them to describe Ridley Scott or Chris Nolan. But then when you say, "Ridley Scott made Alien, Blade Runner, and Gladiator," people will go "oh yeah he's really good!" Same thing with Nolan and the Batman movies/Inception.

Edited by redfirebird2008

Nolan became a brand thanks to TDK.

Inception and TDKR just reinforced that fact.

His projects are a brand. His name itself is not. Otherwise they wouldn't feel the need to plaster "director of Dark Knight Trilogy" all over Man of Steel's trailers and TV ads.

• Like 2

I guess we'll find out with Interstellar. No A-list male lead attached. They will still use the "from the director of TDK Trilogy and Inception" all over the marketing, but that still isn't the same thing as "from Christopher Nolan." His name itself doesn't mean shit. The projects he has done in the past are marketable for future projects. He is more like Ridley Scott than Spielberg or Cameron.

You don't even need to say which projects Spielberg and Cameron are famous for, whereas a lot of people in the general audience would not know who you're talking about if you asked them to describe Ridley Scott or Chris Nolan. But then when you say, "Ridley Scott made Alien, Blade Runner, and Gladiator," people will go "oh yeah he's really good!" Same thing with Nolan and the Batman movies/Inception.

This is all true. He is nowhere near as famous as Cameron and Spielberg but he has amassed quite a following since TDK.

His projects are a brand. His name itself is not. Otherwise they wouldn't feel the need to plaster "director of Dark Knight Trilogy" all over Man of Steel's trailers and TV ads.

I am pretty sure they put "From the director of Titanic" for Avatar too. Doesn't mean Cameron isn't a brand. 

I still am waiting to see a Spielberg film just saying "From the director of...." (Heck I don't even think I've ever seen a commercial saying from Academy Award winner Steven Spielberg)