baumer

Tuesday Numbers stid 6.8-9, IM3 2.8, TGG 2.8

$50 million is right around the corner. Depending on how many theaters it loses this weekend it might even make it by Tuesday or Wednesday, but definitely by the end of May.

I've just been impressed with its holds the past two weeks. Things didn't look good after that 2nd weekend but it's rebounded quite nicely.

3D showtimes have diminished at my theater. It's a 14 screen, but on the 24th Trek will 1 2D/ 1 3D screen, Epic will only have 2 3D showtimes versus 9 2D, Gatsby has 1 3D showtime vs 4 2D and IM3 has 1 3D vs 5 2D. I think my theater is catching on. And whats amazing is this is when the two biggest movies of the weekend wont be 3D, meaning there more available 3D times, but my theater is holding back.

Edited by jandrew

So Star Wars Episode 7 is officially the new Hobbit?When can we expect the over 1.8B WW club?

Expectations will be so high that anything under 2BWW and it'll be a flop. :lol: Edited by WileECoyote
  • Like 1

Expectations will be so high that anything under 2BWW and it'll be a flop.

Yeah, no kidding

I still die laughing every time I think about that Hobbit over 1.8B thread :rofl:

• Like 1

I'd REALLY like the see what'd happen if Star Wars flopped. 

If it does 1.5B WW it will be considered a flop so you must likely will see.

Sci-fi movies like Star Wars /Transformers trend to do better in Asia Pacific while fantasy movies like Harry Potter / LOTR trend to do better in Europe.

The market volume of AP was much smaller than EMEA in 2005. That's why SW 1/2/3 movies didnt match that of HP/LOTR.

Market volume (box office in US$) in 2005:

EMEA 7.6B

AP 5.6B

in 2011:

EMEA 10.8B

AP 9.0B

in 2012:

EMEA 10.7B

AP 10.4B

Projected in 2015:

EMEA 11.2B +47% from 2005

AP 14.0B +150%

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 3

• Founder / Operator

Seriously though, what minimum are you guys expecting for SW7?

Considering it'll be 2015, I have to think that $400m domestic will be the ultimate litmus test for a franchise this big in 3D with the Disney brand behind it.

Seriously though, what minimum are you guys expecting for SW7?

Attack of the Clones adjusted for a 40% 3D share and and 13 years of inflation would probably equate to something in the low 500s. That's a reasonable prediction in my eyes. It could go lower but that's what I'm predicting. 

If it's great or a lot better than the prequels, then TA2 is toast and all bets are off for 600m+.

• Like 1