#ED

Weekend Estimate #s FF6: 34.5 NYSM 27.8 AE: 27.3 TH3: 15.9

I think that's too high in this competitive market

3.5 is not an uncommon multiplier for ORIGINAL summer films. especially ones that are well spoken of by the audience.  Every summer is filled with competition.  And the great thing about NYSM is that it has now BECOME THE COMPETITION.

A small sample:

Super 8:  3.6X

Horrible Bosses:  4.1X

Ted:  4.1

Grown Ups:  4.0X

Original films have no rush factor and they build on positive WOM.  NYSM has that.  I'm not saying 100 is locked, just that it is a possibility.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 2

Oz did have a bigger budget by $25m.

Yeah, but we're not really comparing profits or budgets here. The amount that a studio spends doesn't equal the amount that a studio will make. We're just talking BO here.

No one thought Oz had any chance to gross more than STiD. And almost no one was impressed when Oz grossed $231M; a lot of people considered it disappointing. So it's a huge shocker if STiD grosses less than Oz.

• Like 2

STID is a flat out box office disappointment because unlike Hangover, overseas isn't big enough to save it. It wont be that profitable

I don't see how STiD turns in a profit in its theatrical release.

Based on overseas performance and strong domestic result, IM3 will make more then IM2 and IM1 combined WW. 

Now I am very curious to see how much Thor The Dark World is gonna make.

Dat Avengers effect ?

• Like 1

I don't see how STiD turns in a profit in its theatrical release.

I wish I could find and bump the thread talking about how May would have 3 $300M grossing movies (IM3, STiD, and F&F7). That thread must have some golden nuggets of entertainment in there.

• Like 2

Now I am very curious to see how much Thor The Dark World is gonna make.

Dat Avengers effect ?

Thor 2 is locked for a trillion dollars internationally.  That's the only thing that makes sense now.  Thor was a better film than IM2 so it should experience a 50000% increase internationally. I expect it to do 5 billion in China alone.

• Like 1

I wish I could find and bump the thread talking about how May would have 3 $300M grossing movies (IM3, STiD, and F&F7). That thread must have some golden nuggets of entertainment in there.

Is it not in the archives?

Thor 2 is locked for a trillion dollars internationally.  That's the only thing that makes sense now.  Thor was a better film than IM2 so it should experience a 50000% increase internationally. I expect it to do 5 billion in China alone.

Lol I think Thor 2 at best can do about 120% increase from Thor 1 because Thor 1 was already in 3D overseas. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

:sick:

Lol TA and IM3 will make 2.7 billion WW combined.

Also more info to cause pain.

Also Thor 2, CA and IM3 will make around 2.5 billion WW.

Wow this is turning into one hell of a cash cow. 

• Like 3

STAR TREK: ID beamed up $37.6M overseas this weekend w/ $25M from China, $5M from Korea. Int'l total: $147.4M

Should finish around 225M, about 100M increase from the original. 

With Japan, Brazil, France, Italy, and Spain still on the horizon I think that's quite feasible, possibly more.

STID is still on track for 210-215 domestically, which yeah is pretty disappointing given the hype here. But the overseas increase is very encouraging and guarantees a third film will be made, albeit with a reduced budget (say 150m against the 190m of #2) and probably a new writing staff.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1