#ED

Wknd Est: Purge - 36.6M; FF6 - 19.7M; NYSM - 19.5M; Intern - 18.1M; Epic - 12.1M; STiD- 11.7M;

You said crazy people do things no matter what, but by having laws, rules and security in place it makes it harder for them to do any real damage.

Your telling if there is  a day to anything you want, people like the Dark Knight Shooter, Adam Lanza's would not exploit it?

Anyways I would imagine something like the purge would likely cause Gun Ownership to skyrocket. 

I would never own a gun but if the purge was real I would for sure.  :P

People like Adam Lanza and James Holmes already exploited it. That's why they're insane psychopaths that did it in real life. People like that have no regard for legality. 

Purge 2 needs to take place outside!

That's the problem with these cheap ass horror movies. The constraints, restraints, whatever. They cant even afford to shoot outside. That's why I feel funny about The Purge's success. On one hand I'm happy for horror movies in general, on the other I know this gives execs a further incentive to make them on the cheap.

That's the problem with these cheap ass horror movies. The constraints, restraints, whatever. They cant even afford to shoot outside. That's why I feel funny about The Purge's success. On one hand I'm happy for horror movies in general, on the other I know this gives execs a further incentive to make them on the cheap.

Making them on the cheap doesn't necessarily make them bad movies. I can think of a lot of low budget horror flicks very well liked today. If there's a quality story behind a horror film I don't care if it's made for 3 million or 30 million.

Well you know they do say that if you think some mainstream films are really bad...you need to see some of the ones that are not widely released or even released in the US :P

Just like Oz not needing a $200M budget, Purge didnt need $3M. Universal could have made it $13M, but during pre-pro they didnt see a necessary reason. The size of the budget doesnt really make it good or bad. Whoever wrote it could have took the concept and done something other than typical home invasion, Uni still give it a $3M budget, and it be good. Im sure Uni can give Purge 2 a $20M budget if they want, but that wont make it better than Purge 1. imo the problem with horrors is same old stories, cliches, and failing to break out of YA's. Watching Purges trailer I couldnt even tell the budget was that low. Edited by jandrew

Making them on the cheap doesn't necessarily make them bad movies. I can think of a lot of low budget horror flicks very well liked today. If there's a quality story behind a horror film I don't care if it's made for 3 million or 30 million.

Nor do I. If you can do it cheap, then do it cheap. It works well for these found footage, few locations movies, but not for others. Sometimes you need that extra cash.

Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing soared at the specialty box office, grossing $71,000 from five theaters for a location average of $14,200, the best of any film. The film, marking a victory for Roadside Attractions, is anticipating a $230,000 opening weekend for a theater average of $46,000

:wub:

Ethan indeed has a great year :wub:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/video/indie-icons-a-conversation-ethan-564202

go go nysm! I still believe in you beating FF6!

btw Will it lose screens to MoS next wkend???

Edited by Leyla

Just arrived from Star Trek Into Darkness. Benedict Cumberbatch is a God. The movie was great, better than the first, IMO. I hope Benedict returns for Star Trek 3.

• Like 6

I can only hope the trailers for Conjuring and Youre Next were played before The Purge. I think Conjuring can open over $20M purely based on the trailers, because they're genuinely scary.You're Next is apparently excellent, but we know reviews for horror films generally mean squat all.I think You're Next will open around $10m at this point. But we know how good Lionsgate are at marketing horror (Hostel, Saw, My Bloody Valentine, Haunting in Connecticut, The Possession, Last Exorcism, Sinister, Cabin in the Woods, Texas Chainsaw 3D). So they may up the ante as the release gets closer. Hiding the Youre Next killers in the background of their print ads for The Big Wedding and Temptation is still the best viral campaign of the year.

What was the last big budget horror movie

The biggest budget for a horror this year is Evil Dead with $17,000,000.2012Underworld Awakening $70,000,000Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter $69,000,000Resident Evil 5 $65,000,0002011 over $30m:Priest $60,000,000Dream House $50,000,000Final Destination 5 $40,000,000Scream 4 $40,000,000Season of the Witch $40,000,000The Thing $38,000,000The Rite $37,000,000Fright Night $30,000,000You can basically blame 2011 for the low budgets.
  • Like 1

The biggest budget for a horror this year is Evil Dead with $17,000,000.2012Underworld Awakening $70,000,000Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter $69,000,000Resident Evil 5 $65,000,0002011 over $30m:Priest $60,000,000Dream House $50,000,000Final Destination 5 $40,000,000Scream 4 $40,000,000Season of the Witch $40,000,000The Thing $38,000,000The Rite $37,000,000Fright Night $30,000,000You can basically blame 2011 for the low budgets.

There is a lot of bombs in 2011.

Edited by CJohn