CJohn

Puss in Boots 2: The Last Wish | December 21, 2022 | 8th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

What the hell is that anti-nostalgia animation style? That is not how you pull in the crowds. I was going with 401/1.4B DOM prediction but with this I will have to lower it to like 20/60

• Astonished 1

I get it's been x amt of years (What, 12). They want to keep that Bad Guys style going forward. But blending it with the style of essentially an established franchise look doesn't work for me. It looks direct to video this way.

There are good ideas here, and I'll watch it when it hits Peacock because why not, but I'm accepting modern Dreamworks isn't for me anymore*.

*Until Trolls 3 and a possible Captain Underpants 2,and if they actually adapt Ronan Doyle.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

That wouldn't be enough for a Shrek 5 tho 😔

I can definitely see higher if Universal does as strong a job as they do for their animations. High end I can see a $150m domestic total but the eleven year wait probably hurt it.

Even if Puss 2 does Smallfoot numbers, the budget seems $80m or under so it should easily break even. I also think it wouldn’t impede a Shrek 5, as everything is being rebooted and sequel-ed.

5 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I get it's been x amt of years (What, 12). They want to keep that Bad Guys style going forward. But blending it with the style of essentially an established franchise look doesn't work for me. It looks direct to video this way.

There are good ideas here, and I'll watch it when it hits Peacock because why not, but I'm accepting modern Dreamworks isn't for me anymore*.

*Until Trolls 3 and a possible Captain Underpants 2.

Dreamworks seems to have been decreasing their animation budget a lot since Universal owns them. Sometimes it can look really good like in The Bad Guys but for Puss in Boots it’s kind of awkward due to the original established style. 

Dog Man might be something you’d dig. It’s from the same author as Underpants and I believe some of the same crew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The writing actually looks pretty good! But yea, I can’t get behind that bleh animation. It’s not like spiderverse where there is an artistic reason to go that route. It’s not like the Bad Guys which is a new movie IP and so can establish its own look. This is part of an established franchise, and people expect these movies to look and feel a certain way. It genuinely looks like Dreamworks was trying to cut corners and make a cheaper movie, and it shows.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

It genuinely looks like Dreamworks was trying to cut corners and make a cheaper movie, and it shows.

Indeed, since they have been bought by Universal, their budgets have been significantly lower, on par of the Ilumination movies. 

Seems like Disney will be the only studio to keep releasing animated movies with budgets higher than 160M+

• Sad 3