Dementeleus

Man of Steel (2013)

Man of Steel (2013)  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The action is fun but nothing ground breaking or uniquely entertaining.

I find action in the first TF film far more enjoyable.

Smallville battle was great but Zod battle was tedious. 

People who say action in TF3 and MOS was great forget action is not all special effects and such.

action personally for me in TF3 and MOS was great and I was really into it. 

Also for me the film got better in second viewing

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

The action scenes are a huge mess. What a piece of shit.

The biggest problem is Superman is way too weak, patheticly weak. He can not even hold a drilling rig. LOL. And Superman now needs air to breathe. LOL. And firstly in MOS he doesnot even know he can fly. LOL. What a joke.

From 1978 to 2013, Superman on screen has become patheticly weaker and weaker. At first he can fly faster than light and travel through time. And now he is slowly flying and even car crash can hurt him. LOL. The fighting capacity has been lowed like from 10000 to zero. So fucking disappointing.

Stupid Zach and Goyer !!

Edited by firedeep

The action scenes are a huge mess. What a piece of shit.

The biggest problem is Superman is way too weak, patheticly weak. He can not even hold a drilling rig. LOL. And Superman now needs air to breathe. LOL. And firstly in MOS he doesnot even know he can fly. LOL. What a joke.

From 1978 to 2013, Superman on screen has become patheticly weaker and weaker. At first he can fly faster than light and travel through time. And now he is slowly flying and even car crash can hurt him. LOL. The fighting capacity has been lowed like from 10000 to zero. So fucking disappointing.

Stupid Zach and Goyer !!

I agree with the first sentence. But the rest of your complaints seem a bit silly to me.

• Like 3

Well I succesfully trolled Friday thread with my bringing up MOS, might as well add my 2 cents here.

I enjoyed this alot. It's pulpy, fun, eye-candy. I just think Snyder has style. None of his movies have completely wowed me but I liked seeing his visual take on the superhero genre which I am usually not very impressed with. People are complaining about characterization and plot, I guess I've learned to lower my expectations when it comes to that. On the bright side I think the script did a marvelous job establishing backstory for Clark/Kal-El, though the "present" day protagonist seems absent much of the time - it almost takes you out of the movie for a second when he has a line of dialogue. Also for me it doesn't hurt that they didn't try to overcomplicate things - i.e. for someone like me who is not well-versed in Superman lore I found everything very easy to follow. Krypton was beautiful and to me was sort of like a succesful version of the world Synder was trying to build in Sucker Punch. The fight scenes did become repetitive at times but for the most part I found them to be grand scale and fun to watch. All the cast worked for me except maybe Michael Shannon who was a little too genre.

7.5/10

Crazy enough this grade puts it in my top 5 for the year so far :lol:

Edited by aDIM
  • Like 2

I am a Superman fan and I want Superman to be as perfect as possible.

I disagree..

Most people I find who are not fans of Superman dislike the God Like image he has.

People want superhero's to be semi human and likeable.

That is why Iron man and Batman are way more liked these days. 

I was disappointed by it for two major reasons.A) It wasn't anywhere as original as it believed-The filmmakers, through the trailers, their interviews, and the seriousness of the script, made it pretty clear that they felt like that had solved the riddle to Superman and making him relatable with a completely authentic concept. But ultimately, the concept was just what you see in every other superhero movie, which is the idea that people might not accept the hero because they don't know if he truly cares about them. That's fine, I don't need something original. But for such a mundane concept, the movie really beat us over the head with it in scene after scene.B) The movie lacked interesting characters. The only one close was Lois Lane, who at least had an edge to her. But Clark was pretty bland. He never once convinced me that he had a serious internal struggle about who he was. And then, even after he realized what he was supposed to do, he didn't seem excited by it, he didn't fear it, he just simply did it. Zod was over-the-top, but ultimately, he was just another superhero villain bent on destroying Earth, the way all superhero villains seem.Snyder's direction kept me interested, though. He paced the film well and he delivered some good action scenes (which saved it from being a bad film). But at the end of the day, there wasn't enough substance for me to really enjoy it.C+

Yeah this isnt very good, its lifeless. The action is overload and superman doest speak until 45 minutes. We get 30 minutes of action before he even talks. The plot isnt really explained at all and its secondary I felt like every scene was just a transition into an action scene. I never felt along for a ride or along for a story. 

Im not sure how so many people like this better then Superman Returns. The plane sequence is better then anything in Man of Steel.

C (76)

Returns B (85)

• Like 5

I think MOS is the best comic book movie of 2013. :ph34r:

Seriously, the action was incredible and for me the first hour with Superman's origin story worked extremely well. Also, the Hans Zimmer score was great, too and I really liked Zod as the villain. Henry Cavill is a good Superman and most of the other actors were good as well IMO. Especially Russell Crowe was amazing. I agree on Lois Lane being thinly-written and some action scenes being a little over the top. Overall though, I think MOS is a fantastic superhero comic book movie and IMO it made Superman interesting again.

Grade: B+

• Like 2

B- from me ... emotionally, this feels flat for most of the overlong time. Nearly 20min at the start are spent on Krypton without any impact -  Crowe phoned it in and the others are even more wooden. On earth it doesn't get much better - Costner, while acting better, was badly written. The only scenes that worked emotion-wise were those between Clark and Diane Lane as Martha Kent. Also, the villain was plain ridiculous ... or miscast - the things they tell us about Zod stand in harsh contrast to how the guy is portrayed on-screen. Was there a Lois Lane in the movie? Finally, Cavill - ok, maybe I'm spoilt by the old Superman films, but there's a certain cynical smile or look about him that doesn't fit the role that good; Christopher Reeve had that innocent boy-scout charm.

The pyrotechnics are ok, bu overall, this is much noise about little characters. Or, as my ladyfriend said when coming back from the loo: Are they still smashing up things?!

Only pansies and women think the action wasn't awesome in this. I'm far from a shallow film critic but the action in this is good enough to make up for the weakness of the script.It's all about the spectacle.IMO.

Transformers 3 had better action.
  • Like 1

Yeah, so...

A+

Pretty much the second best CBM ever for me. Had what I wanted from this genre: good characters, solid acting, incredible visuals, drama and inner conflict, a threatening villain and lots of destruction (add to that an incredible soundtrack).

I was shocked about how much I liked it when I saw it, just because I'm not comic book fan at all and especially not a Superman fan. Haven't seen any of the other S. movies, cartoons or TV series and don't plan to.

• Like 4

Only pansies and women think the action wasn't awesome in this. I'm far from a shallow film critic but the action in this is good enough to make up for the weakness of the script.It's all about the spectacle.IMO.

The action was boring as fuck.
  • Like 4

Yeah, so...

A+

Pretty much the second best CBM ever for me. Had what I wanted from this genre: good characters, solid acting, incredible visuals, drama and inner conflict, a threatening villain and lots of destruction (add to that an incredible soundtrack).

I was shocked about how much I liked it when I saw it, just because I'm not comic book fan at all and especially not a Superman fan. Haven't seen any of the other S. movies, cartoons or TV series and don't plan to.

THAT'S MY BOY!

• Like 1

There's definitely some pacing issues in the first act, but after that, it's a nonstop thrill ride with some of the best action I've ever seen. All the acting is well done; Cavill impressed me. Zimmer's score was freaking phenomenal. Although there was the pacing issues, the movie overall just has a feeling of awe and inspiration that I can't give it anything but A. Never seen critics so wrong in my life.

lol, past me is funny

Just rewatched it for the first time since theaters. The action is still incredibly entertaining, but the script is pretty bad dialogue-wise. It's still enjoyable though with warts and all. B- now.

• Like 1