Return of the Jedi (1983)

47 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Return of the Jedi

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

RotJ is maybe the weakest among the first three SW films but still very watchable and entertaining. One thing that bothers me is how long we spend with the Han Solo Escape Plan and how complicated this HSEP turns out to be, success hinging on the dubious use of R2D2 as waiter-robot ... it's nearly half of the film where it should be just a re-introduction to our friends, like one of these JamesBond prologues.

The Ewoks - ok, I have to admit, I really really liked them when I saw this in '83 (I was 15 then but from the infantile persuasion B) ). Well, nowadays I find those scenes a bit long, as the speederbike hunt and the HSEP, but overall, still an enjoyable movie!

• Like 1

The moment Luke enters Jabba's palace you like HE"S A JEDI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shfsdhfksdhfsdfususg One of my favorite movie moments ever!

Its flawed no doubt but its a perfect ending to the Star Wars saga. When that john Williams score kicks in and we see Vader burning in the fire I always want to cry. I can go on and on but I don't want to sit here and type for 12 hours so Im done. 

A

• Like 2

The carebears are annoying but the last third of the movie isust amazing.

Pretty much apart from the scenes on the planet all of the other scenes are some of the best.

The whole entire space battle..

Its a Trap!!

More epic space Battle

Luke Vs Vader

Emperor Palpatine taunting

Luke vs Emperor

Vader redeems and reveals himself was emotionally powerful

The Death star blows and Vader died

Vader funeral and Victory party.

Even in the first 2/3 of the film, the swashbuckling fun on Jabba's ship was fun and the Speeder Bike chase.

A lot of great scenes and the only reason people crap on this film is because of a few annoying scenes.

• Like 1

I only have two issues with the film: The opening act on Tatooine does drag a bit prior to the Pit of Carkoon (the song and dance numbers don't work), and the Ewoks just don't make for compelling and believeable allies. The original draft for the original Star Wars had Wookiee pilots helping Rebels blow up the Death Star (since Yavin IV was originally the Wookiee planet), Lucas should have pulled some variation of that out for ROTJ.

Star Wars Marathon

Episode VI - The Return of the Jedi

A mixed bag ROTJ is, the film ranges from excellent to terrible moments. Luke was pretty much the best part of the movie, unlike in the fisrt and the second.

Jabba Arc: B

Luke in Dagobah: B+

Any scene involving Ewoks: D-

Space battle: B (much much better than NH's battle)

Han jealous: C 

Luke surrendering/Inside death star/Darth Vade and Luke duel:  A+

Original score: D (30)

New score: B (70)

Revenge of the Sith A+ (98)

The Empire Strike Back B (75)

The Return of the Jedi B (70)

A New Hope C+ (60)

The Phantom Menace C (50)

Attack of the Clones C- (40)

Edited by Goffe

A New Hope -- A+++

Revenge of the Sith -- A+++

The Return of the Jedi -- A+

The Empire Strikes Back -- A (I think I said a B+ for this earlier, but I changed it to an A)

Attack of the Clones -- B+

The Phantom Menace -- B

A New Hope-5/5ESB-5/5ROTJ-5/5TPM-4.5/5AOTC-4/5ROTS-5/5

These two opinions are hogwash. The prequel trilogy (especially I and II) are completely devoid of charm and warmth. Superficial, artificial crap is what it is.

• Like 2

most of it in the middle was probably about as good as 'empire strikes back' but with an awful beginning and end it lowers itself to the worst of the originals. notable for tying loose ends in the most unapologetically awful way hollywood could ever conceive, and that's truly saying something.

D- (20)

• Like 1

***1/4 out of *****

Worst of the OT, with aside from the plot issues, the actors, particularly Hamill, seemed to be phoning it in.

The Ewoks were a terrible concept, the fight scenes involving them just looked embarrassing. 

Oh, and the 'twist' was 15 different flavors of stupid.

Good first 30 minutes, but the rest was a flat mess.