Neo

Aquaman | Dec 21 2018 | James Wan. Jason Momoa. Biggest DC movie of all time WW

7 minutes ago, POTUS said:

$125m was thought to be a probable china total just a few days before release

Yes, I know, but as the mood here in the thread was so toxic, I thought by to quote you, maybe some joy will be back 😉

Great work in the China thread (the others there too)!

What happen again? I’m just back from premiere here. It earns loud claps from the general audiences, so I’m not worried on the box office.

One rotten review added, still fine at 75%.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lothar said:

Why is there no Spoilers Thread for Aquaman ?

seems like there should be one

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Michael Seng Wah said:

What happen again? I’m just back from premiere here. It earns loud claps from the general audiences, so I’m not worried on the box office.

One rotten review added, still fine at 75%.

Curious to see how Aquaman will do in the countries released this week, I think it will do fine, but  several countries has with a very bad exchange rates at moment (like Brazil/UK and Europe in general).

• Like 1

I saw Spider-Verse this morning. Thought it was excellent. 

Then went to Aquaman, expecting it to be ok but nothing more. 

How wrong could I have been.  I’m genuinely stunned that the Collider gang were so lukewarm about it. 

This is a confident, no holds barred, spectacular piece of popcorn family entertainment. Had a tremendous time with it and think audiences are going to lap it up. 

The world building, colours, design and visual effects are staggering. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 4

2 minutes ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

Curious to see how Aquaman will do in the countries released this week, I think it will do fine, but  several countries has with a very bad exchange rates at moment (like Brazil/UK and Europe in general).

1 euro = $1.14. That is not "very bad" at all for the last three years.

5 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

it lost over 17% over the 5 years or so

10 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I saw Spider-Verse this morning. Thought it was excellent. 

Then went to Aquaman, expecting it to be ok but nothing more. 

How wrong could I have been.  I’m genuinely stunned that the Collider gang were so lukewarm about it. 

This is a confident, no holds barred, spectacular piece of popcorn family entertainment. Had a tremendous time with it and think audiences are going to lap it up. 

The world building, colours, design and visual effects are staggering. 

I don't think the Collider gang could come up with their own opinion even if their lives depended on it. 

*That's not to say everyone with a less flattering opinion of the film is in the wrong and everyone fanboying over it is right. But eh, Collider peeps have been "playing it safe" and just agreed with other, more respected critic opinions for years now.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

Exchange rate is poor everywhere. Trade war has been dragging Asia’s currency rates by a lot. 

I will I’ll catch the film again in IMAX, watching the premiere in standard hall seems limiting imagination world Wan has created.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

it lost over 17% over the 5 years or so

So what? It also gained 32% in 15 years.

It goes up and down but it is false to say it is "very bad" at the moment compared to the last three years.

2 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

If you watched Collider at all this year, literally everyone on the panels has been excited for Aquaman all year. U...

2 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

It's really worrisome that Perri at Collider felt the need to tweet a disclaimer before posting their review that it's just their opinion and that it's ok to disagree without being hateful, like is that something people need to be reminded of these days.. kinda sad. And then Dan at screen junkies was apparently bombarded with hateful tweets including how they hope his mom gets cancer just cause he gave a mixed bag review?  WTF people.

2 hours ago, DAR said:

I did see the Harloff and Ellis reviews.  It was 3/5 and 3.75/5  hardly bashing the film

4 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I don't think the Collider gang could come up with their own opinion even if their lives depended on it.

see above, seemingly they started out with another POV.

I understand you feeling them not 'strong worded' enough, but that wording of yours is in my language / circle of friends /... resered for a very much other kind of people

3 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

*That's not to say everyone with a less flattering opinion of the film is in the wrong and everyone fanboying over it is right. But eh, Collider peeps have been "playing it safe" and just agreed with other, more respected critic opinions for years now.

I listened to them on Collider Live last night. Perri felt sad when she came out? Harloff felt it tonally all over the place. Me? I thought Wan knew what he was doing from the off! The movie is exhilarating. Rocha got bored?! Maybe they all just had one of those screenings. 

I think Schnepp would have loved this thing. 

I was in a bad mood before this started and ten minutes in thought ‘this is great! I can’t stop smiling’

It’s not a masterpiece by any means. But wayyyyyy better than I was expecting. The kitchen sink thrown in there. Boy did they go for it. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

1 Euro = U$1.24 until the end of March of that year, it is at $1.13 now, how is that not bad?

And from what I've seen there are strong political crises in France and UK this week, Euro and Pound can fall even further.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

So what? It also gained 32% in 15 years.

It goes up and down but it is false to say it is "very bad" at the moment compared to the last three years.

I am pretty sure the original post was about the comparison lists and such especially the actual CBM boom.

So an OS result might look less good in $ than it is, if compared to the more actual CBM movies, maaaayyyybe also to the 'holy' Nolan trilogy as the most far away numbers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I listened to them on Collider Live last night. Perri felt sad when she came out? Harloff felt it tonally all over the place. Me? I thought Wan knew what he was doing from the off! The movie is exhilarating. Rocha got bored?! Maybe they all just had one of those screenings. 

I think Schnepp would have loved this thing. 

I was in a bad mood before this started and ten minutes in thought ‘this is great! I can’t stop smiling’

It’s not a masterpiece by any means. But wayyyyyy better than I was expecting. The kitchen sink thrown in there. Boy did they go for it. 

hmmm, maybe because they were so ... positive over the year, spoke a lot within their group,... maybe that blew up their expectations or focused their expectations to a certain idea that was not full-filled in the expected way?

People do sometimes push their expectations too high....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I am pretty sure the original post was about the comparison lists and such especially the actual CBM boom.

So an OS result might look less good in $ than it is, if compared to the more actual CBM movies, 

This!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Seeing Aquaman in IMAX 3D in 4 hours 

:insane:

I cannot stand RealD 3D movies, please let me know how is your experience with IMAX 3D.