Neo

Aquaman | Dec 21 2018 | James Wan. Jason Momoa. Biggest DC movie of all time WW

Oscar for best VFX?

The movie looks GORGEOUS!

Edited by PanaMovie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Jumanji 2 preview to opening weekend multiplier brings OW to 58 mil. If it follows Hotel Transylvania then 98 million. Following A Star is Born brings it to 90 mil. I think it the movie will have a multiplier closest to A Star is Born.

It's hard to compare to any of the other films that have had sneak previews, given that Jumanji 2, HT3, and A Star is Born all have much less rush-out factor.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Heat Vision said:

Indeed. BvS underperformed but overall they've done pretty well at the box office.

I think BvS underperformed but only slightly. I think a billion was the mark.  Civil War the same Summer did like 1.1 billion with a very well known cast. BvS was introducing a lot of folks.  

I say "slightly" because I believe the final total should probably be around one billion as opposed to $873M.  However,  I think the money left on the table was here in the states.  This could have easily did $425M in the states. That would have gotten it very close to the billion.  

I hope people aren't blowing the expectations for Aquaman, pardon the pun,  out of the water.  This is a movie that most of us felt if it did say $650M that would be a success.  It doesn't need to hit a billion or even $900M  IMO.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

LOL the China numbers just keep getting better. Second best 2nd weekend hold ever for a film that opened over $90 mil. Has a tiny shot at $300 mil there.

You misread

It has the best 2nd weekend for a SH movie, and 4th best 2nd WE Hollywood movie

WB is giving out screening for Tuesday in N.Y

Edited by Dragon

7 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

You misread

No, you both are right. It did have 2nd best hold for 600m yuan opener behind wolf worriers 2. It also has best 2nd wknd for a sh movie.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

You misread

No, I didn't misread. For a hollwood film which opened over $90 mil, it has the best 2nd weekend drop. For any film over $90 mil OW, it has the 2nd best drop 

• Thanks 1

Damn that was one fun movie. Enjoyed it a lot. A much needed  change for DC.  Aquaman has one fine ass suit.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

No, I didn't misread. For a hollwood film which opened over $90 mil, it has the best 2nd weekend drop. For any film over $90 mil OW, it has the 2nd best drop 

I  had read at China and seen someone misunderstood Olive in what he meant with best 2nd WE... and thought you might have missed his clarification

Now I see I misread yours instead

:rolleyes: = about myself

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

WB is giving out screening for Tuesday in N.Y

This is when all the general preview/local press screenings will be, I think.  My local one is Tuesday, as well.

• Thanks 1

Just got back from this, it’s decent. Much better than BvS and Justice League (which I hated) but nowhere near Wonder Woman (which I really enjoyed).

Its a CGI action fest so I can see why it’s done well in China, but if you’re wanting much more than that you may want to temper expectations. It has some insanely cheesy scenes in it, with Patrick Wilson’s character basically being Mr Forced Exposition and one horribly misguided use of that awful Pitbull cover, but despite that it is undeniably enjoyable, although I doubt I’d be in a rush to see it again. See it in IMAX 3D if you can though, it’s worth the extra money for the spectacle of it.

9 hours ago, Premium George said:

It also has best 2nd wknd for a sh movie.

best 2nd wknd for sh in dollar I think

10 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

Yep.It's 2nd Best weekend drop.The Best is wolf warrior2 up 10% on 2nd weekend.Aquaman only drop 42%.Most films drop 60-70%

Edited by bangbingchan

As a piece of pulp entertainment with its tongue firmly planted in cheek, this easily tops Wonder Woman by a country mile. The technical expertise on display isn't even close. Wonder Woman was well trodden gimmicks played safe to agreeable results. Aquaman is a director playing with all the visual tricks on a large scale in a sandbox that has seldom been played in. It's a more fresh experience than Wonder Woman. A film that plays better on repeat.

In short, Aquaman is wholly unique in its world. Wonder Woman is Captain America...with a woman. That's not to offend Wonder Woman's merit, but I'm not like "Oh, that's something different. I haven't seen that before."

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

As a piece of pulp entertainment with its tongue firmly planted in cheek, this easily tops Wonder Woman by a country mile. The technical expertise on display isn't even close. Wonder Woman was well trodden gimmicks played safe to agreeable results. Aquaman is a director playing with all the visual tricks on a large scale in a sandbox that has seldom been played in. It's a more fresh experience than Wonder Woman. A film that plays better on repeat.

In short, Aquaman is wholly unique in its world. Wonder Woman is Captain America...with a woman. That's not to offend Wonder Woman's merit, but I'm not like "Oh, that's something different. I haven't seen that before."

Wan made the same errors as many of the MCU movies, which is why WW is so highly regarded. While AM is a visual spectacle, it lacks heart.

Edited by AndyK
  • Like 1