#ED

Wknd Est: MU - 46.1M; The Heat - 40M; WWZ - 29.8M; WHD - 25.7M; MoS - 20.8M; (pg 104)

I think it is still possible, but it will be really close.

That is unless Saturday's number is better than expect. If that happens, it will get 50 easy.

And Friday could increase from the estimates. Will a 15 M Friday make 50 M a lock?

Next weekend will be Despicable Me 2 at #1 and Monsters University at #2. Calling it now.

How awesome is that? Has this ever happened, the top 2 films are animated ones? By the way, that would mean TLR would disappoint.

How awesome is that? Has this ever happened, the top 2 films are animated ones? By the way, that would mean TLR would disappoint.

Good, I hope it fucking bombs and Hollywood stops throwing these damn clownish Jack Sparrow'esque scripts to Johnny Depp

... oh wait, we have Pirates V. :rolleyes:

Edited by Adam

FRIDAY 9:45 PM 2ND UPDATE: Wow, tonight’s Top 5 order of finish is changing as fast as I can type. Newcomers Twentieth Century Fox’s The Heat and Sony Pictures’ White House Down add to an already crowded pre-Fourth Of July domestic box office. Pixar/Disney’s huge hit from a weekago Monsters University is still #1. Fandango reported that the Melissa McCarthy-Sandra Bullock buddy comedy was the #1 ticketseller among new releases, selling 50% more advance tickets than at the same time for director Paul Feig’s previous hit Bridesmaids. Tonight The Heat is on fire as #2. Latest word is that the Channing Tatum/Jamie Foxx actioner is gaining as the night goes on and will finish Friday #3. Though its high cost endangers its ability to earn out. Neither new pics’ Thursday late show/Friday midnight grosses were significant. Based on early evening trends, my sources say numbers look like this for Friday. Updates and analysis to follow:

1. Monsters University 3D (Pixar/Disney) Week 2 [Runs 4,004] G

Friday $14.6M, Est Weekend $48.8M, Est Cume $173.7M

Great -45% weekend hold. Should jump into #1 after the Saturday kiddie bump.

2. The Heat (Fox) NEW [Runs 3,181] R

Friday $15.0M, Est Weekend $40.6M

Can’t help pointing out that the women brought the heat for this $41M-budget buddy comedy. Chalk up another strong box office performance for McCarthy and Bullock who began with $1M from Thursday’s 10 PM shows and Friday’s midnights. Should end #2 for the weekend behind Pixar’s family fare. Interesting that in a fandango survey 88% of ticketbuyers said they wanted more female-oriented laughers.

3. White House Down (Sony) NEW [Runs 3,222]

Friday $9.0M, Est Weekend $25.5M

Unfortunately earlier release Olympus Has Fallen which had a similar plot. Sony admits White House Down is in a tough slot now after WWZ opened so surprisingly strong last weekend. White House pic did $1.35M in Thursday late shows/Friday midnights. Studio claims budget was $150M which is expensive. (“If you see the movie, you will see the money on the screen. And compared to other summer fare and budgets, it very reasonable given the film,” a Sony exec tells me.) No way this pic earns out. Could be big loss depending how it does overseas. Opens day and date in about two dozen small countries this weekend (ie Aruba, Ethiopia, Kenya, Iraq). The first major international territory will not open until mid-July.

4. World War Z 3D (Paramount) Week 2 [Runs 3,607] PG13

Friday $9.5M, Est Weekend $31.9M, Est Cume $126.0M

After last week’s surprise success, new audiences will check it out. Expect a -52% weekend hold.

5. Man Of Steel 3D (:egendary/Warner Bros) Week 3 [Runs 4,131]

Friday $6.1M, Weekend $20.1M, Est Cume $248.0M

Maybe too stiff box office competition for Superman right now continuing into the Fourth Of July holiday.

23M for WHD would be a disaster. That would be a much weaker opening compared to OHF, and in a more crowded time of year. Wonder how much OHF coming out first affected WHD.

Good hold for MU, and if the numbers hold, good Friday increases for WWZ and MoS.