Akira (1988)  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

26 minutes ago, NuTella Lover of Sky Beams said:

Is there a way to watch the subtitled version other than owning the DVD/Bluray? I watched the dubbed version -- though not by choice. And I admit that for certain movies dubbed isn't the worst -- you're free to focus on the visual elements. All things considered, though, I'd prefer subtitles.

Hey, but you can watch this:

I can't imagine a good English voice for Tetsuo.

Those are French subtitles, though.

Edited by cannastop

1 hour ago, NuTella Lover of Sky Beams said:

Is there a way to watch the subtitled version other than owning the DVD/Bluray? I watched the dubbed version -- though not by choice. And I admit that for certain movies dubbed isn't the worst -- you're free to focus on the visual elements. All things considered, though, I'd prefer subtitles.

I don't actually know. It looks like Funimation currently owns the distribution rights to it, so maybe on their streaming service? Amazon only has it dubbed.

There's probably few things that better show how uneven the domestic anime industry has been than how many times Akira has shifted hands. Originally Streamline, then Pioneer/Geneon when Streamline closed, then Bandai, when Geneon closed, then Funimation when Bandai closed.

• Like 1

One of the most important movie ever made.

Everything about this movie is incredible.

Best Sci-fi film ever, best anime ever, best everything.

This movie has haunted me for years trying to reflect on all its themes & metaphysical musings.

Akira made me a different person and very few movies had that effect on me.

If you haven't seen it, do it, the journey it provides is like anything else you ll ever see or watch or listen or feel.

Behind the sci fi and all the crazy action, it is also an incredible emotionnal story between two friends.

Katsuhiro Otomo is a Genius.

Oh, I found a video that confirms that the voices were recorded before animation!

Shame that Ghibli never tried this. It worked so wonderfully in Akira. And lots of animators on this movie also worked on Ghibli films!

It served as proof that Japanese animators were just as technically capable as American animators in character animation.

Edited by cannastop

On 8/30/2016 at 9:48 AM, cannastop said:

Watch the trailer closely:

Not only is the art direction amazing, the character animation is superb. A lot of the animators on this movie also worked on studio Ghibli's films, but they never did something like this.

Otomo recorded the voices before the animation, which is rare for Japanese productions.

Look at the part that starts at 1:37

giphy.gif

I'm not an expert, but I can tell that there is an extra level of craft here. This is Disney-quality character animation.

Additionally, it's some of the best voice acting I've ever heard.

Motherfuckers blocked the trailer on copyright grounds! Fuck! Good thing I made that gif.