Pacific Rim (2013)  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Ok saw this movie last night at a sneak peek and it was amazing. It really did bring back childhood memories and is indeed what you would imagine a big budget Robot vs Kaiju movie should and would look like. And it really shows on the screen. It's very much a GDT film. And you'll see it on the screen. The gothic background and atmosphere. Nice range of main characters sprinkled in with some quirky secondary characters. But it's still mostly about the Jaegers and Kaijus. And when the action starts fans will scream and squeal like fan girls and you will want to go back for more.The good:1. The Jaegers and Kaijus are just f#%<ng incredible. My jaw dropped when seeing Gypsy Danger, Crimson Typhoon, Cherno Alpha, and Striker Eureka. 2. The epic battles. To be honest I liked the Hong Kong battle better than the battle on the rift. Rocket punches, plasma cannons, using containers as improvised brass knuckles, and the SWORD!!!!! Shit when Gypsy Danger cut that Kaiju in half I wanted to jump out of my seat and cheer. I had goosebumps watching the battle and yeah it's worth the price of admission alone. 3. Idris Elba as Pentecost was great. You did not want to mess with that dude. 4. The epic battles :wub: did I mention Hong Kong. With the Kaiju grabbing Gypsy Danger and taking off. :D. And taking down two Cat 4 Kaijus by themselves. What an entrance :bravo: Needed improvement 1. Mako and Raleigh were cute but a little 2D. But who cares their better than some of the crap characters we've seen before especially in Battleship and Transformers and at least GDT tried to make you care about the two. They reminded me a lot of the mecha pilots in old school anime movies and I guess that's what GDT wanted.2. The final battle was good but a bit of a letdown after the awesomeness that was Hong Kong. It's still a great ending battle and there was a real sense of desperation and finality in it in which you really saw that this was there last stand. Striker Eureka last hurrah was nuking the Kaijus to clear the path and it was actually a great scene. Hong Kong was more like Gypsy Danger coming in to save the day as they described as the legendary hero making a comeback appearance.3. The secondary characters were just ok. Ron Perlman was definitely underused. The doctors Geiszler and Gottlieb were basically GTD versions of R2D2 and C3PO and served only to find a way to deliver a nuke through the rift. Important but I wish they did more with these characters.4. The soundtrack was blaring and fit sometimes but I thought it could've been better.But all in all a great movie. This is Voltron, Power Ranger, Godzilla, Rodan, Gamera all put into one and directed by a masterful director in GDT. Put your skepticism aside and enjoy the ride because its fantastic.10/10

Edited by WileECoyote
  • Like 3

I asked this to BoxofficeZ yesterday...but haven't seen him since then...

"For some reason I liked MOS action but didn't loved it...at times it was pretty fast (less time for even noticing some fight scenes). If thats not the case then its good. Any problem with most of the action scenes shot during night? Or we can see them clearly (to be honest..in the trailers they don't look very clear to me and bit blurry)"

How is the action compared to MOS?

The action was good. Central setpiece alone is certainly worth the price of admission. Expertly staged and well shot. Long and involved. Maybe a little too many closeups, but not so much as to be distracting. After that one, final battle was a little disappointing, being underwater scene, and giving more time to cockpit shots.And it's not that "most" action happens at night: ALL setpieces are dark, ALL kaiju shots except two or three are at night, and Jaeger docks are not exactly basking in the sun, either :) Seen it in in 2D and darkness was not a problem for the most part, except probably that final showdown. Could see 3D sucking because of that, though.Compared to MoS, PR setpieces are distinctly contained and delineated, whereas MoS at some point becomes this neverending FX romp-and-stomp and those millions spent on CG pouring off the screen.What bugged me most about action in MoS were those unnecessary zoom-ins and camera movements. I can understand they were trying to convey some immediacy etc., but I found that distracting and meddling with viewer immersion. Why would Snyder want to work with Mokri instead of Fong is beyond me, because his direction certainly did not gel well with this sort of photography. PR loves its viewer in this regard, it lets you both enjoy the sight and follow the action.I liked both movies, but action-wise, I'd have to admit I liked PR better. Probably, MoS has been wearing off on me :)Anyway, you'll have to see for yourself :)

• Like 2

Will have to add more later, but for now this works on so many levels and its just pure Hollywood blockbuster fun.

It kinda feels like the new Independence day to me.

It knows exactly what its is, it feels like an adventure movie. Idris Elba is the worlds biggest bad ass every time he spoke my face lit up with joy. The spectacle made me feel like a 6 year old again, the scientist and Ron Perlman work perfectly. While the mid credits scene is the cherry on top. 

I thank you Pacific Rim for reminding me why I love movies.

A-

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 2

EPIC! I need to go back and view it again minus the 3D because I feel it impeded my opinion a tad. But the fights were great and in many cases intense. I loved the seen with Mako as a child running for the Kaiju, very powerful IMO. The massive scale of the movie (action) is what I keep thinking back on a definitely why I loved it.

I loved Charlie Day and Ron Perlman, good use of comic relief that didn't bog down the movie.

Acting was fine, nothing noteworthy, but I definitely feel it didn't pop out to me as bad.

The characters themselves could have been better, I actually like the 3 main ones but they were too predictable in their actions. It doesn't bother me too much but it seemed significant enough to mention.

The visuals, monster/robot designs, and overall sense of style and cinematography were phenomenal.

The ending scene was too short though, when they pop up out of the water I feel that scene should have been extended or another should have been added.

A-/A

Edited by StarSaber
  • Like 2

^^ Why not go for 2d then?

I'm watching it in cinemas regardless, I just want to know whether the 3D is worth seeing on the big screen or not. Ive noticed some 3d movies look better on the television than in cinemas (Avengers)

Just watched Pacific Rim last night at 10pm at a Regal Cinema & IMAX. And all I could say is that this movie is one hell of a ride and I could simply describe my experience as a VISUAL ORGASM...nomsayin? ;) IMAX 3D is the way to roll on this baby oh yeahhh! Go watch it..now! I shelled out $18 for an IMAX 3D ticket and it was worth it, got a cool poster along with some cool 3D glasses and a free small popcorn...yeshh you bet I'm going to watch it again this weekend.