Pacific Rim (2013)  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I gave it a very solid B+

It's a very good summer blockbuster

The only things that kept the film from an A for me was all of the cliche characters and dialogue and some pretty dodgy 3D conversion in a few spots, but damn if this thing isn't entertaining when the fighting is happening.  Not only is the mech vs monster combat awesome, but there are a couple of human vs human fight scenes in the film that are equally entertaining.

The FX work by ILM is among the best out there, but it would have been nice if we'd had a few more scenes in bright daylight to really show everything off better.

I would say the best comparison is ID4. It's an enjoyable film for what it is but as others have said it just lacks a few things. The characters just aren't as charismatic as in ID4 and it could have opened with a full on Kaiju arrival. Also, the Aussie accents were terrible. What were they thinking?

• Like 2

I thought it could have been the easy best blockbuster of the summer (still in contention after one viewing) but it had two pretty glaring flaws that held it back a bit. But first, the good- the ensemble was absolutely excellent from top to bottom. Very, very impressed with Hunnam and the chick from Babel, and Elba, Day, and Perlman were great as expected. The score was fantastic. The direction and visual feel of the movie was great. The robot designs were awesome. The world building was top notch. The dialogue was crisp and fun. The environments and settings were great. It really nailed the sense of fun.

However, two things hurt it

1. The prologue needed to add at least five minutes. I never felt the scope of the kaiju taking over, the Jaegers fighting back, and the kaiju pushing humanity to the brink because the prologue was rushed. It felt like being dropped into the middle of the story.

2. Between the fact the that kaiju all looked the same and all the fights took place in the dark and around water/rain, the three main action scenes let me down.

• Like 1

My A turned into a C (or even a D) after I actually saw it.

:wub:  I'm so impressed that you admitted you voted A before seeing the movie and than dropped the rgade afterwards. Which isn't the case with anyone who claims that Hunnam was great.

• Like 1

I would say I liked it overall. However I wish it did not have so much cheese in it. Also I the scientist with the limp ( not Charlie Day) got on my nerves a lot. Over all 7/10.

Edited by Vanilla
  • Like 1

:wub:  I'm so impressed that you admitted you voted A before seeing the movie and than dropped the rgade afterwards. Which isn't the case with anyone who claims that Hunnam was great.

Hunnam was great, you just like to latch onto things to hate with no rhyme or reason. 

Hunnam was great, you just like to latch onto things to hate with no rhyme or reason. 

Consensus is that he is a non-entity. His reviews go from meh to all out pans. Even Knowles said hanging out with supporting cast was more fun.

Edited by fishnets

Comedy falls really flat.Characters were really dry and flat and completely uninteresting.Script is a mess. It talks to us like we know all about this techno babble. Much of the robot monster fights were hard to see and i couldnt tell who was who.The good is the human fightingThe opening 10 minutesThe dont get cocky line (homage to SW and Han Solo)Some of thr fights were cool6.5/10

• Like 10

Only actors I really liked were Charlie Day and Ron Perlman who were doing what they always do in everything, but whatever. None of the stuff with the other characters worked for me, mostly  and I was just kinda bored when that shit was going on The fights were cool, but with the way everyone was hyping them I was a bit underwhelmed. I liked the look of the film. Didn't like the music.

So the movie overall is OKish, I probably won't remember much about it in a month. Give me anything else GDT has done over this.

• Like 6

This is how I would have started the movie. -open above the ocean then the camera moves down deep to the sea floor as the rift starts to open. -then a nuclear sub starts to detect something but is very quickly destroyed. -then normal life in San Francisco, maybe a fishing boat notices a strange wake beneath the surface. -then the Kaiju rises from the surface and smashes through the Golden Gate Bridge and starts destroying the city. -the military throw everything they've got at it until it is eventually destroyed. This would be around a 20 minute intro to the world of the movie. Then you would go into the voice over and the montage of news real to show how desperate the situation is 10 years later.

• Like 3

I just saw PR in IMAX 3D.  Visually, it was beautiful. CGI was great. Out of IM3, STID, and MoS, PR had the best use of 3D.

The first robot/monster fight was awesome, but I felt it got a bit boring with each fight.  

I loved the first Transformers movie and was hoping I would get the same enjoyment from PR, but it had none of the charm, was very predictable start to end, and I didn't really feel anything for the characters.

I'd give PR a C+

• Like 1