Pacific Rim (2013)  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I saw it.  WOW!  I have never seen anything like that on the screen before. I recommend this movie whole-heatedly.  Is it perfect?  No.  Is it, from a story and character perspective, the best film I have seen this summer?  Probably not.   Does any of that matter?  NO!

The fact that this thing isn't doing 100 million dollars this weekend is both a mystery to me and a tragic accident to film making as a whole.

Give this thing a sequel, Legendary.  Give it a sequel and then team it up with Godzilla for the third.

A

Speaking of, Godzilla's going to have a rough time following this up.  Once you've seen action like this, I'm not sure a stand-alone Godzilla film can compare.

• Like 4

I had one disappointment with this movie: No day-time battles. That said, HOLY CRAP. The action, as I expected, was phenomenal; I love that I was finally able to see mech vs. monster battles in live-action. The film had a great sense of fun (loved all the comic relief characters, which is rare for me), and it truly transported you to another world. It actually reminded me a lot of Avatar. Serviceable story with an average lead, but it absorbed you into a world that was just astounding. I feel like I should give it higher (and probably will go higher with a rewatch) but I give it an A.

I cared about every character in this movie. Even Hunnam, even the Australian father-son duo, and especially Mako, Stacker, and Newt. The nice thing about humans controlling the robots is that I actually cared about the fights. I felt the weight of their losses and I felt their victories. For reference, I didn't give a damn about anyone or anything in the Transformers movies. 

The sequence most emblematic of what I felt del Toro was going for in PR is when he depicts this awe-inspiringly huge kaiju fall into a building and destroy a ton of space.. and then shows a shot of the very end of the kaiju setting off the balls on a Newton's Cradle on a random desk. Not only did the contrast add so much weight to the size of these things, but it's such a confident and self-aware move to drop a comedy bit in the mix of so much action. That's the whole movie to me: the creative team knew exactly what they were doing, and I loved what they were doing. 

Is it perfect? Hell no. There's nary an 'original' concept in the movie, and that goes for the character development too. But I think it's a gorgeously realized summer blockbuster on all accounts. It created a setting I fully invested in and a war I thought was thrilling to watch. The good guys are GOOD GUYS, and their world is so crazy and colorful and full of personality. It put a big fat stupid smile on my face and kept it there for over two hours. Like, no movie does that. 

I give it 3.5 out of 4 secondary kaiju brains. 

• Like 3

I really want to know how some of you who gave this an A overall were able to sit through that first hour and not be bored? The characters and plot were so archetypal and generic that the bad dialogue and bad acting (excluding Elba) lead to this feeling like a really bad B movie. Not to mention the first hour felt like 2 hours cause it drug so long. Seriously what was interesting at all about that character "development" and exposition?

This movie failed miserably in that respect, and they choose to spend the whole first half of the movie on it? Such a stupid mistake. Either give us an interesting story and likable characters, or just let us watch the breathtaking action scenes, which did leave me picking up my jaw off the floor in several instances. That first half does this movie no favors in any way though, and I feel like fanboys and some critics are playing favorites with GDT in that respect. If this were a Bay movie that aspect of it would be getting torn to shreds, and deservedly so.

Overall though, this was another summer disappointment for me. This summer has been nothing but that for quality blockbusters. :unsure:

F for characters/story/"acting" (Hunnman needs to be banned forever from all movies sets)

A+ for action and visuals

Overall: B-

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

Charlie Hunnam. Dear god, that was the worst lead performance I've seen in so long. I'm shocked.

Liked the movie though, it was fun.

Enos in WWZ <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Hunnam

Anywya, I dug bad acting because that's the part of B legacy and this went for B feel, albeit with $200 mio budget.

Edited by fishnets

I really want to know how some of you who gave this an A overall were able to sit through that first hour and not be bored? The characters and plot were so archetypal and generic that the bad dialogue and bad acting (excluding Elba) lead to this feeling like a really bad B movie. Not to mention the first hour felt like 2 hours cause it drug so long. Seriously what was interesting at all about that character "development" and exposition?

This movie failed miserably in that respect, and they choose to spend the whole first half of the movie on it? Such a stupid mistake. Either give us an interesting story and likable characters, or just let us watch the breathtaking action scenes, which did leave me picking up my jaw off the floor in several instances. That first half does this movie no favors in any way though, and I feel like fanboys and some critics are playing favorites with GDT in that respect. If this were a Bay movie that aspect of it would be getting torn to shreds, and deservedly so.

Overall though, this was another summer disappointment for me. This summer has been nothing but that for quality blockbusters. :unsure:

F for characters/story/"acting" (Hunnman needs to be banned forever from all movies sets)

None of the dialogue, characters, acting, or any part of the story in Pacific Rim is anywhere near as bad as that in the Bayformers movies. Critics didn't give this movie a pass just because its Del Toro nor do they have an agenda against Michael Bay.  Michael Bay just makes shitty movies and if he ever aims a little higher, the critics will reward him for it.

Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 1

I bet this movie isn't anymore better or worse than other popcorn flicks the critics trashed (like Now You See Me or Olympus has Fallen) they just went a little easier on it because it is from GDT

• Like 2

Like it flaws and all. Overall. I was into the robots and the people as seconds.But truthfully was there an original idea in this movie, as there were no surprises. Have seen everything that happened inthis movie already in other movies.

None of the dialogue, characters, acting, or any part of the story in Pacific Rim is anywhere near as bad as that in the Bayformers movies. Critics didn't give this movie a pass just because its Del Toro nor do they have an agenda against Michael Bay.  Michael Bay just makes shitty movies and if he ever aims a little higher, the critics will reward him for it.

I found the characters in the first Transformers to be very likable and endearing and judging by WOM I wasn't the only one. Yet Bay still got called out on that movie by critics and internet forums for the characters and plot. If you're gonna call out the first Transformers movie for those things, then you have to call PR out on that too because it's certainly worse in this one (than TF1, not TF2/TF3).

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

Guillermo Del Toro was passionate for this movie, and it shows. Yeah, you could spend a good chunk of time nitpicking the script, acting, and so on, but really, who gives a damn? The action sequences are some of the best I've ever seen in film, (even better than The Avengers, I'm willing to admit.) and even though the characters aren't exactly well executed, I couldn't help but care for them. Del Toro's directino really carries the movie. You get the feeling that it's not a giant cash in, but rather just pure, exciting, and truly wonderful movie going experience. It almost feels like a Wachowski Siblings movie: Visual brilliance and a sheer absence of cynicism. It was a fantastic experience.

A-/B+

• Like 6

I hope Bay never aims higher or caters to critics.  His films are money makers and they cater to what people like.  GDT can have his masturbating fanboys who make his films gross 50 million dollars.  Bay can have his haters and still have his 300 million dollar films and adoring fans everywhere.

Deep? No. Identifiable. Yes. Transformers did it so much better imo.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The Transformers movies are shit.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 2

I give the film a B+(A for action/effects/B- for story/acting), but I just have to say something for the "old time" anime fans here:

Brother dies heroically at the beginning of the story---CHECK

Has to be talked back into the war----CHECK

Meets a cute Japanese girl----CHECK

Girl has unrequited feelings for him----CHECK

Dark skinned commander who takes no guff----CHECK

Crazy/goofy scientist characters----CHECK

Aliens are giants so we need giant manned robots to fight them----CHECK

Methinks Mr. Beacham may have been either a Robotech or Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers(most likely both) fan as a kid. Just a hunch.

(Feel free to add any other similarities I may have missed)

Edited by Dining on Crow on Krypton™
  • Like 6

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The Transformers movies are shit.

Transformers movies are fantastic imo.

http://stopthinkingforyourself.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/film-review-pacific-rim-2012.html - Agree with so much of this review/analysis. I do disagree with him about the movie not treating its audience right though, or the movie itself being a complete disaster. Everything else however, is pretty spot on how I felt leaving the theater.

"The film is in such a hurry to tell the audience several years’ worth of backstory that it loses any credibility for the actual story which it wants to tell. Pacific Rim’s only interest is showing CGI robots fighting CGI creatures, when the actual interesting screenplay would have been the first attack, the terror it caused, the creation of the robots, and the fight back. All of this, however, is covered in five minutes so the film can focus on fights, which, disturbingly for a director of Guillermo del Toro’s supposed pedigree, do not even attempt to convey any tension or threat and are happy to simply show robots hitting monsters."

"Some people might say this is ‘dumb fun; but when was ‘dumb’ ever a good thing? Some might also say it ‘brought out the inner child’ or ‘made me feel 11 again’, but let’s just take a step back and ask why that is a positive? The reason some may want to see a film which reminds them of the exhilaration of seeing Star WarsRaiders of the Lost ArkBatman, or even Independence Day for the first time is not because they were just a great experience as a child, but because they have continued to be great experiences decades later, and still remind you of the experience watching it for the first time because they are perfect examples of films which pushed the boundaries and raised the bar of the what was expected from a summer movie."

Yes this movie is a fun ride, yes it has amazing visuals...but how can you rate it a A- just because of the action? So many users here have pointed out the movies problems and then say forgive them, because the movie has great CGI. Action does not make a great movie, there has to be something at stake. I was checking my watch wondering how much longer this was before the Hong Kong battle because the acting and dialogue were not engaging enough to keep me interested in what was happening. Also all of the amazing action and effects are not the easiest thing to see because every battle takes place at night in the rain or underwater (I saw this in IMAX 3D). I know this is an unpopular opinion with everyone raving about this movie here but I have a feeling that some of the general audience is going to feel this way after seeing this.

Edited by somebody85