Pacific Rim (2013)  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I hope Bay never aims higher or caters to critics.  His films are money makers and they cater to what people like.  GDT can have his masturbating fanboys who make his films gross 50 million dollars.  Bay can have his haters and still have his 300 million dollar films and adoring fans everywhere.

Bay has a very successful franchise but he's hit or miss after that in terms of financial success. Del Toro has only directed one really big movie- this one- and a few minor hits, but he's produced a ton of stuff in the last decade. 

Point is, both are very successful men, since for the most part they both know what they're doing. 

Bay has a very successful franchise but he's hit or miss after that in terms of financial success. Del Toro has only directed one really big movie- this one- and a few minor hits, but he's produced a ton of stuff in the last decade. 

Point is, both are very successful men, since for the most part they both know what they're doing. 

I have no problem with anyone who likes his work.  I understand we all have different tastes.  I just get tired of having to justify why I like Bay day in and day out.  Why is it so difficult for some to understand that my taste is different than theirs?

• Like 3

And how can people say the Transformers movies are terrible when this was a lot of the same? People go to those movies for the visuals and dumb fun too. This movie had plot elements pulled right out of them but this gets a pass while they are trashed when users here are clearly agreeing that the dialogue and story is Pacific Rims weak point (just like the Transformers series).

I agree with baumer, the Transformers movies are not awful.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 2

And how can people say the Transformers movies are terrible when this was a lot of the same? 

Um, because I don't think this is the same? I'm not giving PR a "pass" just because the action is good. I think the story here is actually functional and the characters are worth caring about. I think the universe created here feels genuine and worth investing in. I think there's a sense of scope and detail to del Toro's monster fights that's just not in the Transformers movies. I like this movie for a lot of the same reasons I like Furious 6- there's a ton of attention paid to both the action setpieces and the characters in and around the setpieces. 

• Like 2

Um, because I don't think this is the same? I'm not giving PR a "pass" just because the action is good. I think the story here is actually functional and the characters are worth caring about. I think the universe created here feels genuine and worth investing in. I think there's a sense of scope and detail to del Toro's monster fights that's just not in the Transformers movies. I like this movie for a lot of the same reasons I like Furious 6- there's a ton of attention paid to both the action setpieces and the characters in and around the setpieces. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree man, because I felt the opposite but I appreciate your view.

I didn't care about any character in this movie especially the main character, due to the horrible dialogue and acting (Other than Idris Elba & Charlie Day). It took me right out of it, and I loved Furious 6 for what it was. One of my favorite movies of this summer. 

And a lot of people here are giving Pacific Rim a pass for the action on this thread and the main one. I've seen multiple users say the problems with it, and then go on to rate it a 9/10.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

But that's your opinion.  Not mine.

Wasn't talking about you. I'd give PR a B+ for more than just the action. Somebody85 was clearly citing other users, but it's worth pointing out that action isn't the same in every movie. I can't watch the robot action in Transformers because I can't follow anything. 

• Like 2

Wasn't talking about you. I'd give PR a B+ for more than just the action. Somebody85 was clearly citing other users, but it's worth pointing out that action isn't the same in every movie. I can't watch the robot action in Transformers because I can't follow anything. 

I had the same problem with PR.  I found many of the fights to be tough to follow as well.

• Like 2

Gophers right, I was referring to the general consensus here. I honestly never really had a hard time following much of the action in the Transformers series though I can see how some would. I think the skydiving scene into Chicago in the 3rd one was more epic then anything on screen here. But that's just my opinion.

• Like 3

I had the same problem with PR.  I found many of the fights to be tough to follow as well.

It's a hell of a lot easier to differentiate a giant robot to a giant monster than just two giant robots. The battles in PR were much easier to follow.

• Like 4

I bet this movie isn't anymore better or worse than other popcorn flicks the critics trashed (like Now You See Me or Olympus has Fallen) they just went a little easier on it because it is from GDT

WTF?? Olympus is PURE shit, and NYSM is some mass service shit (but still shit).

Rim is state of the art.

• Like 1

HOLY SHIT THAT WAS THE CORNIEST MOVIE EVER AND I FUCKING LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT.That is all.

This was my reaction. I was literally yelling "OH MY GOD" to myself during the Hong Kong battle, specifically when they show the reveal that the kaiju had GIANT WINGS and started flying away with the jaeger. Everything worked on me. 

• Like 2

I think the skydiving scene into Chicago in the 3rd one was more epic then anything on screen here. But that's just my opinion.

That's an amazing sequence. I just wish I didn't have to sit through eight hours to get to that moment. 

• Community Manager

A-

Okay, it really deserves something in the B-range but the musical score was so good I'm pumping it to an A-.

Anyways: it was pretty much fucking awesome. The action, while confusing at moments, is the reason to watch this movie. The story was solid and managed to set up a sequel while at the same standing on it's own. The reason it could have been better is the character relationships...they never quite formed as well as they should have. The two main partnership throughout the movie never really...became something special. It therefore lacked any real depth that the movie at times aimed for and limited the character development.

Overall, I'm willing to watch a sequel.

I just got back from watching the movie and as much as I wanted this to be better, it just wasn't for me.  It just fits into pretty much almost every other summer movie this year, lackluster, mediocre and pretty much forgetful.  I was in a theater at a 7:15 pm show and there was 17 people and my friend actually walked out of the film.  I didn't hate it like he did, but it wasn't great either.

The best part of the film was when they sent in Gipsy Danger to save the other two Jaegers, as they fought off the acid spitting kaiju and the flying kaiju.  That fight was pretty cool.  Other than that, there wasn't much else.

The acting wasn't all that good, the characters were pretty disposal and bad, didn't feel for any of them, they were zero sense of any danger in the whole movie and the 2 doctors were awful.

Even saying all that, it's not terrible and I can see people being into it.  I wanted to be into more, which is why I say it was decent enough to give a C

• Like 3

Pacific Rim is a Sci-Fi channel movie version of Transformers. The action scenes are poorly crafed and staged. These scenes lack clarity which is a huge problem for an action movie that depends on those action scenes in a big way for its appeal. The cinematography is dark almost all the time. Even the day shots are dark. 3D makes it even worse.

Pacfic Rim lacks humor, well staged action and entertainment. Transformers series incorporates these things very well and that is another for their mega success.

Rating: C

• Like 3

Awesome. 8/10 from me, so B. It would be 9/10, but two big plot holes are disturbing me since now (16 hours after movie). I'm talkin about 'No Kaiju DNA, but capsules escapes', and 'They're cloning, but she is pregnant' - and no further explanation of this.Anyway. IMAX 3D. I was amazed. Grin on my face for almost all time :D Really amazing visuals. And one of the best 3D I have ever seen.Characters was a little two - dimensional, but they was varied and interesting, and provoked right emotions (smile, cheering, respect, antipation etc).And I love how many anime references there was. And how corny this movie was sometimes (Russians! so stereotypical, so fun :D)

Awesome. 8/10 from me, so B. It would be 9/10, but two big plot holes are disturbing me since now (16 hours after movie). I'm talkin about 'No Kaiju DNA, but capsules escapes', and 'They're cloning, but she is pregnant' - and no further explanation of this.Anyway. IMAX 3D. I was amazed. Grin on my face for almost all time :D Really amazing visuals. And one of the best 3D I have ever seen.Characters was a little two - dimensional, but they was varied and interesting, and provoked right emotions (smile, cheering, respect, antipation etc).And I love how many anime references there was. And how corny this movie was sometimes (Russians! so stereotypical, so fun :D)

I'm assuming you only need Kaiju DNA to go through the portal from the Earth side.  Also, since when can't clones become preggers?  :P

Those are hardly plot holes, but either way, I don't think lack of exposition matters at all in a film like this.

Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 1