The Lovely Bones (2009)

14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Very beautiful movie. I haven't prayed for a main character to not do it, or for the main villain to die the most horrible death, in a movie, ever. There are certain problems with it, like the fact that the CGI is waay to overused and the sudden mood changes. Overall, the first Jackson movie I enjoyed.

A-

• Like 3

I think if you dropped acid and put in yourself into a self induced coma, then you would enjoy this film.  For the rest of us, it's one of 2009's worst.

3/10

• Like 4

Dude, you're the last person on this planet who has the right to even judge someone for liking a 'shitty' movie, lol.

I have every right to tell you how I feel.  Just as much right as you do to tell me that my opinion on film sucks as well.  I can't see anything redeeming about the film so I will question those of you who liked it.

Capiche?

My favorite scene is when the sister breaks into pedo Ned Flanders house and finds his secret pedo diary and he comes into the house and instead of bolting and bringing the diary to the police she continues to read the diary until she's finished and then takes the book and runs away. But she doesn't go to the police and she doesn't tell her parents about it because it would ruin their marriage or something.

God.

• Like 3

My favorite scene is when the sister breaks into pedo Ned Flanders house and finds his secret pedo diary and he comes into the house and instead of bolting and bringing the diary to the police she continues to read the diary until she's finished and then takes the book and runs away. But she doesn't go to the police and she doesn't tell her parents about it because it would ruin their marriage or something.

God.

That's my favourite part.  My other favourite part is dancing in the in between which is a mix of an acid induced version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the Yellow Brick Road.  

• Like 1

genuinely astonishing imagery could never come remotely close to saving (or probably even contributes to) this catastrophically misguided wreck that spends nearly all its time breathlessly recounting how a girl's murderer is an evil, satanic creature who can be defeated by the collective will of her perfect family. death is a wondrous journey into heaven. love wins in the end. and so on and so on with this abysmal dreck, a constant crescendo of cataclysmic condescension.

• Like 1

After reading the book I found this to be quite a good adaption. 

I think both the family dynamic and the world of the killer played very well together - with Jackson finding good images for "heaven" but overdoing it several times. No acid needed.

B-

Edited by ShouldIBeHere

After reading the book I found this to be quite a good adaption. 

I think both the family dynamic and the world of the killer played very well together - with Jackson finding good images for "heaven" but overdoing it several times. No acid needed.

B-

I haven't read the book, but I guess sometimes a book is just not meant to be shown on the big screen as a movie. If this Peter Jackson's movie is a rather faithful adaptation, well maybe the book is just unadaptable in the first place.

I loved the novel, so even with the tepid reviews that came streaming in during December 2009, I was still very excited to see the film when it went wide in January 2010. It ended up being one of the biggest cinematic letdowns I've ever had. The production values are excellent and certainly would have been worthy of Oscar recognition that year. Saoirse Ronan is solid in the lead role, and Stanley Tucci does his best with what he's given (although his smirk when they played his clip at the Oscars goes to show that even he wasn't satisfied with the final product), but the film as a whole doesn't come anywhere near achieving the emotional impact of the source material. Instead of examining the tragedy and its effect on all characters with the grace and nuance of the novel, it turns into a lame, bloated murder mystery with some supernatural elements - and a toothless one at that, thanks to the decision to soften decidedly R-rated material for a PG-13. Just skip the movie and read the book; it will take longer, sure, but it's a much better investment of time.

C