#ED

Wknd Est: DM2 - 44.7M ; GU2 - 42.5M; PR - 38.3M; Heat - 14M; TLR - 11.1M; MU - 10.6M (PG 100)

Yes, but with a 190 million budget, I think it needs more than 500 million WW to make a profit.

Kind of, but doesn't always work that way. It depends where did they make most of the money.If it's a rough 50/50 from DOM and OS then yes, but if the ratio is for example 35/65 then no.

Studios returns are so much smaller from the international gross than the ones in the US.

So, even if PR manage to make $500M WW, if they make 400M OS and 100M Dom, then they will loss some money.

You can still prevent a bunch of JC's, Battleships, and TLR's every year. You dont want to "gsmble", you want surely maximize profit. If you feel you like you make significant moneynon merchandise/TV, then keep the budget under control.

Exactly. It's a calucated risk. It's "we are gambling with 250m TLR but we know we have sure-fire profit from IM3 + merchandize" type of a deal. This is, of course, overly simplified formula but it does go around those lines.

It's also why I don't understand why people are writing Universal's obituary because of R.I.P.D. Any money they lose on that will have already been covered by Mama/The Purge/JP3D/IT profits. Then they still have F&F6 and DM2 profits, especially from the latter, and even Oblivion will turn a profit on it's own post-theatrical.

Edited by PDC1987
  • Like 2

Warner Brothers didn’t spent shit on Pacific Rim (25% of the budget was from them). PR was a Legendary Pictures production; Warner Brothers was mostly just assigned to market it.

Didn't know how much put who, but either way, erase WB from my text, and insert Legendary Pictures then, the idea is the same. 

You can still prevent a bunch of JC's, Battleships, and TLR's every year. You dont want to "gsmble", you want surely maximize profit. If you feel you like you make significant moneynon merchandise/TV, then keep the budget under control.

Again ignoring the fact that perceived total shoe-ins can end up tanking too. You can't predict it.

Edited by PDC1987

I dont understand the whole "a flop will be covered by a success" thing. Never have. A studios goal is to make as much money as possible. Disney covered JC's losses with TA, but that means less money they get from TA. You dont want to use one movie to mask another, you want JC and TA to be profitable. Why use IM3 and MU to cover TLR, when you want money from all 3? If I was an exec, I wouldnt be so light on flops. I'd get tired of having to use another movie to cover a movie every year, thats less money I get.

You can't build a new franchise without risking a potential flop. There would be no TA franchise, Pirates franchise, Transformers franchise without big budget gambles on IM1, CotBP, TF1

• Like 3

Again ignoring the fact that perceived total shoe-ins can end up taking too. You can't predict it.

I didnt call it a shoe-in, but alrighty. Im not getting any money from it so its pointless.

exactly, GDT can still direct but he has probably no creative freedom now. Don't expect any other personal projects of his to be greenlit

Creative freedom isn't easily given (only to already proven boxoffice heavy-hitters) so there's no doubt GdT did not make PR with complete creative freedom. You bet your ass that if he had one he would populate those Jaegers with oddballs instead of generic cocky everyman, vendetta-driven warrior chick, tough but fair military honcho and science comic reliefs. That part totally smacks of studio boardroom "creativity". GdT's strength are oddball characters, not these servicable plot-forwarders.

I dont understand the whole "a flop will be covered by a success" thing. Never have. A studios goal is to make as much money as possible. Disney covered JC's losses with TA, but that means less money they get from TA. You dont want to use one movie to mask another, you want JC and TA to be profitable. Why use IM3 and MU to cover TLR, when you want money from all 3? If I was an exec, I wouldnt be so light on flops. I'd get tired of having to use another movie to cover a movie every year, thats less money I get.

But that's how it works, companies do not report for financial profit or loss for each individual movie. They report quaterly with financial profit or loss for all their projects. Sure flops hurt their bottomline but it's not a risk free business and if you think about it the whole MCU was a huge gamble that paid off. It could have been the other way around, John Carter could have been a huge hit spawning several sequels and the MCU could have been met with disinterest.

• Like 1

You can't build a new franchise without risking a potential flop. There would be no TA franchise, Pirates franchise, Transformers franchise without big budget gambles on IM1, CotBP, TF1

But did TLR, Battleship, and JC need those budgets to do it? No. IM, TF, AND P1 all started around $140-150, plus TF they knew would be a toy seller, thats more responsible. The only huge risk there was Pirates. That doesny mean if you copy cat every movie after it now itll be a success. Edited by jandrew

It's also why I don't understand why people are writing Universal's obituary because of R.I.P.D. Any money they lose on that will have already been covered by Mama/The Purge/JP3D/IT profits. Then they still have F&F6 and DM2 profits, especially from the latter, and even Oblivion will turn a profit on it's own post-theatrical.

Typical fanboy overreaction.

The reason why YA hits sent them into complete bipolar hell is because they immediately imagined the future of movies where studios cancelled SH and toy franchise franchises and made only YA movies for girls. It's actually hilarious that this isn't exaggeration. They really believe that if one expensive movie they were jonsing for 3 years since announcement fails, studios will kibosh all other movies that appeal to them and make Twilight and GU only. Like, :rofl:

• Like 1

After reading this, for example, the impression is more than a few big movies go completely out of control in the course of production but that's sort of snafu thing.

Big franchise have to start somewhere.

They require a first movie with 150+ budget.

Since alternate release dates are being discussed, I personally feel that Pacific Rim was more of a first Friday in October film, much like what Disney should do with Ant-Man now that Bond 24 was just dropped on it's Holiday season-launching date.

Edited by PDC1987

Dont be surprised if GU2 has less than a 3X. I dont think itll be wll liked.

We don't know that. Didn't the first also have a B CinemaScore? Regardless though I'm loving being vindicated. Go GU2! PR will have to rely on legs to hit 100. Sad for DM2, but it should have a healthy jump today. Sandler and company took a huge chunk of its family audience this weekend. Also I think GU2 could hit 50m OW, we shall see.
  • Like 1