baumer

The Conjuring (2013)

56 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I'm not sure if it might be because I've seen a billion horror movies, but it takes a lot to really impress me these days.  Films like The Ring and Blair Witch Project, Sixth Sense, Scream and Paranormal Activity all seemed to start a movement or a shift change in horror films.  And as good as Conjuring is, imo, it has been done before and been done better.  But again, that's not to say it isn't good because it is and a lot of that can be attributed to Wan.  He really did a great job making us feel fear. 

• Like 1

I can't give a long review right now as I am about to drive but this movie was really good. I don't get scared at these movies any more but I can see how it would be scary for people.Fighting between an A-/B+ right now

• Like 3

I wasn't overly terrified by this film, but it was still creepy/scary as hell. There's something about the period of this movie(1970's) which creeped me the hell out. Paranormal Investigators didn't have access to all the technology they have now like EV scopes, Infrared Cameras, Computers, Cell Phones, and etc. The Conjuring ignores those gimmicks by taking place in the 70's. The atmosphere James Wan establishes in this film is inherently wicked. The cinematography/art direction was top notch. One thing I was curious about this movie was its rating®. Based not on violence or nudity, but based on how terrifying it was. Definitely think it lives up to that R rating. This movie is well acted and brilliantly made. Definitely recommend.

A or 4.75/5.

Edited by SharknadoBuff
  • Like 2

Well since I have time to write a longer review, I will do so.

Everything in this movie hit for me.  Yes I don't get scared, but I was still in the "holy s**t" mode for the last half or so of the movie.

It did start off extremely slow, but in a way that helped the movie when it finally started to take hold.

It was very well made.  I know others have said this, but it is very true about the atmosphere.  It just drew you in to the right places.

The backstory of the whole thing was well done and I think was really helped is that the characters were good and you cared about them.  Too many times in too many films, they don't seem to get that if you don't care what happens to the main characters, then what's the point?

Plus, not that it happened every time, I was happy to at least see less stupidity with the characters, especially when they actually TURNED LIGHTS ON when something was happening.  Too many times have I seen people walk around in horror flicks when they are supposed completely scared of the dark, but when they are standing by a light switch, they never use it.

So overall, even if though it really wasn't scary (some will find it scary), it is a well crafted, atmospheric thriller.

I am happy to say it makes it way into the 3-4 only good movies of such a terribly mediocre summer.

Still can't decide between an A-/B+.  Either way, it is a good movie :)

• Like 1

As far as today's horror trying to scare with gore and some serial killer slaughtering people, the conjuring takes down all of this horror flicks and has a very creepy atmosphere since its based on a true story the beginning I gotta admit Annabelle freaked me out and probably that whole house that the perron family was living in was just scary especially that whole red thing where rory was hiding was kinda creepy and the demon like woman and lilli Taylor possessed overall as far as horror films I haven't seen anything so creepy or even effective like this in a long time. So 9/10 or an A-

I'd give it a solid B. It kind of dragged where it shouldn't have. There were solid scares, but I only jumped once. The atmosphere was great, as with all of Wan's films. Slightly disappointed, but it was good.

I recognized a long time ago that horror films just don't scare me, which is why I generally avoid them. I can't say this one did the trick, but there were several genuinely creepy moments that got my heart going. (I'm thinking specifically of the ball in the cellar and the looking under the bed/someone's behind the door scene.) There's a second act drag and maybe one too many haunted house tropes too many, but Wan's direction is sensational. I can't wait to see what he does with a different genre. 

I'd give it a B. For someone who doesn't do horror, that's pretty good.

• Like 1

I can't wait to see what he does with a different genre.

For 20 million he made one of the better looking movies I've seen all year. Universal's going to give him like 150m+ for Fast 7. That's exciting stuff.
  • Like 2

Very well directed. Effective performances from most of the cast. The atmosphere stumbles a little in the final act but not enough to ruin what's done well in the first 2/3. The best horror I've seen since the first PA and overall a pleasant surprise.

B/B+ (from me, this is a very good grade for a horror film)

• Like 1

At the risk of over hyping this thing it's one of the scariest movies I have ever seen.

I will have to agree.  Top 3 scariest movie I've seen.  It would have been even more so if I avoided the trailers which showed too much.

I really wish they wouldn't have spoiled the clap in the basement. That while buildup was brilliant and would have been much more effective going in blind.

True, but that one scene imo is why the trailer was so buzzed about.