baumer

The Conjuring (2013)

56 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Watched this last night and it has to be the most overrated film of 2013. I called it before it was released, I said it looked like every other haunted house movie and it was only without the horror. Seriously a family of 7 are being targeted by demons yet nobody dies throughout the entire movie apart from a dog we barely got to know and a few Pigeons, scary shit right there, I was more frightened watching Casper.

• Like 2

A quite good horror film but nowhere near as scary as insidious. The first half felt just like insidious which was good but from the exorcism scene on, it felt is rushed and not enough jumps. B+

Edited by Frozen2013

It's amazing and I'm not exactly a horror fan. First time I genuinely cared for anyone in any horror film, like ever. I even might have had shed a tear or two. It's masterfully directed, superbly acted, visually stunning and oh my that score

(85)

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Terrifying. Thrilling. Engaging. A film would be lucky to be the epitome of any of these three qualities. The Conjuring masters all three, and has room to be even be heartfelt. James Wan directs the film to perfection, brilliantly blending the old classical horror style with modern filmmaking techniques such as the shaky-cam for "realism" and found-footage. Wan knows just how to ratchet up the tension slowly and surely, while building characters to legitimately care for as well. Without Wan at the helm, The Conjuring would be forgettable.

One of the most brilliant touches in The Conjuring is when the girls watch The Brady Bunch. The 1971 setting enhances the familial themes at the heart of the film, with both the Parrons' and the Warrens' relationships with each other and within their own groups feels incredibly real despite the paranormal activity surrounding. When the curse is finally lifted, the catharsis is not only felt by both families but the audience too.

Every actor is perfectly cast. Naming highlights would be a disservice to the entire ensemble. The score is appropriately chilling, and the cinematography is lovely and aids Wan's spectacular direction. James Wan has done the impossible, making such a fantastic film with a major studio film in the 2010s. And it's horror too! The Conjuring is a masterpiece, an operatic horror focused on atmosphere and character while being magnificently petrifying. A+

• Like 1

I'm not one for horror movies simply because horror is subjective, and personally, the scariest things have always come from within.

The tension is enough for your mind to run wild. The atmosphere is amazing, everything about it is just genuinely well made.