baumer

The Conjuring (2013)

56 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It's definitely over-hyped, IMO.However, kudos to Wan for making a quality horror film that relies on shading, lighting, camera angles, and tension for scares. The scariest thing in a horror flick is not knowing what is hiding in the closet, around the corner, or behind the bed. The first 40 minutes were downright fantastic, and one of the more intense openings I've seen in a film.Unfortunately, once you start seeing the demons the movie loses a bit of it's momentum. At its core, this is yet another haunted house/demon/possession movie, and I was expecting more.Good horror flick, but nowhere near worthy of the all-time great or scariest film ever hype.

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 1

This film has grown on me after a couple days.I still find it over-hyped regarding the horror aspect, but I'm surprised at just how good of a film this actually was. You get the idea that every shot was crafted in a meticulous fashion. It's also amazing what real actors can do and provide in a horror film.Very solid. Still early, but No. 4 on the year for me at this point.

Edited by mattmav45

The acting and direction are both top notch, especially for a horror film, but I just couldn't get into it as much as other people did. The predictability distracted me, so I was never really frightened and I just observed the craftsmanship on display here pretty much. Just watching the craftsmanship (each camera move, soundtrack choice, cut, you know it, feels deliberate and meticulously placed) on display here isn't exactly an unpleasant experience, so this deserves at least a 7. Cynical types like myself may have trouble getting past the predictability of the whole thing but for what it is, it's well above the recent norm.

Edited by CarlosDanger
  • Like 2

Wow, just saw this and I have to say what a masterfully crafted supernatural horror movie. Everything was just executed so wonderfully, it really helped pull you into the movie's atmosphere and make the scares actually effective even when they weren't super original. I love that the story was relatively simple too, and Wan didn't feel the need to add cheap twists or get too corny with the scares. Like for example, the ending was perfect because you're waiting for the boy to pop up in the mirror and scare you, but instead it just cuts to black and I found that so much more effective than if they had gone the expected route. And it was refreshing for once to see one of these demon movies that didn't end with that "dunn..dunn...DUNN!!" it's not over moment that sets up a possible sequel (even though I hear there is already a sequel in the works). 

Overall I think this movie works so well because it had the perfect amount of setup to pull you in without getting too boring, and then the payoff delivered on all of it. That exorcism scene..one word: INTENSE. My whole entire theater felt like we were collectively holding our breath that whole time. And I actually felt my heart racing when it was done. Awesome, since I can't remember the last time that happened to me in a horror movie. This  one really lives up to the hype, and it deserves all the success it gets. My favorite wide release of the summer so far, hands down, and I never would have expected to say that.

Grade: A

It works as much more than a horror movie. The scares and the intensity are certainly great, but there's a strong human aspect to this tale. I could genuinely care about the characters, and I gave a damn about what happened to them. The script and acting goes beyond typical horror standards. It's a really good movie that delivered the goods. The only thing is that I didn't feel like the stuff with the doll added a whole lot to the story, and the movie could have been fine with this cut out. 

Still, I quite liked this.

• Like 2

It works as much more than a horror movie. The scares and the intensity are certainly great, but there's a strong human aspect to this tale. I could genuinely care about the characters, and I gave a damn about what happened to them. The script and acting goes beyond typical horror standards. It's a really good movie that delivered the goods. The only thing is that I didn't feel like the stuff with the doll added a whole lot to the story, and the movie could have been fine with this cut out. 

Still, I quite liked this.

Yep, the characters were very easy to get interested in, and that's not an easy feat at all for horror.

You nailed what my one and only complaint would be. The doll felt just kind of tacked on for a few additional scares, and it didn't have much connection to the story it seemed. I guess except maybe just to show how the demons can use certain objects as conduits, like the music box was.

• Like 1

It works as much more than a horror movie. The scares and the intensity are certainly great, but there's a strong human aspect to this tale. I could genuinely care about the characters, and I gave a damn about what happened to them. The script and acting goes beyond typical horror standards. It's a really good movie that delivered the goods. The only thing is that I didn't feel like the stuff with the doll added a whole lot to the story, and the movie could have been fine with this cut out. Still, I quite liked this.

I found the doll very creepy

A beautifully made and enjoyable spookfest that has a classic feel to it. Its just incredibly well directed compared to your average haunted house movie, and I actually loved the atmosphere and the build up and the characters. While I dont think Conjuring is as disturbing, its easily the best horror movie since Sinister. I will definitely be seeing it again.

4,5/5

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 2

Grade: B

Not much to say except it was a well done "paint by numbers" film that just so happened to have a great cast. That alone helped keep it above the seminal fray of other films like this. 

Nothing ground breaking, new or exceptional here.

I think the horror fans who got excited, then disappointed, at being lured into The Purge are overselling this cause it at least delivers and is solid. It's just not OMG BEST. THING. EVAH!!!

This movie also reinforces reasons why 98% of horror movies are relegated to DVD for me.

The asshole yelling "BOO", twice.

The young 20-ish couple taking a self pic, with flash, 20min into the actual film...also TWICE!!

This type film draws a lower class of person on average and in quantities as my experience goes.

• Like 1

I don't get this... It wasn't scary AT ALL.

I've found The Woman in Black more scary than this. If this scared the shit out of you, I don't suggest watching A Haunted House documentary.

Right, thought I'd give you a more detailed review.

First of all, the movie progressed really slow! I mean, the material right there could've fit in a 45 minutes documentary instead of a movie that is longer than one hour and a half. Until the 30 minute mark, ABSOLUTELY nothing scary (and by scary I mean an attempt to scare the viewer) happened.

Then, all the scares that were there appeared in the freaking trailer. And those scares were literally the only ones who could've scared the viewer - but since I've already seen them they didn't do shit. The few scenes that weren't in the trailer weren't scary at all, so when it comes to scare, it's a fail... which is bad considering it's a horror.

Through the movie, I actually managed to get a few laughs: one time at the face of the doll when Judy was attacked - I laughed way too hard at her face. The other laughs were at demon's face... They were really... funny. I can't call them scary because they weren't.

Uhm yeah... The quality was there. The directing was good, but the scares weren't convincing enough and the trailers were too revealing. The only scene that got a slight jump out of me was with that nurse (The second time when the cop entered the room and she jumped on him).

As I said, the scares weren't convincing but the movie was good. I'd consider it a thriller, but I wasn't on the edge of my seat once, either. I'm going to give it a B- for the effort, but it's certainly not one of the best horrors in the past decade or things like that.

• Like 1