Olive

Thurs Early #s:DM2 5m,Turbo 4.2,GU2 3.8,PR 3.1(Rth)/Conjuring 3.3M prev.

Thats actually not so bad for RIPD.

Burn me at the stake for saying this, but while I found the Conjuring very good, I'm hesitant to call it "great" or "incredibly scary," to be honest, and I get scared shitless of most things. It was very much just a well done exorcism/demon movie, not really a great haunted house. My audience seemed to feel the same way- liked it, not loved it. Should have good legs for a horror movie, but not for a movie in general by any means. Much closer in quality to something like the Grudge than the Ring or the first Paranormal Activity.

Couldnt agree more.
  • Like 1

I love this about horror. Its maybe the most subjective genre out thete. I didn't like sinister at all. I thought it was paint by numbers kind of horror film and I knew every scare before it happened. I understand why people would like it that much. that is one of the reasons why I love horror. it appeals to so many different people in so many different ways.

• Like 7

Sinister wasn't perfect, but it was one of the scarier films I've seen over the past few years.

The whole deal with watching old grainy home movies in a dark room was especially creepy.

• Like 2

I love this about horror. Its maybe the most subjective genre out thete. I didn't like sinister at all. I thought it was paint by numbers kind of horror film and I knew every scare before it happened. I understand why people would like it that much. that is one of the reasons why I love horror. it appeals to so many different people in so many different ways.

Definitely with you on this one.  Yeah I know, big shock :P   But even we sometimes don't always agree on horror flicks.  Like you said, it's why the genre can be so good and bad at the same time.

• Like 1

Burn me at the stake for saying this, but while I found the Conjuring very good, I'm hesitant to call it "great" or "incredibly scary," to be honest, and I get scared shitless of most things. It was very much just a well done exorcism/demon movie, not really a great haunted house. My audience seemed to feel the same way- liked it, not loved it. Should have good legs for a horror movie, but not for a movie in general by any means. Much closer in quality to something like the Grudge than the Ring or the first Paranormal Activity. 

So what does PA offer? 3 scares and bad actors. I actually was disappointed after I saw it on DVD, but that's probably my fault, works much better on screen.

• Like 1

So what does PA offer? 3 scares and bad actors. I actually was disappointed after I saw it on DVD, but that's probably my fault, works much better on screen.

In my opinion, PA felt incredibly visceral and real, and the isolation the characters felt translated very well on screen. The lack of special effects and the slow burn got me more than anything in the last half of this movie, which, spoilers aside, is filled with creepy makeup and very visible effects that took me out of it. 

• Like 3

Sinister wasn't perfect, but it was one of the scarier films I've seen over the past few years.

The whole deal with watching old grainy home movies in a dark room was especially creepy.

Agreed! It should definitely have made more. It was a good refresher to the haunted house genre.