Chewy

Weekend Estimates (starting pg 50) July 19-21

So there is a 3rd movie because STID flopped?

It didn't flop but it didn't make more money (that its increased budget aimed for) either. And before anyone brings up slight OS jump, studios still make the most money from dom OW and while OS totals look good on paper, studios don't see much of it.

Also, Narnia had 3 or 4 sequels altogether, despite second movie's serious drop. So obviously, like in STiD case, merchandize saves the day not tickets sold.

RED 2 swiped $6.3M on Friday, and will debut with less than $20M this weekend. The original opened w/ $21M.

Lionsgate just killed a franchise by releasing it in the Summer.

It didn't flop but it didn't make more money (that its increased budget aimed for) either. And before anyone brings up slight OS jump, studios still make the most money from dom OW and while OS totals look good on paper, studios don't see much of it.

Also, Narnia had 3 or 4 sequels altogether, despite second movie's serious drop. So obviously, like in STiD case, merchandize saves the day not tickets sold.

The studios still get at least 35% of international grosses, 45% for major films. Even using the lowest usual figure I'm sure Paramount didn't mind pocketing over $75 million from STID's overseas run.

The studios still get at least 35% of international grosses, 45% for major films. Even using the lowest usual figure I'm sure Paramount didn't mind pocketing over $75 million from STID's overseas run.

Only $75 mio? Considering how huge jumps sequels to trully anticipated movies make, STiD is probably the lowest increasing over-budgeted sequel in recent memory.

RED 2 swiped $6.3M on Friday, and will debut with less than $20M this weekend. The original opened w/ $21M.

Lionsgate just killed a franchise by releasing it in the Summer.

In Korea will open witn $6.5m(910.000 admissions)

Red opened with $1m...

Only $75 mio? Considering how huge jumps sequels to trully anticipated movies make, STiD is probably the lowest increasing over-budgeted sequel in recent memory.

That's because the first only did $128 million. STID was NOT a moneymaker, but it's percentage increase over the first film internationally was still decent.

• Like 1

I kinda cringe every time I read someone gush about STID

That's a movie that people are going to look back on in a couple years and wonder what they were thinking when they raved about it

It's sooooooo much worse than ST09

• Like 2

I kinda cringe every time I read someone gush about STIDThat's a movie that people are going to look back on in a couple years and wonder what they were thinking when they raved about itIt's sooooooo much worse than ST09

I personally feel that way about IM3...
  • Like 1

I personally feel that way about IM3...

IM3 is not a bad movie but I completely disliked the 2nd half of the movie. It turned into a complete joke. Literally.
  • Like 5