Chewy

Weekend Estimates (starting pg 50) July 19-21

If it had followed TS3, it would've made 310.1M... If only. :( The only appeal of a Batman/Superman at this point would be if it was Baleman or even JGL. They can't introduce a new Batman in a Batman/Superman movie.

Of course they can.It's a simple re-introduction.Everyone knows about Batman. He'll just be played by a different actor.

After Earth aside there is no question that Will Smith is a bigger draw than RR.

That's not the point, We all know Smith is a bigger draw, but the point is even Will Smith cannot save a movie when is doomed

He has already risen. 

meant rising to become a movie star. i mean you can argue he is but he hasnt reach that  level yet like oldies.

it funny that  Tatum is the only youngest actor in forbes highest paid actors.

• Like 1

Damn, poor Pacific Rim. A 60% drop for an original film in mid-summer is just bad, no matter which way you spin it. Fanboy favorite director or not, that is just really bad. Well, this definitely isn't helping the case for less adaptations and more original risks. :(

The Conjuring is doing great though. Word of mouth is better than any horror movie in a long time, so it might it be able to defy the usual frontloadedness of the genre and get to $40 million anyway?

Grown Ups 2 is fading fast, RIPD and Red 2 flopped like fucking crazy. They'll be in discount theaters in a month, maybe less. Turbo might miss $20 million in worst case scenario, so DWA is definitely not going to have a fun time in the coming months. Despicable Me 2 is still pulling some great numbers though.

Depends on how the studios look at it. Because on the other hand you have an adaptation like The Lone Ranger which is an even bigger flop. Also, while they are original in the sense that they're both non-sequels, Pacific Rim and White House Down are derivative of other movies (WHD especially, for obvious reasons). 

I guess my point is that...we'll just have to hope that studios, which are already risk-averse as it is, don't take these performances to mean "sequels, and only sequels." After all, Now You See Me, This is the End, and The Conjuring are original.

I guess my point is that...we'll just have to hope that studios, which are already risk-averse as it is, don't take these performances to mean "sequels, and only sequels."

yeah

hopefully

I'm always more sad when an original movie flops :(

If it holds well, RED2 could be

Catherine Zeta-Jones (40+)

9th 50+M movie

BruceWillis (50+)

24th 50+M movie.

John Malkovich (60 this year)

11th 50+M Movie

AnthonyHopkins (70+)

11th 50+M movie

• Like 1

Of course they can.It's a simple re-introduction.Everyone knows about Batman. He'll just be played by a different actor.

They can introduce him in a solo Batman movie (not an origin story).

My heart aches for most of these numbers :( Red should have gone back to fall just too much competition, and I know we say that very summer but I don't think I've seen a summer in my nearly 10 years if tracking the box office where the legs were so crappy and theater holds so bad for so many films.

This documentary The Act of Killing, which just came out, is currently 98% at RT and has been praised by Werner Herzog and Mark Kermode, looks terribly interesting. A major contender for best documentary Oscar.

Edited by Jack Nevada

WWZ held better than MU. A zombie movie holding better than a family movie? Incredible. Though WWZ is benefitting from getting a lot of female appeal

There's more competition for the family movie than the zombie movie right now

My heart aches for most of these numbers :( Red should have gone back to fall just too much competition, and I know we say that very summer but I don't think I've seen a summer in my nearly 10 years if tracking the box office where the legs were so crappy and theater holds so bad for so many films.

And it's going to keep happening if studios keep throwing multiple tentpoles at us every weekend. Too many movies.
  • Like 2

That's not the point, We all know Smith is a bigger draw, but the point is even Will Smith cannot save a movie when is doomed

And that's a great point. I didn't get that from your initial post though.