luna

Best directors of all-time

he'll be remembered for sure. Most likely won't get on any critics top list but at least people won't scratch their heads when they read his name unlike PTA and the likes whose movies only snobs watch.

Yeah I've never understood the obsession with PTA and when it comes to crowd pleasing movies, Bay is definitely up there whether people like to admit it or not. Edited by Jessie

but we're talking the best of all time.  David Lynch is too weird and esoteric imo to be one of the best.  Polanski is good no doubt, but I don't know, all time?

i believe they have made the best movies from those i've seen so far. that makes them the best directors.

i don't really give a damn about influence or who remembers what, only the films that i think have the best direction.

von trier has three movies in my top ten (melancholia, dancer in the dark, dogville), lynch and polanski 3 in my top 30-ish (inland empire, eraserhead, blue velvet ;;; rosemary's baby, the pianist, chinatown). so that's where they come from.

Edited by lisa

i believe they have made the best movies from those i've seen so far. that makes them the best directors.

i don't really give a damn about influence or who remembers what, only the films that i think have the best direction.

von trier has three movies in my top ten (melancholia, dancer in the dark, dogville), lynch and polanski 3 in my top 30-ish (inland empire, eraserhead, blue velvet ;;; rosemary's baby, the pianist, chinatown). so that's where they come from.

Thank you for the explanation.  

Top 10:

Spielberg

Cameron

Scorcese

Alan Parker (he's made some of my fave films)

Michael Bay 

Stanley Kubrick

Federico Fellini 

Dario Argento

Hitchcock

Rob Reiner (Stand By Me and A Few Good Men are masterful)

• Like 1

Spielberg... Im sorry no one compares, show me a Director that can go from Jurassic Park a perfect blockbuster that shattered records and my favorite movie of all time. Only to follow it up by winning an Oscar for literally the exact opposite in Schindler list, which I consider the best movie of all time. 

• Like 5

Spielberg... Im sorry no one compares, show me a Director that can go from Jurassic Park a perfect blockbuster that shattered records and my favorite movie of all time. Only to follow it up by winning an Oscar for literally the exact opposite in Schindler list, which I consider the best movie of all time. 

I think many consider Spielberg is below some untouchables like Kubrick or Welles just because he has directed blockbusters. I think that there is something extremely hard making movies: after making tons of money, change to make a little movie to thrill. That is the difference, IMHO, between Spielberg and others like Cameron (a very effectist director, but very average). Very few directors have the variety of sources that Spielberg has. In time, he will be considered as he deserves.

• Like 1

Cameron has to be  considered in the same light, but because Speilberg has such a vast amount of memorable movies. I will definitely go with Speilberg as the greatest moviemaker of all time. .Cameron is overall the most talented. he can write, direct, design all new things to move his movie genius forward...Not too many filmakers have Camerons talents.

So number 1 is Speiberg,  2nd and the number one epic film maker of them all is James Cameron. He is the only one that can  constantly top himself and blow all directors work and push envelopes again and again.

Amazing what Speilberg did from ET-to JP, From JP to films like Schindlers list and Saving Private Ryan t Lincoln!

Cameron with Terminator to Abyss, To Terminator 2 to Titanic, Titanic to Avatar.

I mean the man makes a movie about a story we all love  and is known through and through and turns into something that get 13 oscars and becomes unbreakable. Took Cameron to break Cameron.

In terms of epic and overall greatness in film making.

Only Speilberg and Cameron conquer all!

^^ James Cameron.. Also the only director to make back to back films that land him in the 1-2 spot and that both had over 80 film Awards and won ocars. It was jealousy why Cameron didnt own the oscars again with his Avatar and that they wanted to give the best picture oscar to a woman for the first time. Avatar owned awards shows all over the world including Golden globes.

^^ James Cameron.. Also the only director to make back to back films that land him in the 1-2 spot and that both had over 80 film Awards and won ocars. It was jealousy why Cameron didnt own the oscars again with his Avatar and that they wanted to give the best picture oscar to a woman for the first time. Avatar owned awards shows all over the world including Golden globes.

I like Cameron but Spielberg has done more then twice as many films and jump genres all the time.

Minority Report big Sci Action film, next movie Catch Me If You Can, he's done it over and over again throughout his career. 

Top 10:

Spielberg

Cameron

Scorcese

Alan Parker (he's made some of my fave films)

Michael Bay 

Stanley Kubrick

Federico Fellini 

Dario Argento

Hitchcock

Rob Reiner (Stand By Me and A Few Good Men are masterful)

i underestimated you...if only a little bit. ;)