luna

Best directors of all-time

How can you put such greats and not ad Frank Capra, Cecille Demille, James Cameron to that list :-O!!!?

I like Cameron . Love T2 just didn't make the list. As for the other two haven't seen enough of their films to give a fair consensus

I like Cameron but Spielberg has done more then twice as many films and jump genres all the time.

Minority Report big Sci Action film, next movie Catch Me If You Can, he's done it over and over again throughout his career. 

Oh speilberg is the king, but pound for pound its James Cameron in terms of quality and diversity. As hes never had a horrible film. Spielberg has quite a few rotten eggs.  Loved Minority Report and Catch me if you can. Oh by the way it was Cameron that helped any big film with Leo to happen. He put Leo on the map totally with Titanic. :)

I like Cameron . Love T2 just didn't make the list. As for the other two haven't seen enough of their films to give a fair consensus

I hear you Dar.. Look up Frank Capra I think he even did the film with James Stewart its a wonderful Life :)..

Have to check but I remember him doing quite a few of the classics. Cecille Demille (Ten Commandments-one of the greatest epics period and films of alltime and Samson  and Deliah and others)

Oh speilberg is the king, but pound for pound its James Cameron in terms of quality and diversity. As hes never had a horrible film. Spielberg has quite a few rotten eggs.  Loved Minority Report and Catch me if you can. Oh by the way it was Cameron that helped any big film with Leo to happen. He put Leo on the map totally with Titanic. :)

quality is debatable and it depends on tastes too, but more diversity Cameron than Spielberg? really?

Edited by peludo
  • Like 1

1. Alfred Hitchcock

2. Hayao Miyazaki

whatever rank:

- Danny Boyle

- Duncan Jones

- Wes Anderson

- Mike Leigh

- Satoshi Kon

- Naomi Kawase

- Ang Lee

- François Truffaut

- Darren Aronofsky

- Sion Sono

- Mamoru Hosoda

- Stanley Kubrick

- Coen Brothers

1. Alfred Hitchcock

2. Hayao Miyazaki

whatever rank:

- Danny Boyle

- Duncan Jones

- Wes Anderson

- Mike Leigh

- Satoshi Kon

- Naomi Kawase

- Ang Lee

- François Truffaut

- Darren Aronofsky

- Sion Sono

- Mamoru Hosoda

- Stanley Kubrick

- Coen Brothers

There is even Wes Anderson, but no Kurosawa, no Coppola, no Scorsese! This is by far the worst, most ridiculous list! :lol:

i've updated my list

http://www.imdb.com/list/gvUw6xKrWLU/

current top ten, including only those from whom i've seen more than three movies:

1. stanley kubrick

2. lars von trier

3. ingmar bergman

4. david lynch

5. fritz lang

6. ethan & joel coen

7. roman polanski

8. federico fellini

9. andrei tarkovsky

10. christopher nolan

strangely there isn't a thread for this yet.

i can only really do a top 5 at the moment

1. stanley kubrick

2. lars von trier

3. david lynch

4. federico fellini

5. roman polanski

you must don't mind a ton of nudity.   :D

My top 5:

Steven Spielberg

Christopher Nolan

James Cameron

Alfred Hitchcock

Martin Scorcese

Edited by lilmac

It's hard to be objective, when you love certain directors' styles and like/love most of their movies, can't help but think they're the best, or better than others  :P

So here's my favorite top 10 list (in no particular order)

Alfred Hitchcock

Stanley Kubrick

Hayao Miyazaki

Martin Scorsese

John Woo

Steven Spielberg 

James Cameron

Ang Lee

Quentin Tarantino

Bong Joon Ho

• Like 1

Like Sam says, it's difficult to be objective when choosing these things. I know my favourites aren't what many people would consider the best and I know I'm not nearly qualified enough to pick the best. So screw them, I'm just gonna pick my favourites.

Mamoru Hosoda

Sergio Leone

John Woo

Quentin Tarantino

Gullermo Del Toro

Martin McDonagh

Hayao Miyazaki

Alfred Hitchcock

Steven Spielberg

Joss Whedon

Double Indemnity and The Apartment are two of my all-time favorites. I have some small issues with Sunset Boulevard, but it's still a hell of a film. I found Some Like It Hot pretty hilarious the last time I watched it, which was a few years ago. I remember how all it took me to become a fan of Jack Lemmon was seeing Some Like It Hot and Glengarry Glen Ross within a few days from one another. 

• Like 1

I mentioned Wilder because of the broad range; he's done classics in such different genres as court room drama (Witness for the Prosecution), comedy (Some Like it Hot), psychological thriller (Sunset Blvd.) or romcom (Irma La Douce). That's really genius; I can't remember Ridley Scott doing a decent comedy. Stanley Kubrick maybe never did a nice romcom but has at least one crazy comedy :lol: 

• Like 1