CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

11 minutes ago, Lucas said:

The journey it has had on Critics' Choice so far is 50, 67, 65 and now 62, which does not bode well.

EDIT: ofc just to add to the utterly fucking surreal similarity between K:SI and Godzilla's scores on MC and RT - ofc they share the same score on Critics' Choice as well (77).

If we go off of that metric, I'd expect a 60s RT score which is fine for this. 

2 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

aren't Critic's Choice the same people who give best visual effects to black panther?

Also the same people we find on websites like RT and MC lol.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

If we go off of that metric, I'd expect a 60s RT score which is fine for this. 

It does lean like that based on that specific metric, but 60s on Critics' Choice is generally rather low everywhere else. Something like A Dog's Journey with a 48% on RT for example has a 71 on CC, Dumbo's got 70 and 47% on RT, etc. With Critics' Choice you basically have to pretend anything under 40 or 50 barely even exists on the metric because you just don't see numbers that low (Fantastic Four has 50).

That's why hovering around 62-67 for as long as this has isn't the best sign.

Edited by Lucas

2 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

aren't Critic's Choice the same people who give best visual effects to black panther?

I dont think film critics are particularly well suited to judging special effects..... and possibly other things as well...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

It does lean like that based on that specific metric, but 60s on Critics' Choice is generally rather low everywhere else. Something like A Dog's Journey with a 48% on RT for example has a 71 on CC, Dumbo's got 70 and 47% on RT, etc. With Critics' Choice you basically have to pretend anything under 40 or 50 barely even exists on the metric because you just don't see numbers that low (Fantastic Four has 50).

That's why hovering around 62-67 for as long as this has isn't the best sign.

Yeah but KSI and G-2014 both have 70s on RT and 70s on Critic's Choice. If we're using those as comps (if we can even call this comps) it's a sign of it being in the 60s. Not to mention with all the newer critics who are easier on movies then the older critics are (Look at how Aladdin is in the high 50s and and Pikachu's in the high 60s) on RT, I'm pretty confident now that it'll be at worst in the 50s.

Well, I’m officially convinced that this probably won’t fare too well with critics, which would explain why the embargo is being lifted so late. 

• Like 1

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Well, I’m officially convinced that this probably won’t fare too well with critics, which would explain why the embargo is being lifted so late. 

By what?

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

By what?

The Critic’s Choice Rating, various cryptic tweets from critics and supposed insiders, and the embargo being lifted so late.

Just now, WittyUsername said:

The Critic’s Choice Rating, various cryptic tweets from critics and supposed insiders, and the embargo being lifted so late.

Fair enough

43 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Yeah but KSI and G-2014 both have 70s on RT and 70s on Critic's Choice. If we're using those as comps (if we can even call this comps) it's a sign of it being in the 60s. Not to mention with all the newer critics who are easier on movies then the older critics are (Look at how Aladdin is in the high 50s and and Pikachu's in the high 60s) on RT, I'm pretty confident now that it'll be at worst in the 50s.

You can't really do that for the reasons I said. The metric on CC is basically 40-100, so if you stretched it to the full 0-100 like RT, then 62 to 77 would be wider apart than just 15%. I don't think I can find anything under 70 to be fresh on RT, and I especially can not find anything as low as 62 to be even in the 50s on RT. Even with 50-59% on RT, that's not exactly good. But I hope for the best.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

You can't really do that for the reasons I said. The metric on CC is basically 40-100, so if you stretched it to the full 0-100 like RT, then 62 to 77 would be wider apart than just 15%. I don't think I can find anything under 70 to be fresh on RT, and I especially can not find anything as low as 62 to be even in the 50s on RT. Even with 50-59% on RT, that's not exactly good. But I hope for the best.

Just looked, Pikachu's at 66 on CC and it's fresh.

Just now, Mulder said:

Fingers crossed, I guess. 

Wouldn't it be funny if this ended up getting worse reviews and than 2014 but audiences ended up liking this one a whole lot more. 

Just now, Galactic Specter said:

Wouldn't it be funny if this ended up getting worse reviews and than 2014 but audiences ended up liking this one a whole lot more. 

That's also entirely possible.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

The odds aren't exactly in its favor if 66 on both sites with an avg rating under 6 is the one outlier example we can find. JW:FK is above that.

Edited by Lucas

Just now, Mulder said:

That's also entirely possible.

I'd argue probable. As I've said since I saw it, this movie sacrifices the elements critics appreciate for the things audiences appreciate. It might be an overcorrection from 2014 but I still think audiences will like it a lot more.

• Like 1

I’m kinda shocked that the reviews from critics seem to be mixed. The reactions from the premiere were absolutely glowing. Although the rumblings I’ve heard (what critics didn’t like) is not enough focus on the human element which is laughable (for the first time in 65 years we finally get a monster centric Godzilla movie). This will definitely be more of an audience film ala Aladdin.

Just now, Lucas said:

The odds aren't exactly in its favor if 66 on both sites with an avg rating under 6 is the one outlier example we can find. JW:FK is above that.

Yeah but you said you had never seen a movie under 70 on CC be fresh, and I just showed you one from literally this month that did it.

1 minute ago, TheDude391 said:

I’m kinda shocked that the reviews from critics seem to be mixed. The reactions from the premiere were absolutely glowing. Although the rumblings I’ve heard (what critics didn’t like) is not enough focus on the human element which is laughable (for the first time in 65 years we finally get a monster centric Godzilla movie). This will definitely be more of an audience film ala Aladdin.

If this is the issue and not HOW it's written...I'm going to be honestly confused as all hell.

Just now, TheDude391 said:

Always take premiere screenings with a grain of salt. That's how you end up going from 90%+ to Rotten like Pet Sematary did.