CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I cannot even fathom seeing this in 3D based on the previews.

Thats the only way i will be able to see it unfortunately.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I cannot even fathom seeing this in 3D based on the previews.

Can you please go concern troll somewhere else.

• Not Cool 2

Based on what I’ve read, they just went straight to the spectacle. So I understand why critics are hating on it, especially since Edwards approach was praised for being ballsy and artistic. LOL

Just now, JGAR4LIFE said:

Based on what I’ve read, they just went straight to the spectacle. So I understand why critics are hating on it, especially since Edwards approach was praised for being ballsy and artistic. LOL

Except this time the characters have development that doesn't take a major analysis of the script to see like it did with G-2014. And I say that while considering G-2014 in the top 5 Godzilla movies of all time.

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It does, but they stopped updating it after 23 reviews, even though many more top critic reviews came in since then. 

Aladdin only has 23 top critics. You can see them listed below. Rocketman’s ratings are fine too with 12 top critics. 

A german newspaper i follow for film critics absolutely hates this movie. Thats a good sign since the last time i agreed with them was in like 2009.

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Except this time the characters have development that doesn't take a major analysis of the script to see like it did with G-2014. And I say that while considering G-2014 in the top 5 Godzilla movies of all time.

Your opinion 

You may be a fellow Godzilla fan and a Monsterverse follower like myself but we have to face the reality bro. Not everyone liked 2014.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Aladdin only has 23 top critics. You can see them listed below. Rocketman’s ratings are fine too with 12 top critics. 

Nope. It definitely has more than that. It’s been listed as having 23 top critic reviews since last Wednesday, and many more came in since then. 

Also, if you click on the link for top critics for Aladdin, you’ll notice that only 10 of them are shown. 

Edited by WittyUsername

3 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

So what??? 

Well since we’re discussing the reviews of the film, it seemed relevant. It’s surprising that they rated it so low, I guess they didn’t get a set visit.

9 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Fallen Kingdom is a great movie, you must be pissed it grossed 1.3 billion. :) 

I don't care about FK's BO, it's a terrible terrible movie no matter how much it grossed. The only thing I'm still pissed about is its quality.

• Like 2

Going back to work. Do I party if this is at 60 rt score later?

It’s still very early, remember Aladdin actually started off fresh in the 70’s last week so anything can happen. 

4 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Your opinion 

You may be a fellow Godzilla fan and a Monsterverse follower like myself but we have to face the reality bro. Not everyone liked 2014.

I know, never said anybody did. I just find it bizarre when KoTM's human plot is much better constructed and developed.

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Thats the only way i will be able to see it unfortunately.

Outside of IMAX 3D for Endgame I've been lucky to avoid any 3D screenings since Solo (which made me not want to go to a single regular 3D screening ever again and hope the format dies a painful death), and since December my local theaters seem to have ceased with 3D showings altogether, so happy times.

Just now, cookie said:

Outside of IMAX 3D for Endgame I've been lucky to avoid any 3D screenings since Solo (which made me not want to go to a single regular 3D screening ever again and hope the format dies a painful death), and since December my local theaters seem to have ceased with 3D showings altogether, so happy times.

You know, that doesnt make me feel any better.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Going back to work. Do I party if this is at 60 rt score later?

Frankly, I think 50s is fine.  Not great, but fine.

As I was just putting it  to someone privately:

< 35 RT:  Wow it really must be terrible.

36-45 RT:  Eh, you know how critics are, might check it out.

45-60 RT:  Nah, critics are snobs, I think I'll still see it for the destruction.

I might consider the "Doomsday line" to be around 33 to 35 or so. Still could get a lot of good WOM naturally.  But I think that's when it really gets impacted initially.

====

Doesn't look like it'll land in the 30s, so probably not a concern on that front.

• Like 6

I liked it a ton, fuck this noise. Tweeted out my first reactions then looked at the reviews and I'm like wut.

Anyway it's dumb but mad fun in the way the original Independence Day or Pacific Rim were, except more earnest and it takes itself a bit more seriously, I actually thought it recaptured that ID4 spirit better than Del Toro because it didn't have that self-parody that PR had I thought. In any case, it's worth it for the monster fights alone because on a giant IMAX laser screen they were seriously incredible. Human characters and the overall storyline your mileage may vary...but really I think the best way to describe it is a very purposeful 180 from Edwards' film (almost *too much*, if the critical response is to go by), it lacks the overall finesse and groundedness but dials absolutely everything else up to 11. The neon-soaked visuals I loved, the sci-fi, almost at times Star Wars-like bent I loved, the way they go all in on the whole Monarch thing and do essentially what BvS did with using the ramifications of final act of the last film as the set up for this one, I loved. It evokes a lot of Emmerich and Bay and imo then manages to run circles around both of their post-90s work (when this makes you care about the monsters more than Bay did his Transformers...). Cast is clearly having a ton of fun here hamming it up through the seriousness and earnestness, even Watanabe.

Book this on the biggest screen you can, hell maybe even throw 3D and 4DX into it. Certainly going to book 4DX for round 2 at some point

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

Given how dark Solo was in 2D in the theaters, I can't imagine what pain 3D brought upon the film.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Frankly, I think 50s is fine.  Not great, but fine.

As I was just putting it  to someone privately:

< 35 RT:  Wow it really must be terrible.

36-45 RT:  Eh, you know how critics are, might check it out.

45-60 RT:  Nah, critics are snobs, I think I'll still see it for the destruction.

I might consider the "Doomsday line" to be around 33 to 35 or so. Still could get a lot of good WOM naturally.  But I think that's when it really gets impacted initially.

====

Doesn't look like it'll land in the 30s, so probably not a concern on that front.

I agree but...60s definitely makes everyone feel better so here's hoping. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Just now, harrisonisdead said:

Given how dark Solo was in 2D in the theaters, I can't imagine what pain 3D brought upon the film.

Solo in 3D gave my boyfriend motion sickness so bad he had to leave.

• Sad 1