CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Mulder said:

t besides that, interesting to note the new rotten review is from another top critic. I think this is going to be like Pikachu, Alita, Krampus etc as I've said a few times now. 

I'm hoping it's more like Krampus. I watched that last week and although it is a flawed film, the monster designs are amazing and it is one of the most enjoyable horror movies I have seen. 

Also hoping it's like the 2nd and 3rd Pirates movies. Characters are pretty mediocre but the CGI is some of the best and the action is unmatched by most modern day blockbusters.

Also, 10/10 from Bob Chipman/Moviebob

Edited by lorddemaxus

Already expected this one will be at borderline fresh rotten.

Hopefully it’s well liked by audiences rather than having fresh reviews than divisive among audiences.

The Thursday preview start at 4 pm keep that in mind in the weekend thread, so it'll be a bit inflated. 

1 minute ago, Mr Impossible said:

The Thursday preview start at 4 pm keep that in mind in the weekend thread, so it'll be a bit inflated. 

Why is WB starting all of their movies at 4 now? They even did it for The Sun is Also a Star two weeks ago and that was a total flop.

• Like 1

welp. not surprised. hopefully that weak story doesn't bother me. I really love 2014 one so..

Posted (edited)

Reviews in 2014 - Too much humans, too little monsters.

Reviews in 2019 - Too much monster fights, too little humans.

Oh, the double standards.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

IMAX showings in particular are starting to fill up pretty quickly in my area.

8 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Reviews in 2014 - Too much humans, too little monsters.

Reviews in 2019 - Too much monster fights, too little humans.

Oh, the double standards.

different people have different thoughts. It's just like every time someone came and said "this is the best of MCU."

• Like 1

Does anyone actually care about the humans in these monster movies?

It is like Disaster Movies, you are there to watch things go boom and destruction. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Does anyone actually care about the humans in these monster movies?

It is like Disaster Movies, you are there to watch things go boom and destruction. 

I'm pretty sure one of the reasons why so many people were disappointed in the first (even more than Godzilla not having too much in the way screen time) was because Bryan Cranston exited the movie before the halfway point after the marketing had put him front and center lol. The Breaking Bad afterglow was immense at the time.

Edited by filmlover

Out of the humans all I want to see is Ken Watanabe popping in and out of the screen like a deranged whack-a-mole stating "Let them Fight" over and over again, with the occasionally "Gojira" for good measure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm pretty sure one of the reasons why so many people were disappointed in the first was because Bryan Cranston exited the movie before the halfway point after the marketing had put him front and center lol. The Breaking Bad afterglow was immense at the time.

I think that is also partly because there was little action going on as well. Every time there might be a fight *Cut* Cut

We focus on the humans and how bad the main character is the movie because well they downplay Godzilla in Godzilla 14.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

Despite my club I'm actually quite disappointed in the reviews, I was hoping to do a triple feature with this, Rocketman and John Wick. 

If audience reviews end up being good I'll still go, just later.

13 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

different people have different thoughts. It's just like every time someone came and said "this is the best of MCU."

Yeah, but still, it's hard to see how one movie got criticism for less action & it's sequel is getting criticism for rectifying that mistake.

Also despite all the criticism about boring male lead and his story, it seems that boring male lead and his story impressed critics who were probably happy that there is a human being, being cared about in a monster movie despite him not being that good.

Is anybody really watching this for the story?

4 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Well, I am also watching this for the cast (and they got a lot of good actors in this). :lol:

How is the ink for the cast (with what they're given, at least) by the way, in particular MBB? Been hoping that this + Godzilla vs. Kong would kick off her career away from Stranger Things promisingly even if no one's going to see it for her.

Nice little tribute to Haruo Nakajima :)

Posted (edited)

There is a reason there is literally a trope named for what audiences want to see in Godzilla films. All the socio-political commentary, the human stories, etc, nah, what people really want to see is Godzilla smashing cities and fighting other monsters.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JustHereForGodzilla

Has been the case since King Kong vs Godzilla at least.

Edited by Ithil

13 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

It's not so much "watching for the story" as "do the human characters/story take away from the film so much that it becomes bad."

That can be all the difference between the base coming out, the action junkies loving it, and it breaking out.

So, it does matter.  Not as much as some genres, no.  But it still matters.

• Like 3