CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

Posted (edited)

This result is not bad and actually is predictable.

Still, if you want a film full of monsters fighting, this is it.

This movie reminded me of Aquaman, from the point of view of an audience. The similarity is stories of both are not really strong, and the difference is that James Wan knows more about how to controll your attention. Aquaman may have something that is stupid in our mind, but Wan is pretty smart and won't even let you notice those weaknesses. Dougherty did let monsters keep fighting, which would make you feel thrilled, but he couldn't hide the biggest weakness of the movie in a smart way, and I personally think many audience would not stop thinking why human are so stupid after seeing this, even if they are those who only want monster fighting.

It's that kind of situation that you keep telling(I prefer using "deluding") yourself "I only want those fighting" but your insider is telling you "no, you do notice those stupid human parts and just can't move on." This could be the problem of G2 for general audience in my opinion. That's why Godzilla fans might think we have a double standard for it.

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

This movie reminded me of Aquaman, from the point of view of an audience. The similarity is stories of both are not really strong, and the difference is that James Wan knows more about how to controll your attention. Aquaman may have something that is stupid in our mind, but Wan is pretty smart and won't even let you notice those weaknesses. Dougherty did let monsters keep fighting, which would make you feel thrilled, but he couldn't hide the biggest weakness of the movie in a smart way, and I personally think many audience would not stop thinking why human are so stupid after seeing this, even if they are those who only want monster fighting.

It's that kind of situation that you keep telling(I prefer using "deluding") yourself "I only want those fighting" but your insider is telling you "no, you do notice those stupid human parts and just can't move on." This could be the problem of G2 for general audience in my opinion. That's why Godzilla fans might think we have a double standard for it.

Aquaman's flaws are still out there in the open. It's still a wholly stupid movie. Wan takes advantage of the fact that the expectation for anything deeper doesn't exist, and that people aren't there for a technically good film or anything more than action and CGI. Do audiences have a higher expectation from a movie explicitly about kaijus fighting? I may be wrong and I know we will soon find out, but I really don't think the situations are very different. They are both blockbuster CGI spectacles with no expectations except for that spectacle. James Wan isn't a genius for figuring out what audiences expect from his movie.

Edited by harrisonisdead
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Or people have different opinions, it's not deluding yourself if you genuinely think the human parts are good (I'm not alone, some reviews actually do specify they like the human parts).

Seems to be staying at 56% rn. We'll see what happens but it's a good sign.

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Or people have different opinions, it's not deluding yourself if you genuinely think the human parts are good (I'm not alone, some reviews actually do specify they like the human parts).

Yes, some might really think human's parts are great in this movie, but would they? I think most positive reactions still will be "I only want...and it showed it to me, which is enough" instead of "I love human parts" after it opens.

2 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Yes, some might really think human's parts are great in this movie, but would they? I think most positive reactions still will be "I only want...and it showed it to me, which is enough" instead of "I love human parts" after it opens.

I mean I don't disagree but in general that's what a lot of people want out of these films, even if the humans are good.

Add this to the credits and watch your RT score go up 20% @MrGamer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

Aquaman's flaws are still out there in the open. It's still a wholly stupid movie. Wan takes advantage of the fact that the expectation for anything deeper doesn't exist, and that people aren't there for a technically good film or anything more than action and CGI. Do audiences have a higher expectation from a movie explicitly about kaijus fighting? I may be wrong and I know we will soon find out, but I really don't think the situations are very different. They are both blockbuster CGI spectacles with no expectations except for that spectacle. James Wan isn't a genius for figuring out what audiences expect from his movie.

This line is not wrong or at least some think in that way. But $1.1 billion gross and those reactions showed general audience did really agree James Wan. I am not sure if G2 will have a major breakthrough in box office in terms of this franchise itself, like for example, $700-800M.

1 minute ago, Gavin Feng said:

This line is not wrong or at least some think in that way. But $1.1 billion gross and those reactions showed general audience did really agree James Wan. I am not sure if G2 will have a major breakthrough in box office in terms of this franchise itself, like for example, $700-800M.

Holiday legs in America+a big China break-out is mainly what got Aquaman to where it got to.

Bummer that it's not great given those trailers. 

Posted (edited)

Super Hot Take

The human characters in Godzilla movies are always really a mixed bag. There are totally exceptions to the rule, but there is a very clear reason why most Godzilla movies do not have recurring characters (outside of Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla and Tokyo SOS and parts of the Heisei trilogy) 

The original Godzilla had to rely on its human cast because they were introducing the world to the concept of Godzilla. As the film's progressed, the human plots really took a backseat to everything else. I couldn't tell you what the humans were doing in Godzilla vs Megalon or what the alien's plan was in Destroy All Monsters. All I know, is that as a kid I watched them for Godzilla and I watch them now occasionally for Godzilla.

There is only one Godzilla movie that I thought had a strong plot and that was GMK. This is the sole exception. Anytime they overly focus on the human characters it becomes extremely talky and tedious like Shin Godzilla (which I enjoy greatly due to its more horror movie take on Godzilla and every scene that zombie looking, googly-eyed beast is in is a breathtaker), or just really, really, really BORING (like the Netflix Godzilla trilogy - though I sorta, kinda like the first entry for having one of the best Godzilla entrances).

To me, the humans have always been a subplot to the actual story (Big Monster is Awakened/Comes to Earth/Shows up and causes destruction, Godzilla comes out, sometimes teaming up with another monster, has a big first battle where he might be defeated and then comes back in the end, beats the villain monster, roars, and then goes back to the ocean).  The movies have always been a variance of this. G14 follows this, I'm gonna assume KOTM does this too. The human plot is basically the Elmer's Glue holding the movies together. Sometimes the glue is stronger than others. Really, if you want to a kaiju film that focuses more on the humans, go with Pacific Rim I only ever liked the first 15 minutes the rest got bogged down with the humans which I never found interesting outside of Elba and maybe Perlman who was horrifically underused.

I'm seeing KOTM for Godzilla, Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra, not the dad from Super 8. If the human plot is good enough, that may just be a pleasant surprise.

Clearly there will be some who do not agree with my opinion, but that's my two cents.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

6 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Add this to the credits and watch your RT score go up 20% @MrGamer

Not gonna lie, nothing would ever top Bear McCreary remaking Come With Me. Ever.

• Astonished 1

Really disappointing this is the third Godzilla film to not get an overall great reception over here after some amazing trailers. I just hope it does decent enough to not kill the franchise again.

I just want to see a universally praised American Godzilla film in my lifetime.

1 minute ago, MrGamer said:

Not gonna lie, nothing would ever top Bear McCreary remaking Come With Me. Ever.

Should Zilla ever appear in a Monsterverse movie, that song should be blaring upon his entrance. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaotic-strike said:

Really disappointing this is the third Godzilla film to not get an overall great reception over here after some amazing trailers. I just hope it does decent enough to not kill the franchise again.

I just want to see a universally praised American Godzilla film in my lifetime.

Nothing will ever be universally praised from this franchise honestly. American critics are just not ever going to be 100% down with it. The best we'll get critically imo is G-2014.

I'd put Come With Me in the same 90's musical time capsule as the Space Jam soundtrack and *insert Seal song here*. 

Also The Meg has an absolutely braindead cast and that did fine legs wise.

12 minutes ago, kaijukurt said:

Didn’t they do this for Infinity War and Endgame?

• Astonished 1

I get what gavin is saying, saw that many similar audience review. (opened in korea) and seems like wom is avg at best.

also literally everyone is dragging the story side. some are even saying it's boring and tired.